Winter Conditioning

I started training at home about a year ago, this program has been great because I have a squat rack, bench, pullup bar and everything I need for the lifts. I have a hill close to my home that’s great for running hill sprints for conditioning. The thing is it’s been below zero what seems like every day for over a month and with the snow it’s not very appealing running outside.

I’ve been throwing in some kettlebell circuits in after leg days and also doing some more low level intensity cardio. I also play hoops once or twice a week. Do these seem like decent substitutions for the time being or does anyone have some suggestions?

Use this time to concentrate on pure strength and size. You don’t have to and shouldn’t include hill sprints all year long. Adjust your diet and volume for getting jacked while it’s below zero. Playing ball here and there should be enough to sustain cardiovascular health if you really feel like you need it.

Upper: heavy bag! A HEAVY quality one. Not an 80lb. Bag

Lower: box jumps

I wrote an article for Tnation called “Winter Conditioning”. It may give you some ideas.

Good read!

Rather than start a new thread, I’ll use this as a place to ask a minor detail question:

What type of shoe to use when skipping rope? Flat squat shoes? Running shoes? Barefoot?

[quote]Mattyb83 wrote:
Rather than start a new thread, I’ll use this as a place to ask a minor detail question:

What type of shoe to use when skipping rope? Flat squat shoes? Running shoes? Barefoot? [/quote]

A running shoe, or whatever is comfortable, I don’t think it really matters.