T Nation

Womens Olympic Weighlifting Classes

Holy Heffer Batman !

Did anyone else see the womens 75+ kg class ?

I personally think it is time to have the women fall into the same weight categories

as the men.

That way women who do not weight 300+ fucking pounds could compete at a more respectable

80 / 90 / 100 / 110 / 120 + weight class. Any thoughts ?

They added more classes to the women, I don’t know where they will fall. There are some big women out there… Our Olympians form 2012 and 2016 particularly.

There is really no chance a woman between in the 50# spread between 75 and 100kilos is competitive. Tatiana kashirina is probably only 110-120 I would guess… Of pure muscle though. She’s competitive for being on the smaller side of the super ladies.

You could say the same about the men though. There are guys out there at 120-125 that don’t really have any business competing at the 330 pounders at 6’4 and are more athletic than they would be weighing 105.

You gotta draw the line somewhere.

I don’t think that’s a very good idea.

Firstly, men and women are built differently, with men being generally bigger and stronger, and as a result the weight classes for men and women should be determined separately. This seems to me like it should be common sense. Even the men, in the range you discussed, only have the 85s, 94s, 105s, and 105+.

Secondly, I looked at the bodyweights of women competing in the superheavyweight class at worlds/olympics all the way back to the '08 Olympics and there was a grand total of 4 women who weighed in at 300 pounds or more (3 of them American); from 2012 on Holley Mangold and post-ban Sarah Robles have been the only ones, and before that it was only Olha Korobka (until she was banned in 2011 and retired) and Cheryl Haworth, who weighed in at almost exactly 300 pounds (official BW 136.29kg) at the '08 Games. The average weight of the competitors was generally between 100-110kg (~220-242 pounds), and none of the 300+ pounders won any of those competitions. Basically I think the knee-jerk reaction to juggle the weight classes because of a few extreme outliers is the exact opposite of how the weight classes should be determined, i.e. through an analysis of the distribution of lifter size around the world. You have to look at the population as a whole, not at individuals.

Third, I have seen it argued earlier this year that adding even one women’s weight class between the 75s and 75+ wouldn’t make sense because there isn’t a sufficient depth of competition. Of course, as drew alluded to, this is what they’re doing. Everything I’ve seen has indicated that they’re adding an 85kg weight class, which would change the supers from 75+ to 85+ and give the women the same number of weight classes as the men, and also allow countries to bring the same number of female lifters as male (maximum 6, up from 4). This is a direct result of the push for gender parity and I think it’s a good thing, the only argument being where should that extra weight class fall. Adding one inbetween the 75s and the supers allows them to achieve gender parity without redoing all the weight classes and rewriting the record books. In any case creating 5-6 weight classes where right now there is one would dilute the competition virtually to the point of absurdity, though not quite as bad as those powerlifting competitions where almost everybone gets a gold medal.

Pretty sure the heaviest I’ve ever seen Kashirina weigh in at was 108ish, and she won the world championships from '13 to '15 and holds all the junior and senior world records for the superheavyweight women, I think calling her “competitive” is to sell her a little short.

I was just speculating at kasihrinas weight. I could have looked it up, but didn’t.

And yes, calling her competitive is an understatement, but acknowledging that she is pretty likely to be on a number of anabolics should would also downgrade that label.

I haven’t looked at what Robles weighed in at… I know holly has had some comps in the 180s.

I would hazard a guess that speculating is what led killerdirk to think you have to be 300+ to be competitive as a women’s super, and the difference between the winner of the last three world championships being 108 versus 120 is not insignificant. Though to be fair I wouldn’t be surprised if she was over 110 the next time we see her in competition as her weight has trended upwards over the years.

Well I thought it generally accepted that it was pretty likely most international elite weightlifters used banned substances, and if you’re using her prior ban as an argument you would also have to thumb your nose at a number of medalists and champions from the Rio Olympics (including Robles).

Robles weighed in at 143.3 in Rio, compared to the 124.35 she weighed in at in London four years ago. I think Holly was in the upper 180s at the US trials earlier this year, and it doesn’t appear her foray into the 400 pound club has helped her lifting.