S1)Curls 3x10
S2)Overhead Extensions 3x10

Day 4
Squat 3x5
Romanian Deadlift 4x8-12
Chin ups 4x8-12
S1)Lateral Raises 3x10
S2)Rear Delt Raises 3x10

Will it work for an advanced beginner or intermediate?
Progression is 5lbs a week for Bench and Press, 10lbs a week for squat and deadlift.
For rows and chins I will increase the weight by 5lbs once I can do 4x12.

The 4 lifts are worked 2x a week except deadlifts and all muscle groups are worked 2x a week.
And before you ask, an advance beginner is someone with a 2x bodyweight deadlift, 1.5 bodyweight squat and 1.2 bodyweight bench. However with a very low bodyweight.

Get rid of Lateral Raises on Day 2/Day 4. Your shoulders already get hit doing Overhead Presses. Also, if you are trying to increase the strength of your barbell rows, why aren’t you doing them 3x5 as well? I’d also add in calves.

P.S. Why not do something like Babylover’s Starting Strength? Then you’ll hit everything 3x a week or more.

I wanna squat, bench and press 2x a week. and for calves ill do 100 reps of calf raises everyday. It doesn’t have to be a 4-days a week program, maybe one day on one day off. Also, back work is higher reps because it’s mostly slow twitch, or so I heard. Please correct me on this if I’m wrong. And I’ll have to keep the lateral raises cuz thats the only way my puny shoulders grow: frequency.

Everything works for a while. After some time that bench, squat, dead twice a week will burn your ass out.

[quote]dnlcdstn wrote:
Everything works for a while. After some time that bench, squat, dead twice a week will burn your ass out. [/quote]
X2.
Take at least 3 days between deads and squats. Do 1 main lift per training session and add 2-3 assistent exercises.

[quote]Mina293 wrote:
I wanna squat, bench and press 2x a week. and for calves ill do 100 reps of calf raises everyday. It doesn’t have to be a 4-days a week program, maybe one day on one day off. Also, back work is higher reps because it’s mostly slow twitch, or so I heard. Please correct me on this if I’m wrong. And I’ll have to keep the lateral raises cuz thats the only way my puny shoulders grow: frequency.[/quote]

I would keep the lateral raises. 3x10 lateral raises isn’t going to effect your pressing strength. Instead of doing the same thing for lateral raises twice in the program, you might want to add a little variety on the second day and do some cable laterals and facepulls for rear delts.

[quote]gigomoravac wrote:

[quote]dnlcdstn wrote:
Everything works for a while. After some time that bench, squat, dead twice a week will burn your ass out. [/quote]
X2.
[/quote]
x3

I guess the consensus is that it’s too frequent even for a beginner. A better plan would have me doing the 4 lifts heavy once a week and for reps another day, with everything else being twice a week as well. Sounds like 531 BBB with weekly progressions.

[quote]Mina293 wrote:
I guess the consensus is that it’s too frequent even for a beginner. A better plan would have me doing the 4 lifts heavy once a week and for reps another day, with everything else being twice a week as well. Sounds like 531 BBB with weekly progressions.[/quote]

Depends on how heavy you are lifting.

1. Don’t drop the lateral raises

2. The workout looks fine. If you do an active deload every 4-12 weeks you shouldn’t get burned out.

3. I just started a new routine and so I’ll let you know if taking X days off between deadlifting and squating is just some stupid crap people say for the fear of overtraining. But sure one off day between day 2 and 3 would be good anyways because working out 4 days in a row sucks reguardless.
    My Routine when it comes to legs.

Heavy Dealifts on Monday
Heavy Squats on Tuesday
HIIT Sprint Cardio on Wednesday
Legs hypertrophy on Saturday (includes front squats and stiff leg deadlift)

I’m doing legs like 4 days a week. I’m also running a deload at 40-60% every 4 weeks.

It looks like a great routine for a beginner to me so go for it.

The only change I would make is for instance on day 1 and 2 you keep doing lower rep strength stuff and on day 3 and 4 you work at a higher rep range and possibly with alternate movements.

Such as Incline bench or front squat etc. and maybe 3x8-12 or something NOMSAYIN?

The template is 1 - 2 - off - 3 - off - 4 - off

and yes I will probably have to change the rep ranges for this to work, but I think changing the movements on the second day will aid in hypertrophy but not strength. Let’s say I benched twice a week, 3x5 and 4x10, I would probably be able to increase by 5 lbs the following week.

However, If i bench 3x5 and incline bench 4x10, progression would be harder, since the stimuli is different and I’m only doing the movement once a week. So my question is: What makes progression faster, doing the main movement twice a week, or doing it once and doing a variation of it days later?

Another question: If I switch squats with overhead presses, basically doing fullbody 4x a week, would that work too?

Sorry if I missed it but what exactly is your goal?

[quote]Mina293 wrote:
The template is 1 - 2 - off - 3 - off - 4 - off

and yes I will probably have to change the rep ranges for this to work, but I think changing the movements on the second day will aid in hypertrophy but not strength. Let’s say I benched twice a week, 3x5 and 4x10, I would probably be able to increase by 5 lbs the following week.

However, If i bench 3x5 and incline bench 4x10, progression would be harder, since the stimuli is different and I’m only doing the movement once a week. So my question is: What makes progression faster, doing the main movement twice a week, or doing it once and doing a variation of it days later?

Another question: If I switch squats with overhead presses, basically doing fullbody 4x a week, would that work too?

[/quote]

I know this doesn’t directly answer your question, but instead of trying to nail down a set poundage increase each week, how about selecting a target rep range and then increasing once you hit the upper end and really “own” that weight? So for a 3 x 5 day, use a rep range of 4 - 7. Once you hit 7 successfully, increase by 5 or 10 lbs. I find when I try to force the increase, my form goes to shit as I am doing everything I can (grinding, etc.) to hit my 5 reps, regardless of weight.

I just don’t understand why you’d bench and overhead press heavy on the same day. Together that’s a pretty heavy toll on the shoulder structure. If you benched heavy and pressed light, then pressed heavy and benched light, that would be a different story… but that’s not what I saw in the program you wrote.

Smashingweights: goal is strength and size, respectively

Tyler: if you think about it, it’s actually the same thing but with a lower rep range. When i hit the upper end of 5 reps, i increase the weights. So its kinda 3x2-5, if i get 3x5 , increase by 5lbs. if i dont, repeat 3x (own the weight), deload if i still fail and work up again.

Lorez: i posted earlier that I will have to change the reps on the second time i do the lift, probably to 4x8-12. But if i do a variation of the lift the second time i do it, will i progress any slower?

Thanks to all the posters, all (most) your points are valid and your criticism is welcomed. You already shed some light on a few things for me.

The reason I said to get rid of Lateral Raises was because you could be doing Front Raises instead…

Dude, what has this forum become?

I’m sure glad Pauli stepped in with a voice of reason.

OP, make sure you don’t stay out past midnight either, you have an increased likelihood of getting mugged.

[quote]The Anchor wrote:
The reason I said to get rid of Lateral Raises was because you could be doing Front Raises instead…[/quote]

Your first post was bad enough, this just made you look worse…lol.

The Anchor: Its alright bud thats probably how it works for you and you were just helping, thanks

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]The Anchor wrote:
The reason I said to get rid of Lateral Raises was because you could be doing Front Raises instead…[/quote]

Your first post was bad enough, this just made you look worse…lol. [/quote]
The reason I said to get rid of Bb Rows was because you could be doing deadlifts instead.