Winter Olympics

Not sure how much interest this will get? I really don’t follow the winter olympics much and was just curious, what event showcases the best athletes in the winter olympics?
Bobsled?
Speed Skating?
Hockey?

Or is it that event where they race on skis and shoot rifles at targets?

Curling… hands down.

[quote]mbdix wrote:
Not sure how much interest this will get? I really don’t follow the winter olympics much and was just curious, what event showcases the best athletes in the winter olympics?
Bobsled?
Speed Skating?
Hockey?

Or is it that event where they race on skis and shoot rifles at targets?[/quote]

Speed skating is my personal favorite to watch. Snowboard half-pipe, and the Bobsled are close up there as well. Your best (if by best you mean most powerful) athletes are quite possibly the people who push the bobsleds off the line.

Can’t wait for hockey. Should be awesome. Canada has one of the best teams I have ever seen on paper.

[quote]GrizzlyBerg wrote:
Can’t wait for hockey. Should be awesome. Canada has one of the best teams I have ever seen on paper.[/quote]
Looking forward to it too!

I don’t really watch the Olympics, but I saw this:

Is it safe to say that this guy wins the Olympics?

[quote]Dr.Matt581 wrote:
I don’t really watch the Olympics, but I saw this:

Is it safe to say that this guy wins the Olympics?[/quote]

Damn! I heard something about that but never really looked into the story. I thought he did something with his phone like gopro’s? Now I know he is getting dirty(the good kind) Russian girls sending him pics and texts. Nice. Well done.

Watched a little speed skating. I can’t get into the winter games. We will see about hockey.

Long-track speedskating is awesome (talk about quad development!). Being Canadian, obviously I’m partial to hockey. Not having Stamkos there will hurt us but Marty St. Louis is more than good enough to step in for him. I’m hoping Canada can make it 3 for 5 in hockey gold since 1998. Biathlon is a great blend of endurance and technical skill. How those guys can bring their heart rate down from 200 bpm to 60 bpm in 3 seconds is unreal. Unlike others on here, I definitely prefer the Winter Olympics to the summer games. Most people up here in the frozen North would probably say the same.

[quote]CMdad wrote:
Long-track speedskating is awesome (talk about quad development!). Being Canadian, obviously I’m partial to hockey. Not having Stamkos there will hurt us but Marty St. Louis is more than good enough to step in for him. I’m hoping Canada can make it 3 for 5 in hockey gold since 1998. Biathlon is a great blend of endurance and technical skill. How those guys can bring their heart rate down from 200 bpm to 60 bpm in 3 seconds is unreal. Unlike others on here, I definitely prefer the Winter Olympics to the summer games. Most people up here in the frozen North would probably say the same.[/quote]

Biathlon! I like that one. Couldn’t remember the name

One of my patients has a daughter on the Canadian Olympic biathlon team, so I’ll definitely be pulling for her in Sochi. Biathlon also has a really interesting military history in its origins, too. It’s development in Finland and Russia and the role it played especially in the “Winter War” in WWII is fascinating.

[quote]CMdad wrote:
One of my patients has a daughter on the Canadian Olympic biathlon team, so I’ll definitely be pulling for her in Sochi. Biathlon also has a really interesting military history in its origins, too. It’s development in Finland and Russia and the role it played especially in the “Winter War” in WWII is fascinating.[/quote]

Cool man. I might have to look up the history behind it, will probably make me like it more. It is impressive, like you said, to be able to bring their heart rate down like that. Hope your patient’s daughter can pull off a Gold.

Olympics to me are one of those rare competitions, that just being there is a victory in itself.

The moggle skiing dudes for Canada were off the hook. I’ve met one of the bobsledders, he is a big dude who was a track star I believe. hoping they win. Our hockey team is redonculous this year, would have liked eric staal out there he is a big intense player. We should be allowed two teams we would have a chance at two medals then. I hear Kessels sister may fill in his spot on the dudes team because he has a mangina. JK there both cool. Definitely watching alot of it, I’d like to try speed skating looks like fun, I wish they had winter Olympic lifting where they would make the weights out of ice blocks!

I’ve met a couple of bobsledders and I went for a couple runs in a 2 man sled years ago (we crashed halfway down my first run). Those guys are freaks and that shit is nuts. They’ve got cool fundraising commercials too.

I prefer the short track speed skating over the long track, tends to be a little more exciting. Case in point:

I’m not a die hard hockey fan like most other folks north of the 49th, but I’ll probably be watching that anyways. Kinda hard not to.

who do i kill for a date with Anna Fenninger?

OP
what do ypou mean by best athletes? all the best athletes in their sports are at these games!!!

Can’t wait for hockey. Should be awesome. Canada has one of the best teams I have ever seen on paper.[/quote]

Unfortunately for them it will be played on ice. USA!

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

Unfortunately for them it will be played on ice. USA![/quote]

I think it will be an interesting year. Of course I am rooting for the USA. I think it will be a toss up between Canada, Sweden, and the US. Hopefully we can pay those Canadian bastards back for 2010. Fuck Crosby.

AHAHA, Crosby is adorned by females and children. He is similar to wimpy wayne with his crying to officials. Great all round player though. I used to love playing Mericans in hockey the only down side was I would be going full tilt and my team was not up for the occasion. Also their teams where put together like an all star team and our teams were put together from one end of a smaller town. I think patty kane is one of the best stick handlers of all time great to watch. Kessel although I bash him is a good player Jvr is cool 2. But yeah amped on the Canadian roster it’s really the best it’s ever been.

[quote]spk wrote:
OP
what do ypou mean by best athletes? all the best athletes in their sports are at these games!!!

[/quote]

Right. I see what you mean.

I was meaning the strongest, fastest, most powerfull? I don’t know really

But, really I wanted to get some ideas of events that I could try to follow during these games. I mean it’s the OLYMPICS. I just can’t get into any of the events really. But, the thread has delivered for me. I am going to try and watch hockey, biathlon, and bobsledding so far. I watched some of speed skating last night and meh, changed the channel

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

Unfortunately for them it will be played on ice. USA![/quote]

I think it will be an interesting year. Of course I am rooting for the USA. I think it will be a toss up between Canada, Sweden, and the US. Hopefully we can pay those Canadian bastards back for 2010. Fuck Crosby. [/quote]

I’m going for USA too of course. but, if they can’t win wouldn’t mind seeing canada win it. I just hope Russia doesn’t medal