T Nation

Wk 3 of 6 Wk Routine, Change Frequency?

Hey guys,

First post. Good to be among such an abundance of knowledge.

I just read through some of the newb advice posts and a few other articles and it has me thinking about 2 things:

First, very quickly. I went to my first session with a trainer a few weeks ago.

He took my weight, height, body fat, and measurements, asked me how many days a week I want to train (I said 5), then gave me a 5 week program, and that was it. It includes 6 different upperbody exercises including bench, shrugs, lat pulldown, curls, and 2 others I don't know what to call, and 2 lower body.

I have been plugging away for 4 weeks. After the first week I started increasing weight to each exercise, each week, or more if it started feeling too easy.

My questions:

1) Is just increasing weight each week enough if I want fairly fast progress. I am doing 3 sets of 12 reps for all.
2) Is 4 x week too much? I have read that you build more muscle when your NOT at the gym. I am thinking of switching to 4 sets of 10-12, 3 x week (instead of 3 sets of 12, 4 x week, which I'm doing now)

I would just ask the trainer, but his English is not very good. (I am currently living abroad in Costa Rica and my Spanish is sheeet)

Can you write the whole program? I didn't get the picture...

I'm using descriptions where I don't know the names...

-Bench
-Lat pulldown

-leg press
-leg machine for calves (lying flat on stomach)

-Sitting overhead press with barbells
-Shrugs
-Sitting tri thing (use both hands on 1 barball and raise and lower behind my head)
-Standing curls with bar

And you do that every day five days a week for 3x12?

My bad. I do that 4 x week (1 day is cardio)

I'm sorry to be the one who tells you, that your program sucks.

Increasing the weights when you can lift the previous weight is a good idea.. I'm not sure if that is what you are asking. It's obviously impossible to increase weights any faster than that?

4x a week, I dunno, I'm not a huge fan. Especially if it's a "full body" program.
But then, I'm not a fan of 3x10-12 for beginners either.

Oh and it just hit me, you're the abs of glory guy, right? http://tnation.tmuscle.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_beginner/abs_of_glory_3_months_of_consistency_still_looking_so_far_away?pageNo=0#3270808

This makes me want to help you less.
But I will give you some hard-love advice.

1. Learn to say "fucktard" in spanish. Call your trainer one.
  2. Get a real program, that is geared towards strength gains. This program MUST include- squats, deadlifts.
  3. Milk. Drink a gallon a day. Gain a pound of BW a week.
  4. Forget about having abs of glory.

5 lbs a week is 260 lbs in a year! I think that qualifies as "fairly fast progress."