Will you still be training 40 years from now?

Eddy Merckx gave a far worse impression, still. But at least with professional athletes I can understand striving for extreme momentary goals.

Personally I’m looking for a good way to apply the 80-20 principle when it comes to health.

-Zulu

I’ll be training till the day I die. When I quit smoking 6 years ago, I used weight training as a replacement to my addiction. At the time I quit, I was talking to a friend and he told me it was either I smoke cigarettes for the rest of my life, or weight train for the rest of my life. I guess I chose the better path. Ha!

Well, I’ll be 81 and - by my calculations - still have another two or three decades left in me, so yes, I’ll be training. I’ll be the old guy who winces a bit as he straightens his back, but who can still run the younger newbie lifters into the ground. (For a while, anyway.) I hope to be able to serve as an inspiration to those around me, as several gentlemen of advanced age (Vince Gironda being primary among them) have served me over the years.

And I’ll tell you something. I don’t very often see senior citizens in the gym and working hard, but when I do I give them every ounce of respect that I have.

I would be 70, and I see guys that age in the club every time I go. There is what seems to be a group of them that all know each other that go, and they actually touch the free weights even.

They use dumbbells a bit, and you can really tell compared to normal folk their age. Yes, at that point the skin tends to sag a bit, but they still have visible muscle under it and aren’t fat like most older people get from sitting all day.

What does it matter how you’ll be training in 40 years, if the way you’re training gets you poontang NOW?

Hey just wanted to add that my Dad took up lifting last Sept. He just recently set PR’s in Bench and deadlift. The man is 70 years old people.

He says to me “Colin, this is great now what do I have to do to get a six pack?” Got to love that!!!

Yes. Training or dead.

I’ll likely be pushing up daisies in 40 years but if I am still around, I will then have 85 years of training under my my 32" belt.

I was waiting for AR to respond to this thread, as he already is 40 years from now.

:wink: