T Nation

'Winning Formula' for newbies

I was looking over the J.B. ‘Winning Formula’ article, and I found myself wondering about the differences in volume for a newbie/someone that hasn’t been training in awhile versus a more experienced lifter. If a newbie is trying to lose fat, should he/she stick to the high weight, low number of reps scheme that J.B. advises, or should he amp things up a bit to take advantage of ‘newbie gains’? Any input here would be great.

This is my “winning Formula”

Monday, Thursday, And Saturday:

Anaerobic Training (running) (30 Min.) AM 30 Sec @ 7MPH @ 10% Grade 1:30 Sec @ 3.5 MPH @ 7% Grade

Tuesday And Friday:

Aerobic Training (BIKE) (30Min.) AM 30 Min @ 85% Max Heart Rate

Monday:

Horizontal / Vertical Pulling:

Bent Over Row (5x5) Dumb Bell Pull Over (5x5) Biceps Curl (5x5) Forearm Flexion (5x5) Pull Up (5x5)

Tuesday:

Quad Dominant:

Squat (5x5) Lunge (5x5) Ski Squat (5x5) Leg Extension (5x5) Hanging Leg Raises (5x5)

Wednesday - Off

Thursday:

Horizontal / Vertical Pushing:

Bench Press (5x5) Shoulder Press (5x5) Weighted Dips (5x5) Forearm Flexion (5x5) Lying Tri Ext. (5x5)

Friday:

Hip Dominant:

DeadLift (5x5) Cleans (5x5)

Shrugs (5x5)
Calf Press (5x5)

Hanging Twisting Leg Raises (5x5)

Monday, Thursday, And Saturday:

Anaerobic Training (30 Min.) AM
30 Sec @ 7MPH @ 10% Grade
1:30 Sec @ 3.5 MPH @ 7% Grade

Tuesday And Friday:

Aerobic Training (30Min.) AM
30 Min @ 85% Max Heart Rate

Monday:

Horizontal / Vertical Pulling: Bent Over Row (5x5)
Dumb Bell Pull Over (5x5)
Biceps Curl (5x5)
Forearm Flexion (5x5)
Pull Up (5x5)

Tuesday:

Quad Dominant: Squat (5x5)
Lunge (5x5)
Ski Squat (5x5)
Leg Extension (5x5)
Hanging Leg Raises (5x5)

Wednesday - Off

Thursday:

Horizontal / Vertical Pushing: Bench Press (5x5)
Shoulder Press (5x5)
Dips (5x5)
Forearm Flexion (5x5)
Lying Triceps Ext. (5x5)

Friday:

Hip Dominant: Dead lift (5x5)
Cleans (5x5)
Shrugs (5x5)
Calf Press (5x5)
Hanging Leg Raises (5x5)

Nephrom: A bodybuilding “truism”:

Use DIET, and perhaps cardio, to lose fat…

Use WEIGHTS to build muscle…

Don’t ever look at your weight training as a tool to at least DIRECTLY lose fat…keep the training heavy and intense…Now…we can certainly debate what intensity entails…but for the most part, don’t fall for the "light weights/high reps- to -get -“ripped” trap…even for the newbie…

The difference (in general) between the “newbie” and the more experienced lifter is training frequency and TOTAL workout volume…not the intensity of the individual workout…

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the input, guys. Mufasa, the reason I asked is that J.B. mentioned that the muscles shouldn’t be “overloaded” when on a cutting phase, and too much damage because of high volume and eccentric movements would not be repairable on a slightly hypocaloric diet. I was just wondering if this held true when someone was a newbie, and thus perhaps had a few extra resources that those with a greater training age would not have.