Women in Men's Sports

[quote]Brett620 wrote:
That’s possible… but in my experience in athletics, coaches will do anything it takes to win. Esp. in today’s PC climate, he would get extra kudos for putting in a girl if she was of similar ability. Either she is:

1. Worse
  2. Or a distraction
  3. or a combo of the two[/quote]

This.

I almost like the put her in and let her sink or swim idea, but even if she sinks it will still be someone else’s fault, at least according to her mom. And if she is not good enough, her teammates know it and will lose respect for their coach for caving in. This is a no win for the coach.

[quote]Aggv wrote:

i doubt the chick the op posted is an Olympic weight lifter, so put her in, let her get destroyed a few times and possibly knocked the fuck out so her parents will shut the fuck up.

There are plenty of young men who have worked just as hard as her who will never play because theyre just not good enough. It’s life, deal with it. [/quote]

x2

Yeah, don’t get how this is complex at all. If she’s the best person for a position, play her. If not, don’t. Even by the mom’s account, the coach repeatedly told her that her daughter wasn’t good enough…as long as she got a chance to try out like everyone else, and was fairly evaluated, there’s nothing more to it.

Can anyone give the name of the school? NE Ohio does love its high school football and i highly doubt a coach at a big school would risk losing a game for a feel good story.

I’m not American, and so I don’t really know American sports and their culture in general, but surely the logical thing to do would be to have an all-male team and an all-female team?

As far as I know that’s what they always do with rugby, football (soccer), field hockey and all other team sports. And of course all combat sports. Even tennis you don’t have male vs female except in mixed doubles haha.

As everyone else has said, this just seems like a lose-lose situation for everyone involved.

She could probably play for Jacksonville if she tried out. AHAHa. If she isn’t good enough to play that is her fault. Should not be an issue about her gender. I payed contact hockey and there was a coupe girls in the league who were very skilled and if you were respectable you wouldn’t try too hurt them.I actually played on a team with one on my line, two goofs pinned her in the corner and tried to fight her so I superstreet fighter combo’d them both. They were from a rich, self entitled part of town, probably weren’t beaten enough as children.

That was one of the only times someone deliberately tried to hurt them other times people would play the body cleanly and it was a non issue because they have to be tough enough to take a hit to play contact in the first place.

[quote]furo wrote:
I’m not American, and so I don’t really know American sports and their culture in general, but surely the logical thing to do would be to have an all-male team and an all-female team?

As far as I know that’s what they always do with rugby, football (soccer), field hockey and all other team sports. And of course all combat sports. Even tennis you don’t have male vs female except in mixed doubles haha.

As everyone else has said, this just seems like a lose-lose situation for everyone involved.
[/quote]

Women’s full-contact American football just isn’t a ‘thing’. It’s unlikely there is enough interest to put together even half a team at one school, let alone in a ‘district’ of schools.

Girls playing football in HS is less common then boys being cheerleaders, which is still not the ‘norm’ yet (Though I do know the number of males cheerleading in HS seems to be growing because of scholarship opportunities)

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:

[quote]furo wrote:

[/quote]

Women’s full-contact American football just isn’t a ‘thing’. It’s unlikely there is enough interest to put together even half a team at one school, let alone in a ‘district’ of schools.

Girls playing football in HS is less common then boys being cheerleaders, which is still not the ‘norm’ yet (Though I do know the number of males cheerleading in HS seems to be growing because of scholarship opportunities)[/quote]

Ah right, thanks for clearing that up Spidey.

It still seems to make more sense to me to try and make female football a thing and build it from the ground up, rather than have mixed sex teams.

Surely it would make sense, if the HS population isn’t big enough, to have county female football teams? Why does it have to be done through the school? Again - I don’t know the system so I’m probably just missing the point lol.

I get both sides to be honest, if the girl wants to play football why should anyone stop her, it just seems wrong to put her in with guys.

When I played community league ball in HS, we had a girl on our team one year. She played O line.

As I recall, the average weight of our linebackers was about 200lbs and most of our D line were all well over that. At least 2 of us went on to play college ball and I think one of us went pro. We would have torn her to pieces had we lined up against her in an actual game.

She was a tough girl, but we were highly competitive, aggressive, athletic and for all intents and purposes, grown ass men. Wouldn’t even have noticed her gender, just meat in the wrong coloured jersey standing between us and the ball.

However she came to practice, worked hard etc so she would occasionally get some playing time late in the game when we already had a solid lead. A BUNCH of other kids were in the same spot. What’s the big deal?

This girl should get the same chance as anybody else, based solely on MERIT. I get that parents want to see their kids live their dreams, I want that for my kid, but it doesn’t always go that way.

And I call Bullshit that this girl “played” football for several years…

She participated in the sport due to her FemiNazi mom threatening everyone with legal action if they don’t.

[quote]Aggv wrote:
Can anyone give the name of the school? NE Ohio does love its high school football and i highly doubt a coach at a big school would risk losing a game for a feel good story. [/quote]

Mineral Ridge High School, Its not a very big school but tight nit small community so people go crazy about our town’s football team.

they have womens football, but it’s a novelty sport for lesbians to play and i dont know who watches.

If i’m the coach, im putting her in there just to shut everyone up. First thing i do is cover my ass tho, go to the superintendent, principle, and city prosecutor and say “I have parents up my ass about playing their daughter. I’m going to play her like i would anyone else, and when she gets fucked up it’s not on me. Charge the parents with child endangerment when their daughter is a cripple, or brain dead from the hits”.

If this is a D1 school, she will get fucked up badly. I wouldnt even want to see it either.

[quote]T11 wrote:

[quote]Aggv wrote:
Can anyone give the name of the school? NE Ohio does love its high school football and i highly doubt a coach at a big school would risk losing a game for a feel good story. [/quote]

Mineral Ridge High School, Its not a very big school but tight nit small community so people go crazy about our town’s football team. [/quote]

I’d play her at the end of games. It’s not D1 so letting her get some garbage time shouldnt be an issue. THAT IS, assuming there isnt anyone else who’s done more to earn the pt.

[quote]batman730 wrote:
When I played community league ball in HS, we had a girl on our team one year. She played O line.

As I recall, the average weight of our linebackers was about 200lbs and most of our D line were all well over that. At least 2 of us went on to play college ball and I think one of us went pro. We would have torn her to pieces had we lined up against her in an actual game.

She was a tough girl, but we were highly competitive, aggressive, athletic and for all intents and purposes, grown ass men. Wouldn’t even have noticed her gender, just meat in the wrong coloured jersey standing between us and the ball.

However she came to practice, worked hard etc so she would occasionally get some playing time late in the game when we already had a solid lead. A BUNCH of other kids were in the same spot. What’s the big deal?

This girl should get the same chance as anybody else, based solely on MERIT. I get that parents want to see their kids live their dreams, I want that for my kid, but it doesn’t always go that way.[/quote]

The thing is the coach wasn’t my coach in high school but I know the guy from being a teacher in middle school. He was the coach before but some sexual scandals happened so he got fired. He eventually got rehired and he wants his team to win like anyone else.(Great Coach, I was pissed I didn’t have him) My senior year we had another senior who was LD(learning disabled) and our coach played him enough to have him letter(putting him on special teams and other bullshit). My old high school isn’t unreasonable and I really think he is afraid to put her in because she will get fucked up.

[quote]T11 wrote:

[quote]batman730 wrote:

This girl should get the same chance as anybody else, based solely on MERIT. I get that parents want to see their kids live their dreams, I want that for my kid, but it doesn’t always go that way.[/quote]

The thing is the coach wasn’t my coach in high school but I know the guy from being a teacher in middle school. He was the coach before but some sexual scandals happened so he got fired. He eventually got rehired and he wants his team to win like anyone else.(Great Coach, I was pissed I didn’t have him) My senior year we had another senior who was LD(learning disabled) and our coach played him enough to have him letter(putting him on special teams and other bullshit). My old high school isn’t unreasonable and I really think he is afraid to put her in because she will get fucked up. [/quote]

If that’s the only reason (and ability, or lack thereof, isn’t really an issue) I say let her play and run the risk of getting laid out. Injury is a risk that every player has to deal with in every sport. She looks like a pretty big girl, big enough that I doubt she is the smallest person on the team. If there are 140lb guys playing high school football and no one is refusing to put them in because “they might get hurt” there that’s not a good reason to not let a girl play.

When I was a senior in High School there was a girl-junior-that forced her way on to the team. (I can’t remember exactly how it went, but something along the lines that my headcoach didn’t want her on the team because it would take away from coaching guys who actually had a chance, or potential, her mother ended up complaining to the school board, and bam she’s on)

couldn’t catch
couldn’t run properly
ended up just trying to be a place kicker

I remember that we just treated her like she was one of the guys, no special treatment. We respected that she wanted to play, I mean how could you not. Football is a great game. But she just couldn’t play…period. I know a couple of guys laid her out a few times, after that she just stayed with the special teams and ONLY did place kicking.

