Winged Scapula

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
The relaxed pic only just showed up… looks good and symmetrical to me.

I can see that you have type I AC joints :wink:

BBB[/quote]

BBB - I don’t have any pain. Do you think I should do anything in specific to keep it that way?

For some background, I don’t do dips because I was told that they would encourage the internally rotated position I’m trying to overcome. I’ve been stretching all hell out of my chest with resistance bands, in the doorway, and on the pec deck, etc. with tremendous success there, thus the more buttoned down scapula on my left now. I have been bench pressing. I think the tight chest has contributed to poor lat activation so my pull ups kind of look like a bicep move. Without the ab straps on the horizontal cable, I tended to want to muscle that thing with my arm and cock my wrist like an arm wrestler! I’m not doing a lot of full range of motion pull downs because when I get my arms above my head, I want to recruit my arms. It’s helped some to lean forward with the cable pull down. Bent over rows with dumbbells seem to be hitting my lats but I think they are also really developing my upper traps.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
The relaxed pic only just showed up… looks good and symmetrical to me.

I can see that you have type I AC joints :wink:

BBB[/quote]

For anyone else following this discussion, I think BBB is referring to my prominent clavicles here. I’ve been doing some reading and talked to Levelh. It looks like it could make me prone to irritation at the shoulder/AC Joint, particularly when doing dips or horizontal pressing. I’ve never had an injury and have no pain, but it’s good to know. I thought I’d share in case someone else has the same presentation.

The prominent clavicles are bilateral. I’d assume it’s just another quirk peculiar to me. It doesn’t necessarily present itself with weakness in the scapular retractors, so it may or may not apply to others with that problem. I’ll keep doing what I’m doing which is working to strengthen the scapular retractors, while stretching my pecs. The cable row is my new BFF!

Cable rows to mid chest are a great rhomboid exercise, holding that peak contraction. Here’s the pic I mentioned earlier. Nothing ASTOUNDING, but ok I think.

mch, solid picture, but it is difficult to tell about winging of scapula due to the shadows and reflection of light in the picture and the flaring of your lats.

MCH - That’s a nice back! You look like you could do a pull up or two. :wink: I’ll keep you all posted as I progress- the thread can be called “baby got back” - LOL.

Sometimes I think my brain still hasn’t recognized that my lats exist!