Winter Coats?

Pretty hard to beat a Carhart. Think about it for a minute, who knows better than construction workers, guys who work outside 8+ hours a day in the worst times of the year. You ever see a construction worker “rockin” the LL Bean, I’d image you’d get your ass kicked for something like that.

If they’re good enough for the guys who really need them they’re good enough for me.

all types and most brands. decent prices
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Home_

try century 21

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
try century 21[/quote]

I told my friend I needed a coat and she wanted to take me there. Then I said my range was $100-150 and she changed her mind.

I think she wants me to get a peacoat. We’ll see…

$54.99 for the whole shabang.

Coat question.

In places where it is really cold, do you drive with your jacket on, or do you take it off in the car when you drive? Like how you take a jacket off when you go in the house?

How do you drive with those big ole jackets on?

How about a nice fleece?
http://www.gap.com/browse/category.do?cid=8655

First rule: Don’t take advice from a a guy in Georgia!

The warmest component is air, so don’t go slim. Secondly, are you looking at dry cold or humid cold? Dry cold means a thin shell to deal with wind but otherwise use sweaters, (LL Bean has a great Norwegian style one;-) Humid cold: wind and waterproof, thick lining. Fleece is usually not enough.

Bo you have Burlington Coat Factory around? Great deals on last years designs if you want flashy. You can get a Gotti-style wool one for $100.

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:
Coat question.

In places where it is really cold, do you drive with your jacket on, or do you take it off in the car when you drive? Like how you take a jacket off when you go in the house?

How about a nice fleece?

[/quote]

I get claustrophobic driving with a coat or jacket on. I make sure I preheat the car enough that I can get in in just some gloves when I start from home. If I’m out somewhere or headed home from work I shimmy out of the coat as soon as the car warms just a little bit or at the last stoplight before the highway, whichever comes first.

Coat question.

How about a nice fleece?

[/quote]

usually it starts off with the jacket on and eventually it gets unzipped, maybe the whole thing comes off.

There’s a reason all those muthas I see climbing Everest on National Geographic and Discovery are always wearing North Face.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
Carhart makes great stuff. Extremely durable comfortable and warm. [/quote]

+1

I used to snowboard wearing a carhartt jacket.
here in VA, it’s actually more like “granular ice boarding” so I didn’t rip a nice jacket to shreds.

(disregard the knife)
I currently enjoy a USN foul weather jacket scored for $65 at a local military surplus store.
-note the carhartt skully though-
:slight_smile:

I’m just throwing this out there … hard not to picture you a deranged psychopath in that get up … especially with the knife … but hey, whatever works for you …

[quote]polo77j wrote:
I’m just throwing this out there … hard not to picture you a deranged psychopath in that get up … especially with the knife … but hey, whatever works for you …[/quote]

yeah, you got me… lol
my friends were/are always jokin me about what they like to call my “serial killer” jacket, so that was my halloween costume.
personally I think they’re just hatin’ cause I dress so fly.

++ on the Carhartt.

I have two Carhartt blanket-lined Detroit jackets, a good one for daily wear and my old one for when I don’t want to get my new one messed up. Short enough to be comfortable driving in but warm enough when it’s zipped up for all but extreme cold.

I also have a Carhartt artic lined traditional coat, one of the warmest coats I’ve ever owned. Been ice fishing at -20 with 20mph wind and still plenty warm in that thing. Wear it sledding and snowboarding too. It’s too long and bulky to drive much in though.

[quote]Neuromancer wrote:
There’s a reason all those muthas I see climbing Everest on National Geographic and Discovery are always wearing North Face.[/quote]

yea dude i checked out the Northface site, those badboys are running at like 600 bucks.

Coat question.

How about a nice fleece?

[/quote]

Garage to garage, thank god!

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:
Coat question.

How about a nice fleece?

I get claustrophobic driving with a coat or jacket on. I make sure I preheat the car enough that I can get in in just some gloves when I start from home. If I’m out somewhere or headed home from work I shimmy out of the coat as soon as the car warms just a little bit or at the last stoplight before the highway, whichever comes first.[/quote]

Thanks Emily!

I always wondered about that. Especially with being bound by a seatbelt.

How cold does it get where you live? I’m in Canada, and my leather jacket + long sleeved shirt/sweater is fine for most the winter. On the extreme cold days I wear a heavy hoodie with a wind proof jacket over top. I have a black cashmere scarf that helps too. There are winter jackets that can keep you warm without any other layering, but they are always ugly.

After reading this, I have come to the conclusion you can save money by living in a hot country.