T Nation

Woke Up in Agony

I woke up at 10am this morning and I was in perfect health, brushed my teeth etc.

I went back to sleep and woke up in 2 hours later in excruciating pain.

The pain is under my right pectoral muscle (under the nipple), it feels like there is a knife inside me. I have a high pain tolerance and this is unbearable.

if I stay hunched over, I’m ok. If I try to straighten up, sit back or take a breath in and expand my chest - I am on the floor in tears.

What the fuck could of happened!?

What do I do? Do I go to A&E? Do I see a physio?

My right pec just feels loose and flabby now, is it possible I tore it in my sleep?

This is not good, if I tore my pec I’m fucked. There is no way I can find a top quality surgeon in the UK, it’ll be 6 months before I find out the result on MRI anyway.

Don’t stress yourself out too much. It could be a strain. I remember hurting my rotator cuff in Dec. 07 and I wasn’t able to stand up straight without being in a great deal of pain for about a week and I was in a sling for another two weeks.

But it is very difficult for someone to diagnose over the internet. If it’s that painful, go to a local clinic or hospital.

Sounds like a twisted rib. Not sure how you can tear a pec in your sleep?

See a chiropractor.

A couple of my most painful “injuries” have occurred during my sleep - best go to A&E really, as they’ll give you a relatively swift diagnosis.

That said, my experience with the NHS hasn’t been the greatest; took 8 months to have knee surgery (yeah, they also told me 6 months for a scan)! I hope you have better luck.

Do a barrel roll.

Maybe you should see a Doctor instead of soliciting advice on the Forums.

[quote]mr popular wrote:
Do a barrel roll.[/quote]

Shit man, I tried this to try and loosen up my ribs a bit, fuck.

I was on the floor for about 5 minutes in pain until my gf got home and helped me up.

I can sit straight now though.

Doctors appointment in an hour.

[quote]Dan7 wrote:
The pain is under my right pectoral muscle (under the nipple).[/quote]

Sounds like someone gave you the Purple Nurple from Hell…Make sure they don’t come back with and Indian Sunburn those are the worst.

keep us informed

It sounds like a muscle contracture.

Similar sounding pain happened to my ribs but more around toward my back. It was spasming and so intensely locked up, that anytime I had to get up to take a piss, I had to let out a yell and my fiance had to help me up and I’m no pussy. It hurt like hell so I feel your pain, it really did feel like someone put a knife between my ribs. It went away though by itself for me after a few days. Hope it does for you as well.

Good news, in my determination in wanting to do legs yesterday, I spent pretty much all day brutally ‘massaging’ my ribs with a metal dumbbell handle (no weights on it ofc).

After a few hours of tears/grunting & grimacing, it gradually eased up. I kept at it, progressed to stretching out & sitting up straight and it finally went away.

Giving me an hour left to do legs before the gym shut!

Today though my ribs on the right side of my body are bruised with lots of broken skin from all the massaging. Worked though, and I trashed my legs.

Sounds like you sleep too much.

You are hardcore. I thought I was hardcore. But when I am hurt, I rest. I do not trash my legs when I am in excruciating pain.
I feel like such a fucking puss.

[quote]saroachman wrote:
Sounds like you sleep too much.[/quote]

I do love my sleep! lol

[quote]40&Big wrote:
You are hardcore. I thought I was hardcore. But when I am hurt, I rest. I do not trash my legs when I am in excruciating pain.
I feel like such a fucking puss.[/quote]

That or I’m just dumb. I loosened up my ribs pretty well so it didn’t hurt ‘that much’.