Witty Title No.69

About time I started a log on here for three reasons:

1. Accountability. While I have no issues with missing workouts, what I do have an issue with is making sure that the goals I have and the workouts I do match up and that I don’t allow myself to get distracted. Hopefully at least someone will read this and be able to call me on this.

2. Advice. There are a lot of people on here who are much smarter, stronger and bigger than me. It can do me absolutely no harm at all to open myself up to their advice

3. Integrity. I often give advice on these forums, I think it would useful for everyone to see where this advice is coming from. I feel perfectly comfortable that I’m “qualified” to give people advice on increasing their max pull-ups, for example. Not so much for getting a massive squat. With this log, people will be able to see whether my advice carries any weight.

1 Like

So a quick summary of my current training and goals:

Goals:
Lifts:
500/400/300 powerlifts by 30
1000lbs total by 29 (early September)

Physique:
200lbs by 30
15% bodyfat by 30 (by my, extremely, inaccurate bodyfat scales)

Training:
5/3/1 template:
Squat day:
Squats 5/3/1
Anderson Squats (kinda), ~25 reps at ~100lbs more than my TM, split into 2/3 sets
Other stuff, usually ~2 of the following:
Barbell hip thrusts
Heavy farmers walks
Walking lunges
Ab wheel

Deadlifts:
Powercleans
Deadlift 5/3/1
Other stuff, usually ~2 of the following:
Barbell hip thrusts
Heavy farmers walks
Paused squats
Ab wheel

Bench:
Bench Press 5/3/1 + FSL
Other stuff, ~4 of the following:
BTN press
db pressing (1 or 2 db’s)
volume paused bench work
shoulder bodybuilding work (triset, JM’s 6 ways, hang and swing sets etc.)
pull ups (weighted, archer, 1 minute pull ups)
rows (db, barbell, meadows)
curls

OHP:
5/3/1 OHP + FSL
Bench: Juggernaught method 2.0 progression
Other stuff, ~4 of the following:
OHP, as on bench day
shoulder bodyweight work, as on bench day
back and bicep works, as on bench day.

So took a day off yesterday as felt like shit, so since the sun was out and my evening plans fell through, thought I’d make up for it today.

Powercleans: Worked up to an easy 70kgx5
Deadlifts: 5’s week, worked up to 132.5kg x 12. Normally stop at 10 on my + sets but figured I’d keep going for a change of pace
Bench: 5’s week, worked up to 75kg x 10.
Archer pull-ups on rings: 4 x 6
Anderson Squats: from the same height as I did as an accessory tuesday: 130kg x 15 x 3
Bench: clusters: 5-3-2 x 3 with 10secs rest, 70kg
dB rows: 12 x 3 @ 25kg
Farmers Walk: ~20m x 5 @ 135kg
Standing hang and swing with 9kg kB’s, 25 x 3
1 minute pull-ups: 5
Shoulder 6-ways: 12 x 3 @ 2.5kg
E-Z bar curls: 12 x 3 @25kg

This was a bit of a “do everything wrong” workout, I’m expecting Rippetoe to knock on my door any minute to let me know I should have just done 5 x 5.

Are the farmers per hand or total?

Good to see you make a log here man.

That’s total, on a trap bar. The plan was to go up to about 160kg but after the deads and squats it wasn’t happening. The distance is limited by the length of my back yard, I haven’t found anywhere with easy parking nearby to go do these yet, although there’s a shallow hill nearby where I sometimes do sprints I’m going to look into.

And yeah, I spend enough time lurking on other peoples logs, I figured I should probably do my own. More for feedback than because I’m expecting anyone to take any inspiration from my training.

[quote]dagill2 wrote:
That’s total, on a trap bar. The plan was to go up to about 160kg but after the deads and squats it wasn’t happening. The distance is limited by the length of my back yard, I haven’t found anywhere with easy parking nearby to go do these yet, although there’s a shallow hill nearby where I sometimes do sprints I’m going to look into.

And yeah, I spend enough time lurking on other peoples logs, I figured I should probably do my own. More for feedback than because I’m expecting anyone to take any inspiration from my training.[/quote]

20m is actually a pretty good distance. A lot of contest run about that length, or maybe 20m down and 20m back. Just load it heavy and you’ll be fine, haha.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

And yeah, I spend enough time lurking on other peoples logs, I figured I should probably do my own. More for feedback than because I’m expecting anyone to take any inspiration from my training.[/quote]

20m is actually a pretty good distance. A lot of contest run about that length, or maybe 20m down and 20m back. Just load it heavy and you’ll be fine, haha.
[/quote]
I should be back up to 165 once I return to regularly scheduled programming, squat day will probably be Tuesday. Far more fun than any bodybuilding drop set or cardio circuit

Everything is still sore from Saturdays session so todays goal was just do what needs to be done and recover for squat day tomorrow.

OHP:
30kg x 5
35kg x 5
40kg x 3
45kg x 3
50kg x 8
40kg x 10

Back squats for sets of 5-10 using whatever weight was on the bar as a ‘tonic’ workout, a la Dan John. Also threw in a few sets of light band pull aparts.

Bench:

50kg x 3
57.5kg x 3
60kg x 8 x 3

Not convinced by the Juggernaught Method as an assistance to 5/3/1, I think I’ll go back to my tried and tested 3 x 8 working up to a 3RM at the end of this cycle.