But that being said, the girl that im speaking of is petite compared to the ogre in the story

[quote]furo wrote:

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:

[quote]furo wrote:

[/quote]

Girls playing football in HS is less common then boys being cheerleaders, which is still not the ‘norm’ yet (Though I do know the number of males cheerleading in HS seems to be growing because of scholarship opportunities)[/quote]

It still seems to make more sense to me to try and make female football a thing and build it from the ground up, rather than have mixed sex teams.

Surely it would make sense, if the HS population isn’t big enough, to have county female football teams? Why does it have to be done through the school? Again - I don’t know the system so I’m probably just missing the point lol.

I get both sides to be honest, if the girl wants to play football why should anyone stop her, it just seems wrong to put her in with guys.[/quote]

In addition to there not being enough participation by female students in football to warrant school districts creating a gender-specific division, there’s career and social factors to consider.

Opportunities to continue playing football beyond high-school aren’t present for women; no professional league, they aren’t being scouted for colleges, lack of scholarships, etc. Girls playing high-school football are pretty much doing it for love of the game, and should be commended for their dedication, but once graduation rolls around they’re done with that team activity. Time and money is also spent on the part of parents, and many place their kids in sports for further advancements.

The social factor is something I witnessed with a girls team while I was in high-school. I never payed any attention to girls lacrosse until the team was almost disbanded because the coaches made a simple suggestion. They were tired of losing and wanted to train more intensely, which meant hitting the weights and a few girls putting on muscle. Half the team quit or were pulled out by their parents. This was over a decade ago, and we all know intense training and weights won’t make a girl look ‘mannish’, but a lot of people were afraid of that.

American football is a sport that depends on mass, speed, power, and agility. The more each player has, the better the team performs, and the more the school wins. I can see a handful of girls willing to put on a fair amount of muscle over the course of four years (to perform better on the field year after year), but not two dozen in every school.

[quote]fncj wrote:

[quote]furo wrote:

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:

[quote]furo wrote:

[/quote]

I get both sides to be honest, if the girl wants to play football why should anyone stop her, it just seems wrong to put her in with guys.[/quote]

In addition to there not being enough participation by female students in football to warrant school districts creating a gender-specific division, there’s career and social factors to consider.

Opportunities to continue playing football beyond high-school aren’t present for women; no professional league, they aren’t being scouted for colleges, lack of scholarships, etc. Girls playing high-school football are pretty much doing it for love of the game, and should be commended for their dedication, but once graduation rolls around they’re done with that team activity. Time and money is also spent on the part of parents, and many place their kids in sports for further advancements.

The social factor is something I witnessed with a girls team while I was in high-school. I never payed any attention to girls lacrosse until the team was almost disbanded because the coaches made a simple suggestion. They were tired of losing and wanted to train more intensely, which meant hitting the weights and a few girls putting on muscle. Half the team quit or were pulled out by their parents. This was over a decade ago, and we all know intense training and weights won’t make a girl look ‘mannish’, but a lot of people were afraid of that.

American football is a sport that depends on mass, speed, power, and agility. The more each player has, the better the team performs, and the more the school wins. I can see a handful of girls willing to put on a fair amount of muscle over the course of four years (to perform better on the field year after year), but not two dozen in every school.[/quote]

I see, thank you. I was just thinking of it as a recreational type of thing but I get what you’re saying about it being taken seriously and career and scholarships etc making the whole picture much more complicated.

[quote]Aggv wrote:

they have womens football, but it’s a novelty sport for lesbians to play and i dont know who watches.

If i’m the coach, im putting her in there just to shut everyone up. First thing i do is cover my ass tho, go to the superintendent, principle, and city prosecutor and say “I have parents up my ass about playing their daughter. I’m going to play her like i would anyone else, and when she gets fucked up it’s not on me. Charge the parents with child endangerment when their daughter is a cripple, or brain dead from the hits”.

If this is a D1 school, she will get fucked up badly. I wouldnt even want to see it either. [/quote]

I played HS and college ball. I’ve coached HS ball as defensive coordinator for 4 years. If we are talking about 1A-2A ball, let her play some. I coach in Mississippi, and anything 3A and above would be suicide for a young lady. Football is a way of life in the south, and my mop up guys would still do serious damage to her. Football should be played like gladiators, not flag football.

There is a reason men have testosterone. I have a special young man that played for me and he was a little slow. So I played him a few snaps at mop up. It brought great joy to him and his parents. So I’m not against it, but there is a time and place to do it. Her mom doing what she is doing, is not the way to handle it either. Parents like that are a cancer in small schools. That is one of the problems about coaching a small school.