Women's BB Club in Afghanistan

[u]Womens Bodybuilding Club Opens in Afganistan[/u]

KABUL(RIA Novosti) – A bodybuilding club for women has been inaugurated in Afghanistan, news agency Bakhtar said on Saturday.

The Afghan agency said at least 20 women in Ngar in the Parwan province will be able to exercise from now on at the club built by the Women’s Association of Ngar.

The inaugural ceremony was attended by some provincial authorities, representatives of human rights organizations and local people.

Women in the Asian country have been denied most legal rights. Under the Taliban rule they were even barred from going to school. Domestic violence and forced marriages remain common throughout the country.

Niiiiiiiiice.

But oh for fucks sake. Your revolutionary war against the crown?

Did you fight in this war? Did your Dad? It sounds pretty major. Should I have heard of this?

I have a feeling this won’t end well

[quote]Blacksnake wrote:
[i][u]Womens Bodybuilding Club Opens in Afganistan[/u]
MWA Sisters, Please take note!!!
KABUL(RIA Novosti) – A bodybuilding club for women has been inaugurated in Afghanistan, news agency Bakhtar said on Saturday.

The Afghan agency said at least 20 women in Ngar in the Parwan province will be able to exercise from now on at the club built by the Women’s Association of Ngar.

The inaugural ceremony was attended by some provincial authorities, representatives of human rights organizations and local people.

Women in the Asian country have been denied most legal rights. Under the Taliban rule they were even barred from going to school. Domestic violence and forced marriages remain common throughout the country.[/i]

Ladies…Re-Appreciate what you have, American Soldiers have been killed and maimed to create this small reality of Freedom in this country, those lives are not to be wasted! Guns and bullets were the basis of our Freedom in the USA in our Revolutionary War against the Crown…Others are not as fortunate…Power to the Afgan Power Chicks!!! Lift it Grrls’!…Nobody rides for Free!!

[/quote]

Lets not play the “look what the awesome American soldiers did for the poor Afghan women (or any other group)” game. These women were not given some sort of special privilege, rather, this is a freedom that never should have been taken from them in the first place.

Cool story, nonetheless.

[quote]buckeye girl wrote:
<<< Lets not play the “look what the awesome American soldiers did for the poor Afghan women (or any other group)” game. These women were not given some sort of special privilege, rather, this is a freedom that never should have been taken from them in the first place.

Cool story, nonetheless.[/quote]

Guess they would’ve been better off without us then huh? Why don’t you ask them instead of some ultra left wing America hating “news” outfit over here. Remind me next time somebody risks their life to pull a fellow human being from a burning building that it’s no big deal because a burning building is not someplace they deserved to be in in the first place. It’s no privilege to stay alive, everybody should have that right. Dizzying logic to say the least.

[quote]buckeye girl wrote:
Blacksnake wrote:
[i][u]Womens Bodybuilding Club Opens in Afganistan[/u]
MWA Sisters, Please take note!!!

Women in the Asian country have been denied most legal rights. Under the Taliban rule they were even barred from going to school. Domestic violence and forced marriages remain common throughout the country.[/i]

Ladies…Re-Appreciate what you have, American Soldiers have been killed and maimed to create this small reality of Freedom in this country, those lives are not to be wasted! Guns and bullets were the basis of our Freedom in the USA in our Revolutionary War against the Crown…Others are not as fortunate…Power to the Afgan Power Chicks!!! Lift it Grrls’!…Nobody rides for Free!!

Lets not play the “look what the awesome American soldiers did for the poor Afghan women (or any other group)” game. These women were not given some sort of special privilege, rather, this is a freedom that never should have been taken from them in the first place.

Cool story, nonetheless.[/quote]

but it’s such a fun game to play!

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
buckeye girl wrote:
<<< Lets not play the “look what the awesome American soldiers did for the poor Afghan women (or any other group)” game. These women were not given some sort of special privilege, rather, this is a freedom that never should have been taken from them in the first place.

Cool story, nonetheless.

Guess they would’ve been better off without us then huh? Why don’t you ask them instead of some ultra left wing America hating “news” outfit over here. Remind me next time somebody risks their life to pull a fellow human being from a burning building that it’s no big deal because a burning building is not someplace they deserved to be in in the first place. It’s no privilege to stay alive, everybody should have that right. Dizzying logic to say the least.[/quote]

Well said.

