T Nation

Wording on 'Supplement Facts'

Hey All,
I’m taking a magnesium supplement, and the label says 100mg. magnesium “as” magnesium aspartate per capsule. What are they telling me with the 100mg.? Are they telling me that the capsule contains 100 mg. of powder, and some of that is elemental magnesium? OR, Are they saying that there’s actually 100mg. of elemental magnesium, and that the capsule weighs therefore weighs more than 100mg.?

This is rather confusing. I read my bottle of boron, and it says boron 3mg. “from” boron citrate,glycinate,aspartate.
What am I really getting?

I put quotation marks around “as” and “from”, because I’m assuming they mean different things, but I’m not sure.

BTW, I called the company for the first magnesium product, and the customer service woman didn’t know.

If someone knows, I’d really appreciate an explanation.

Thanks,
Steve

I would assume that was the actual amount of Magnesium you are getting.

This is because the amount should correspond to the RDI, so you can work it out from that.
(ie if RDI is 100mg and each serve is 100mg and the percentage of RDI for each serve is %100)

[quote]nickto21 wrote:
Hey All,
I’m taking a magnesium supplement, and the label says 100mg. magnesium “as” magnesium aspartate per capsule. What are they telling me with the 100mg.? Are they telling me that the capsule contains 100 mg. of powder, and some of that is elemental magnesium? OR, Are they saying that there’s actually 100mg. of elemental magnesium, and that the capsule weighs therefore weighs more than 100mg.?
[/quote]

You are reading too much into this.

It’s exactly what it says: 100 mg elemental Magnesium in the form of Magnesium aspartate.