Wireless 802.11N

I’m finaly going to make the switch to broadband at my house and i’m planning on going ahead and installing a wireless network. now that the 802.11N pre-release routers are out i’m considering one. Does anyone have experience with the new Linksys/Buffalo Tech/Netgear ect. 11N hardwear??

La’
Redsol1

I have tried using Belkin & Linksys adn I have not really noticed any significant gains on my network. Until they raturfiy the 802.11N standard, I would hold off on getting a Pre-N router. Just get yourself a linksys wireless G router that you can upgrade the firmware on. I recommend the WRT54GS

info

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/

[quote]redsol1 wrote:
I’m finaly going to make the switch to broadband at my house and i’m planning on going ahead and installing a wireless network. now that the 802.11N pre-release routers are out i’m considering one. Does anyone have experience with the new Linksys/Buffalo Tech/Netgear ect. 11N hardwear??

La’
Redsol1[/quote]

i use LynkSys but wait until ratification of the standard to get a “N” router. Or be sure to but an upgradable (firmware) one

[quote]crazy88s wrote:
I have tried using Belkin & Linksys adn I have not really noticed any significant gains on my network. Until they raturfiy the 802.11N standard, I would hold off on getting a Pre-N router. Just get yourself a linksys wireless G router that you can upgrade the firmware on. I recommend the WRT54GS[/quote]

You’re talking about using the OpenWRT project or something to upgrade the firmware right? Will the RF card in the WRT54GS be able to modulate the correct signals for 802.11N? That’s pretty neat if so :slight_smile:

[quote]crazy88s wrote:
Just get yourself a linksys wireless G router that you can upgrade the firmware on. I recommend the WRT54GS[/quote]

x2! Good stuff, that WRT54GS.

The reviews on the Pre-N’s have been pretty poor from what I’ve seen, as in, worse than the best Rangemax stuff.

I have a a Netgear wireless G, but stick a cable in it for speed.

[quote]redsol1 wrote:

La’
Redsol1[/quote]

Wait till the N actually becomes worthwhile, cos unless you are getting a T3 line connected to your house, your internet is gonna be the chokepoint, not the wireless network. If you are worried about signal strength just get a better antennae.

Some friends of mine did extensive testing of wifi routers for a company a while ago. The buffalo pre-n routers has much better range if that is important to you. The transfer rate won’t increase much unless you buy a pre-n client wifi card too.

Allso, if you have problems with lots of neighbour interference, the pre-n routers tend to jam surrounding g routers, giving you all the air bandwidth you need ;).