T Nation

Wise11, Comment & Diet Question

Just a note of support and a question.

PLEASE keep up the extremely knowledgeable and helpful posts, across the board. I know it’s hard at times, but try to ignore the A-holes that are close-minded and seem to get off by being smart-assed cynics. They rarely present anything helpful nor intelligent - only jerking your chain for a reaction.

Specifically, you posted a sample “day in the life diet” of yourself. I was wondering why you feel it’s necessary to cook your egg whites but consume the yolks raw? [The shakes with the raw egg yolks and cod liver oil have got to be yummy, huh…] Also, are you consuming the coconut oil just for the fat content, or because of the taste, or all the above?

Thanks bro,

TopSirloin

I’ll no doubt continue to post what I feel is important and I’m glad that you and others find it helpful. I cook the egg whites, because the protein in raw egg whites, from what I’ve read is extremely difficult to digest and therefore benefits from cooking. The yolk on the other hand, I’ve read suffers from any sort of heating, especially scrambling, as the cholesterol is oxidized. Soft boiling though, I understand is less harmful than scrambling. Keep in mind I only consume organic cage free eggs. I would never eat raw egg yolks from commercial eggs. I think I posted a link pertaining to raw egg yolk consumption on a post back in January (“the forgotten bodybuilding nutrient” post I think). If not I’ll see if I can find it and post it if I’m on later today.

The cod liver oil I consume, by the way is not mixed with the protein shakes, I take it separately. That would probably taste terrible if I did.

The coconut milk and oil I consume for the taste and fat content and a number of other health benefits: check out

http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org/

Hey wise11, I noticed in your diet that you use brown rice as a carb source.

I have read weston price, mercola, etc and follow some of what they teach but I have never seen them mention preferred carbs if you must have them (other than to soak/sprout them and to eat whole grains).

With that said is their any particular reason you choose brown rice other then personal preference?

I generally use yams/groats for almost all my carbs w/ a little bit of ezekial sprouted bread in for good measure.

[quote]blam wrote:
Hey wise11, I noticed in your diet that you use brown rice as a carb source.

I have read weston price, mercola, etc and follow some of what they teach but I have never seen them mention preferred carbs if you must have them (other than to soak/sprout them and to eat whole grains).

With that said is their any particular reason you choose brown rice other then personal preference?

I generally use yams/groats for almost all my carbs w/ a little bit of ezekial sprouted bread in for good measure. [/quote]

I prefer brown rice and oat groats as starchy carbs–I like the taste and they simply agree with me. Even though I’m not a huge grain eater, these are my mainstays. The other sources in my diet are sprouted wheat/rye toast and cream of rye which I consume less frequently.
Potatoes (sweet and regular) I most often use as my prefered post workout carbs along with carrots pureed in the blender/food processor. This I find to be superior to stuff like commercial fruit juice and maltodextrin which others use because they’re nutrient dense carbs. Simple processed sugar on the other hand do achieve the desired post workout insulin response but are often nutritionally void and end up robbing your body of nutrients rather than providing them at this critical time.

Some Weston Price purists drub the Ezekial bread bread because it contains soybeans, but at least they are sprouted to help neutralize the enzyme inhibitors and I doubt that they’re contributing so much to the overall protein content of that bread. Still, I personally prefer the Alvarado st. Bakery sprouted sourdough wheat or rye toast when I eat bread.