T Nation

Woman Flips Off Grave of Unknown Soldier

Discuss.

Typical Western woman.

Overweight, shameless and unfunny.

Nothing new to see here.

Better get used to this. The point of course is not whether this is protected speech. But rather what has happened to our nation where we now have to discuss whether it is.

While the action is despicable, she has a right to free speech. I think she’s a scum-bag whore, but I don’t know that you can take people’s lively hood because they are assholes. The contrary side is that as long as you belong to organization, you have a representative quality about you. A company does have a right to protect it’s good name and if they feel that their good name is threatened by somebody’s public action, then they have a right to preserve it.
The problem is how far do we let an organization control us individuals.

She did something stupid, apologized, end of story.

This is neither news worthy, or worth her losing her job over. She made a mistake. We need to stop ruining people’s lives for stupid ass mistakes.

I agree, if she sincerely apologized, the Christian thing to do is forgive her.
So any more insults toward her from now on will expose themselves as Non-Christians,
or Hypocrites that say they are Christian, but can’t let that fuckin’ shit go.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

This is neither news worthy, or worth her losing her job over. She made a mistake. We need to stop ruining people’s lives for stupid ass mistakes. [/quote]

The fact that she did it while working doesn’t help her case.

[quote]zecarlo wrote:

This is neither news worthy, or worth her losing her job over. She made a mistake. We need to stop ruining people’s lives for stupid ass mistakes. [/quote]

The fact that she did it while working doesn’t help her case. [/quote]

No, not at all. I’m not saying there isn’t a case for firing her, there certainly is. I just don’t think she should be. But it isn’t like I would be upset or surprised if she was.

IDK, I saw the interview with her father and, you know, I just think at this point, she has been embarrassed enough.

If she was 18 and this stupid, would it be national news?

[quote]zecarlo wrote:

No, not at all. I’m not saying there isn’t a case for firing her, there certainly is. I just don’t think she should be. But it isn’t like I would be upset or surprised if she was.

IDK, I saw the interview with her father and, you know, I just think at this point, she has been embarrassed enough.

If she was 18 and this stupid, would it be national news?[/quote]
I can see that. Personally, I’m in the military. My father served. My grandfather was a WW2 combat vet. So it’s hard for me to see this is as someone just being stupid, it may very well be the case, and not as a sign of her true character. Obviously I’m biased but I don’t see it as being funny, or how anyone could find it funny, and instead find it sad.

[quote]zecarlo wrote:

I dunno. I kinda agree with you, but then again…well you’re expected to be a dumbass when you’re 17/18, so nobody gets AS upset. If you’re a grown woman or man well…you should have learned your lesson less painfully growing up. Or somehow have learned to act like something other than a Philistine. You know, someone who has a sense of civilization and good judgement, otherwise known as maturity.

I dunno. As usual you make a good point. As does pat…I mean if you show terrible class and judgement–and then intentionally broadcast it on the interwebz while you represent a company…I tend to think that the company is completely within its rights to terminate you because they become tied (unfairly or fairly) to your antics. You represent something other than yourself and as such when you make a shitbrained decision as a representative you can be terminated.

I see both sides here

[quote]zecarlo wrote:

[quote]zecarlo wrote:

I can see that. Personally, I’m in the military. My father served. My grandfather was a WW2 combat vet. So it’s hard for me to see this is as someone just being stupid, it may very well be the case, and not as a sign of her true character. Obviously I’m biased but I don’t see it as being funny, or how anyone could find it funny, and instead find it sad.
[/quote]

And see thats the thing. My dad served during 'nam. My best friend from 1st grade til high school did 2 tours in Iraq, my other high school best friend went Marines in afghanistan, about a dozen of the people I surround myself with daily are current military with at least one, up to 3 tours, or recently out of service ex-members. I have a really hard time having anything but disgust for a person like this.

I originally just posted it to get discussion goong on people’s thoughts. But the more I think about it the more closely to feeling disgusted I feel. Beans and pat both had good, great points.

I don’t which reflects more on her stupidity; doing it in the first place or posting a picture of herself doing it on the internet.

She was on a trip that was paid for by her employer and acted in a way that brought discredit to said employer. She was fired for this action so there’s nothing really to discuss.

jaems

[quote]zecarlo wrote:

[quote]zecarlo wrote:

[/quote]

In this instance for sure, your opinion on what she did supersedes mine. Shit I can’t even explain why I feel the way I do about it.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
You know, someone who has a sense of civilization and good judgement, otherwise known as maturity.

I mean if you show terrible class and judgement–and then intentionally broadcast it on the interwebz [/quote]

Good points… At her age she should have known better, particularly given where she was. She absolutely should have refrained from putting it on facebook.

I am so glad that parents raised me better than to do some stupid shit like this.

The part that makes me shake my head is, if a Conservative did this at an abortion clinic, the Libs would be raising hell.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Didnt read the article just saw the pic. I respect everyones right to free speech but i ask myself why? Why do this? I dont care what your opinions are but this kind of disrespect for the dead is a little more than just immature. I personally would never disrespect a grave or burial no matter the person or my opinion of them. Doing it while on the employers dime too? smh

People are talking about “Free Speech” - she wasn’t arrested, charged or encumbered by the government in any way, so her right of “free speech” is intact. However the Constitution does not have “guaranteed employment” in the Bill of Rights. Particularly when someone acts foolishly and disrespects veterans.

Was it funny? Perhaps in a juvenile “jack-assesque” way one might find humor there. I personally don’t. But in today’s intolerant, PC world, she should have known better.