Bullshit.

1. There are a bunch of countries over in Afghanistan helping your idiotic government.

http://icasualties.org/oef/byNationality.aspx?hndQry=Australia

1. The USA is not there for any righteous or intelligent reason.

Soliders died so some women can use a gym?
THIS IS NOT A GREAT THING.
This is stupid.
It is also incorrect.

Soliders died so you can put petrol in your car.

I am amazed people think wars are fought for selfless reasons such as helping the natives.

The current war is to ensure that you have OIL.

The other countries are there because the USA is our ally and we have no choice but to back you up.

The USA seems to have a habit of this.

Vietnam
Korea
Iraq - 90’s.

First it was the Communists.
Now its the Muslims.

Same old shit.
War is SELFISH.
Not selfless.

[quote]Spry wrote:
Bullshit.

1. There are a bunch of countries over in Afghanistan helping your idiotic government.

http://icasualties.org/oef/byNationality.aspx?hndQry=Australia

1. The USA is not there for any righteous or intelligent reason.

Soliders died so some women can use a gym?
THIS IS NOT A GREAT THING.
This is stupid.
It is also incorrect.

Soliders died so you can put petrol in your car.

I am amazed people think wars are fought for selfless reasons such as helping the natives.

The current war is to ensure that you have OIL.

The other countries are there because the USA is our ally and we have no choice but to back you up.

The USA seems to have a habit of this.

Vietnam
Korea
Iraq - 90’s.

First it was the Communists.
Now its the Muslims.

Same old shit.
War is SELFISH.
Not selfless.
[/quote]

hmmm, what wars have the Aussies won? Better yet, would Australia, and all of Europe for that matter exist w/o U.S. involvment in the World Wars. Please, you can call our governments actions stupid, but don’t refer to the U.S. government as idiotic. As for oil, tell that to the soldier that is stationed at the checkpoints in Iraq fearing that each car may be planted w/ explosives. I’m afraid we’re fighting for more then Oil. We also liberated the South Koreans in the Korean war, and I will agree with you on the fact that Vietnam was very trivial, and can be viewed as an almost pointless war, but to the soldiers it’s not.

[quote]Spry wrote:
<<< >>>
Not selfless.
[/quote]

More reading comprehension issues.

All wars in all ages that have ever or will ever be fought are fought in the self interest of the warring parties. Nobody ever said otherwise. It is however not true that in the course of prosecuting a campaign no good can be accomplished to the benefit of the secondary participants. It just so happens that for all our faults we have been the leading practitioners of this very thing in as far as it’s been within our power. Like it or not pax americana is still with us for the time being and while it may be easy for me to say, I’ll say it anyway. TOUGH SHIT

Umm, mate, Aussies don’t start wars.

Yes, the World Wars were different. That was about survival - not about taking natural resources. And it was a World War. It wasn’t the USA against everyone. The word you are looking for is ALLIES. And the USA was the last to join in by the way.

Your idiotic government should not have sent your military to war. It did so for OIL. That is not a good enough reason to send soliders to their deaths.

North Korea? They set of a nuke. They talk tough to the USA about war.

What do you do? Hmmm. No natural resources. Fuck it. Just give them some aid. That’ll shut 'em up.

The middle east is about oil.

The other reason is to flex you military muscle and explode some of your ordiance which is just sitting around.

The bomb maker need to sell some new shit this year.

I have a great respect for soliders. And this is why we should NOT send them to wars which serve no purpose other than greed and profit.

You know what the Aussie army has done lately?

Helped A LOT of people after the boxing day tsumami a while back in foreign countries.

We also helped the people in East Timor keep their indepence from Indonesia. Didn’t have to invade Indonesia to do so either.

[quote]Spry wrote:
.[/quote]

This was good post for you. You should’ve stopped right There.

Shit dude I wanna know where all the oil is going, the gas price is raising 10 cents every other day. BTW Alaska has plenty of natural resources think before you speak.