Short squat day, got called into work.

Squats (3’s week):
60kg x 5
70kg x 5
80kg x 5
85kg x 3
90kg x 3
95kg x 8
85kg x 10

Anderson squats:
130kg x 5
130kg x 10
130kg x 15

Hip Thrusts:
90kg x 12 x 3
My ROM on these is really, really short. I think I should consider elevating my feet to make it more of a movement than an isometric contraction.

Was planning a Farmers walk/ab wheel superset but got called into work at this point.

Missed the end of yesterdays workout so thought I’d make up for it today. Took advantage of the sun and spent about 4 hours bbq-ing, eating and lifting.

Farmers walks - 1km total, weights varying between 85kg and 160kg
Kb swings - 1,000 total, sets between 10 and 50. 24kg kB.

Seems to be something about the sun that makes me want to do these stupid workouts.

Bench Day, 3’s week:

40kg x 5
50kg x 5
60kg x 3
70kg x 3
80kg x 8
8 x 3 @ 80kg

Pushes my estimated max back up over 100kg for the first time since my injury last year, which I’m well happy with.

One armed dB press:
8 x 3 @ 25kg

Pull-ups:
10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 in between sets.

Shoulder 6-ways from this article:

3 x 12

Using these instead of the old favourite shoulder tri-set that I invented, purely for variety.

looks great to me man, count me in.
love the chin up volume

Bad session today, a 17 hour shift yesterday is the most likely reason but whatever. A bad session is a bad session.

Powercleans: working up to an easy 5 x 70kg

Deadlifts, 3’s week: worked up to 140kg x 7, then 140 x 5. Was aiming for a minimum of 12 but was feeling really weak. Next time I guess.

Ran out of time before work again so did a few sets of bacon sarnie curls and called it a day.

OHP day, 5/3/1 week:

OHP:
30kg x 5
40kg x 5
42.5kg x 5
47.5kg x 3
52.5kg x 6 Had to take a breath on rep 6 and lost all tightness
42.5kg x 10

Bench:
warmups
6 x 3 @ 80kg
2 x 3 @ 82.5kg

dB shoulder press:
5 x 5 @ 20kg

hang and swing destroyer sets:
3 x 25 @ 9kg

Shoulder triset:
3 x 10 @ 7.5kg

I totally invented these. Unfortunately so did everyone else.

Squat day, 5/3/1 week:

Squat:
60kg x 5
70kg x 5
80kg x 5
90kg x 3
100kg x 5, fairly easy set

Anderson squat: about 3" above parallel at this point
130kg x 5, then 2 x 10.

Farmers walks:
160kg x 6, ~20m distance.

May do a “pull” workout later, if I have time.

EDIT:

Found time to do a quick bit of “pulling” work that soon turned into a bicep workout because I haven’t done any in a while.

Weighted wide(ish) grip pull ups: 5 x 5 with 5kg
E-Z curls: 8 x 3 @30kg (I lost track of sets which is unusual for me so this was probably more like 10 x 3)
Towel curls with 10kg plate: 3 x 20. Found a longer towel for these that leaves the weight plate hanging around ball level. Really makes you focus on keeping reps smooth and controlled if the crown jewels are on the line.

Ah, nice to see that you’ve made a log. I’ll have to make a point to check the forums more often now.

I have to admit that I expected you to be older, lol. Not sure why.

I’ll be following your log. And others. At least sometimes.

[quote]ActivitiesGuy wrote:
Ah, nice to see that you’ve made a log. I’ll have to make a point to check the forums more often now.

I have to admit that I expected you to be older, lol. Not sure why.

I’ll be following your log. And others. At least sometimes.[/quote]

It’s because I’m so wisdom-ous.

You lose 1,000 internet points if you get that reference.

Nice to have you checking in man. I will try out those overhead carries at some point and get back to you on how weak I am.

Bench day, 5/3/1 week:

60kg x 5
60kg x 5
65kg x 5
75kg x 3
80kg x 3
85kg x 8, fairly easy set. Was pissed with myself as soon as I reracked it.
4 x 3 x 80kg
4 x 3 x 82.5kg

band pull-aparts throughout.

2 weeks into my 8 x 3 variation and so far it seems to be working just like it always has for me before. No idea why I didn’t do it earlier.

Pull-ups:
1-2-3-4-5 ladders, 5 ladders total.

Is the 8x3 for assistance in the Wendler books or is it something that you’ve come up with yourself as I don’t remember reading that in the books ?

[quote]dagill2 wrote:
So a quick summary of my current training and goals:

Goals:
Lifts:
500/400/300 powerlifts by 30
1000lbs total by 29 (early September)

Physique:
200lbs by 30
15% bodyfat by 30 (by my, extremely, inaccurate bodyfat scales)
[/quote]

Might I venture to ask:

1. Where you stand now relative to these goals? I can infer that with your powerlifts, I suppose, but the BW/BF…are you:

a) heavier and fatter
b) lighter and fatter
c) heavier and…wait, never mind, I assume it’s A or B

1. A brief training history. Just curious. I am a believer in some degree of muscle memory with the big lifts, and expect that someone like me (an ex-FB player with a bit of PL history) getting back into lifting would have an easier time pushing towards the round numbers you’ve outlined than someone who has less of that history.