Wine, Whisky, Libations

What is everyone currently drinking?

Beer: I am allergic. Despite loving dark Ales and Porters, I’d rather not lose my voice and throw up.

Wine: I find myself drinking a certain region until I feel like I’ve adequately tasted the variances between grapes and region. Currently drinking from the Piedmont area.

Whisky: Lots of Japanese.

Mixed drink: If I’m out, I enjoy a Rob Roy with Islay scotch, usually Laphroig. Although, it’s quite good with mezcal too.

Manhatten with Bulleit Rye - I had 3 this evening with dinner and they’re wonderful.

I’m currently working on a bottle of Pinot Grigio I got on the sale rack for $8. It’s nice but eminently forgettable. Like me!

3 Likes

I like bourbon.

My favorite is Wild Turkey Rare Breed.

3 Likes

Currently working through a bottle of this:

I don’t drink often, though. Maybe 1 a week.

4 Likes

Whisky guy. Picked up a bottle of Glenmorangie Lasanta (Sherry cask) - looking to pick up a Madeira cask today after work. Do enjoy a more peated (Laphroig 10 for example) Scotch from time to time.

Usually have a bottle of Booker’s Bourbon on hand.

There’s a place I go to for a nice old fashioned with muddled orange and cherry - usually made with Knob Creek. And there’s a nice craft cocktail bar the wife I go to that crafts their own drinks and they usually have fantastic whisky, gin and tequila concoctions. If anyone’s ever in the New Bedford, MA area it’s called Cultivator Shoals and worth a visit - it’s attached to a tattoo parlor downtown - nice atmosphere and bartenders are really great people who love their craft.

For beers I enjoy a good stout so often but my go to if available is Negra Modelo or Harpoon IPA.

Wine: we tend to keep Monte Vehlo portuguese red on hand - my wife loves it. But I’m good with any red on the dryish side. Do not like sweet wines except for Tawny Port or Madeira wine - those make for a good warming dessert wine. Mmm…love me some Madeira wine.

1 Like

I drink beer 99% of the time. Dogfish Head is my favorite brewery. Midas Touch, Burton Baton, Raison D’Etre, and Sixty-One are my favorites. SeaQuench Ale is also a great beer for drinking by the pool.

Since moving to Texas, Dogfish Head has been harder to come by, so I’ve been trying the local breweries. Blood and Honey by Revolver and Art Car IPA by St. Arnold are my two favorites so far.

I usually stay away from liquor since I tend to be very unpredictable when I’ve had too much to drink, and drinking stronger drinks means I overshoot the target pretty regularly. When I do drink it, I like smokier whiskeys similar to Johnny Walker Black. Not really much of a connoisseur though due to limited experience.

Favorite go-to cocktails are the Old Fashioned and a good margarita made with fresh lime juice, not the mix.

However, the coolest cocktail I’ve ever had is the Ginger Buzz from Brixology in NW Houston.

https://www.brixologybar.com/menu

You eat the Szechuan button prior to drinking; it makes your mouth tingle in a strange (but pleasant) way, and even gives you a little bit of euphoria. Pretty awesome IMO.

2 Likes

One of my favorite warmer weather beers is the Flesh and Blood Dogfish Head … man that’s a fanstastic beer

Dogfish Head is terrible. Ya, I said it!

See if you can get Heavy Seas http://www.hsbeer.com/brews

(Baltimore brewery, but I think it’s at least on the east coast if not national). Loose Cannon, Gold, and Cutlas are all good.)

I’m a one-drink-a-night-with-dinner guy, maybe two on weekends depending on what the evening plans are.

Beer: I’ve been trying so sample a lot of different stuff lately. I favor dark stouts and porters; my favorite thus far is Dragon’s Milk Bourbon Barrel Stout from Holland, Michigan. Java Cask Stout from Victory Brewing (Philly) is a close second. I also like a number of Southern Tier brews, with the Pumking (a fall seasonal) being a standout. I don’t go for the hoppy IPA style quite so much. I did have a black-and-tan recently that I was a big fan of, as well.

Wine: my wife and I are subscribers to this thing called Naked Wines, where you put $40/month into an account that supports independent wine makers; and once you’ve accumulated enough credit you can buy a case (build your own, or pre-made). So we don’t buy off the rack too much any more. One good budget buy that we picked up recently when we did have to buy “off the rack” was Gnarly Head Old Vine Zin. Surprisingly good at a decent price point.

In general, I enjoy chilled white wine over the summer (buttery chardonnay, or a crisp dry riesling on the lighter side; most pinot grigio is also generally an inoffensive, easy-drinking wine). I’m not as much a fan of dry or spicy reds like cab, although my wife is.

Whiskey: favorites here include Woodford Reserve Bourbon (especially the Double Oaked; high price point, but fantastic stuff) and Four Roses Bourbon. I’ve had @anon50325502’s Elijah Craig before and liked that as well.

2 Likes

My friend lives 10 minutes away from the brewery. It’s like Willie Wonka’s Factory with beer. Every beer they brew on tap. They give you a free flight. They have cases of 120 for sale.

In regards to whiskey, Whistle Pig is becoming one of my favorites. Made a Sazerac with it last night.

I think I’ve posted this before, this is probably my favorite bourbon to date:

It was a pretty decent price point for bourbon ($45 iirc). Very smooth almost no burning sensation at all.

I also like McCallan 12 scotch.

*Still a bit of a scotch/bourbon noob. I have yet to try anything more expensive than probably the Elijah Craig (basically under $60). I’ve been eyeing a Johnny Walker Blue for a couple of years now. Has anyone had it?

1 Like

Blue is overhyped. Almost any scotch at that price point is going to be better.

2 Likes

Good to know.

Inny drinks: Usually neat whisky (I actually prefer the cheap stuff over most of the pricier stuff I’ve tried) or Vodka.

Outy drinks: Bitter or lager &…later on usually JD & coke.

I also sometimes drink cider (sometimes mixed fruit…but not often).

I think I’ve only had Loose Cannon - it’s a damn fine beer

1 Like

That’s their signature beer. It’s one of my favorite beers.

EC is a good choice - tbh most bourbons at the price point I’ve had I haven’t been disappointed. If you can find Noah’s Creek, I’d recommend that - it’s smooth. I rend to like the cask strength stuff, like Booker’s, with a small splash of water to open it up a bit. I’m enjoying trying to pick out the different flavors - the Booker’s I have right now has a heavy backnote of cherry. It’s really fuckin’ good

1 Like

I do like me some Booker’s. I’ll see if I can find the Noah’s Creek.

1 Like

Yea, it’s all we have up here from them … i’m not complaining … it’s a good beer - Also a fan of Lagunita’s

There’s only one place around me that sells it … it’s a tough find … I’d say don’t go searching for it but keep an eye out. I think the retail price point is mid 50s lower 60s.

The place i go to tends to sell on the low end of price.

1 Like

My favorite seasonal. I’m also a big fan of Great Lakes Christmas Ale. I drank two cases while we were back in Pittsburgh for Thanksgiving and Christmas last year.