As an ex-GI, I merely attempted to stand up for and praise the military, particularly the Airborne Infantry. I did not mean to offend or start a controversy and am disappointed it was taken by some the wrong way…

[quote]austin_bicep wrote:
hmmm, what wars have the Aussies won? Better yet, would Australia, and all of Europe for that matter exist w/o U.S. involvment in the World Wars. Please, you can call our governments actions stupid, but don’t refer to the U.S. government as idiotic. As for oil, tell that to the soldier that is stationed at the checkpoints in Iraq fearing that each car may be planted w/ explosives. I’m afraid we’re fighting for more then Oil. We also liberated the South Koreans in the Korean war, and I will agree with you on the fact that Vietnam was very trivial, and can be viewed as an almost pointless war, but to the soldiers it’s not.
[/quote]

C’mon dude. Were you even alive in WW2?

And the bad news for you is, that’s the last war America won and you sure as hell did not do it by yourselves. It was a group effort.

Like my fellow aussie said, we generally don’t start wars.

That seems to be your country’s job. But we still go into it with you. Because at heart, we still believe that you guys are on the right side. Even if most other countries don’t.

That should count for something.

And are you saying that your current government is not stupid? Seriously?

Wow.

[quote]Blacksnake wrote:
As an ex-GI, I merely attempted to stand up for and praise the military, particularly the Airborne Infantry. I did not mean to offend or start a controversy and am disappointed it was taken by some the wrong way…[/quote]

Blacksnake, is there any more information about the gym?

I’m wondering if the women involved are facing the same obstacles other women interested in physical fitness face. As you mentioned, Afghanistan is a patriarchal society where women don’t typically have as many rights. I would think that women becoming physically stronger could be a bit controversial.

With regards to your original post, what bothered me was that you were trying to praise the military rather than tell us about a cool little news story. It seemed to me that the story was meant to prove how awesome our military is. The soldiers deserve to be respected and acknowledged but we can’t forget the Women’s Association and others involved too. That’s just my 2 cents

Pax Americana? I think this may be a matter of perspective. Of course in the ‘western world’ where we are safe we can pass wars off as minor and trivial, but when war is on your doorstep holocaust is an everyday reality.

To reiterate soldiers don’t fight for freedom. I’m sure there are some really noble soldiers out there; but at the end of the day they follow orders.

Generally I’d have to say that their orders function for the gain or preservation of their nation. Be it economic or religious. Acts of charity are usually an appeal to the public, or a mask for what is really going on. If a country stands to gain from sending it’s citizens to their deaths, it can be easily masked as some sort of heroic struggle between good and evil.

I’m glad these women have the freedom they have been denied. On the other hand I don’t think women from 1st world countries are capable of identifying with their plight from the position of ‘womanhood’ more than a dishcloth is able to understand algebra.

[quote]Spry wrote:

Yes, the World Wars were different. That was about survival - not about taking natural resources. And it was a World War. It wasn’t the USA against everyone. The word you are looking for is ALLIES. And the USA was the last to join in by the way.

Your idiotic government should not have sent your military to war. It did so for OIL. That is not a good enough reason to send soliders to their deaths.

…[/quote]

No oil in Afghanistan. You need to learn more about the situation before you start posting such tripe.

[quote]Blacksnake wrote:
As an ex-GI, I merely attempted to stand up for and praise the military, particularly the Airborne Infantry. I did not mean to offend or start a controversy and am disappointed it was taken by some the wrong way…[/quote]

Don’t apologize. All these dreamy eyed deluded pacifistic utopians will continue to live under the umbrella of whatever freedoms are left and are being defended as we speak by the evil military. We have not only the most powerful, but as whole the most humane and socially aware military in the history of this sorry planet. If anything, our preoccupation with international opinion and indigenous civilian well being has been our undoing in the conflicts that have not ended the way we’d hoped.

Somebody should write an “It’s a Wonderful Life” piece about what the 20th century would’ve been like without the sinister, power hungry United States. While were at it, history will vindicate our actions in the middle east whether the myopic limp wrists alive today ever do or not.

[quote]Spry wrote:

[/quote]

That’s only because we lack military power. I suppose all we can be proud of is performing genocide as late as during the 1960s, or being the only first-world country to ever violate the CERD human rights treaty.

But other than that we are perfect purely by virtue of being Australian… Right?