T Nation

Women's Arm Flab

I’ve been hearing this alot lately, preety much all of it coming from woemn over the age of 50. They basically make a 90 degree angle with there arm like if they were going to do a front bicep pose and theres alot of flab hanging down from the bottom of the arm where the tricep is.

Now It cant be because they are fat because this was said by preety skinny women. WHat is this and how do you fix it? I thought it was just because they were old and stored more fat there because of insulin sensitivity.

It’s because they LOST muscle tissue as they aged and didn’t notice it.

Rachel McLish (former Ms. Olympia) has none of that and is in her middle 50’s, I believe.

I think a lot of it is loose skin. They may have actually lost mass on their arm, but their skin has not retracted.

Interestingly, fat on the triceps have been shown to be influenced by high estrogen levels. That is why you will never see a natural women with triceps as lean as it’s possible to get with a man. But estrogen levels decrease with age, so I am not sure why older women tend to sag there.

Most of the time it is because they are fat in general though.

It because they drive a Suburban, take their kids out to McD’s after soccer games, and they have those stick figure “family” stickers on the back of said wagon.

[quote]mazevedo wrote:
It because they drive a Suburban, take their kids out to McD’s after soccer games, and they have those stick figure “family” stickers on the back of said wagon.[/quote]

lol but how would you fix such a thing, im not sure you can haha

The tricep is a natural fat deposit site for women. Lack of lifting also results in lean muscle mass loss. Add the two together and you have a hanging basket of human flesh.

Rapid weight loss leaves loose skin. Look at any woman who has dieted on and off for years, done hours of cardio, never lifted more than a 20lb DB, and she’ll have baggy arms. Only way to fix it, aside from surgery, is to build up the muscle, but if they are really wagging, forget it.

[quote]streamline wrote:
Add the two together and you have a hanging basket of human flesh.[/quote]

It’s almost like having ‘meat curtains’, but for the triceps. Now that can’t be good.