T Nation

Will This Plan Work or No?

I’m new, and I wanted to try something fresh. Will this program work or is it flawed. I based it on training idea that Chad Waterbury proposes with The Singles Club and I added some exercises that help with the major lift. Is it too stressful on the nervous system?

Monday:

Bench Press 14x1
Close-Grip Bench Press 3x6-8
Shoulder Press 3x6-8
Lying Internal Rotation 3x6-8
Lying External Rotation 3x6-8

Tuesday:

Barbell Bent-Over Rows 14x1
Bicep Curl 3x6-8
Rear Deltoid Raise 3x6-8
Preacher Curl 3x6-8
Weighted Hyperextension 3x6-8

Wednesday:
Off

Thursday:
Military Press 14x1
Skullcrushers 3x6-8
Lateral Raise 3x6-8
Face Pulls 3x6-8
Incline Shoulder Raise 3x6-8

Friday:

Deadlift 14x1
Lying Leg Press 3x6-8
Leg Curl 3x6-8
Full-Contact Twists 3x6-8
Farmers Walk 3x30m

Depends completely on your goals, if you can justify your excercise selection, excersise order and your set/rep/rest and you get results from it then fine.

I can’t say whether it will work as I don’t know what you want this program to do. But lets say you want to get bigger and/or stronger I have no idea why you would do 14 sets of singles, unless you were specifically trying to increase your weight on that exercise. Also 26 sets per session seems like a lot and probably will strain the nervous system unless you’re a tank.

You’ve got loads of isolation exercises, do less volume and more compound movements. I could say a whole lot more but I can’t be botthered, post your stats and goals then ask for feedback, and if you cna justify why you have chosen these exercises in this order, in this odd split and why those sets/reps.

Tobes

Chad Waterbury wrote that many sets of singleswould stimulate strength and muscle growth, and from what I’ve read from people and their positive experiences with his program, I decided to try to incorporate it into a new program of my own.

I chose the exercises because I thought I could do singles with a 3 rep max to increase strength and size, and also prevent injury and further increase my lift strength by specifically targeting the muscles that assist with the lift or help stabilize it.

No squats. Add some in.

What’s your training age? For me, singles didn’t do a damn thing until I’d been training for over a year.

If you are a beginner your CNS is more likely to curl up into a ball and cry if you do 14x1. But I haven’t seen someone try something like this whilst having so little strength development. Try it and tell me how you go in 4 weeks… lol.

It will be interesting.

Just make sure you warm up good so you don’t tear something. Also, I would suggest doing only 2 sets for each of your allocated assistance excercises for fear of over-training, and doing reps of 15-20 for Lying Internal Rotation and Lying External Rotation. I also fear joint damage at your stage.

Also, where are your glute and middle-back excercises? I don’t think you have a very balanced layout. Though I haven’t read the article it is based on.

Errrr… you didn’t even use Waterbury’s format! Just do what he tells you to do and cut the sets in half!!! Douche bag.

Absolutely ridiculous workload. I can’t see this working for an advanced athelete, never mind a beginner.
How many years have you been training? I don’t think you are mature enough to design your own program yet. Just take a stock one online.
If its not broken don’t fix it.

Copied, pasted, halved the sets. NOW it.

7x1
A. Barbell Back Squats (HERE ARE YOUR SQUATS - LEARN TO DO THE TECHNIQUE LIKE A POWERLIFTER PLEASE)
B. Back Extensions (clutch a plate to your chest to add resistance)
C. Seated Calf Raises

2x18
A1. Chin-ups
A2. Flat Bench Press
B1. Barbell Rows
B2. Dumbell Skull Crushers

2x18
A1. Barbell Deadlifts
A2. Standing Calf Raises (JUST MAKES YOU SHORT - i suggest doing heel sitting calf raises for the anterior tibialis)
B1. Lying Leg Curls
B2. Hanging Pikes

7x1
A. Incline Barbell Bench Press,
B. Chest-supported Rows (palms supinated for biceps activation)
C. Dips

Personally I would just get you to do Rippetoe’s Starting Strength, buy the book if you want to, otherwise there is an FAQ at bb.com

But give the singles program a shot for 4-6 weeks and tell us your progress, just for interest’s sake.

[quote]forevernade wrote:
Copied, pasted, halved the sets. NOW it.

7x1
A. Barbell Back Squats (HERE ARE YOUR SQUATS - LEARN TO DO THE TECHNIQUE LIKE A POWERLIFTER PLEASE)
B. Back Extensions (clutch a plate to your chest to add resistance)
C. Seated Calf Raises

2x18
A1. Chin-ups
A2. Flat Bench Press
B1. Barbell Rows
B2. Dumbell Skull Crushers

2x18
A1. Barbell Deadlifts
A2. Standing Calf Raises (JUST MAKES YOU SHORT - i suggest doing heel sitting calf raises for the anterior tibialis)
B1. Lying Leg Curls
B2. Hanging Pikes

7x1
A. Incline Barbell Bench Press,
B. Chest-supported Rows (palms supinated for biceps activation)
C. Dips[/quote]

forevernade - just curious, why did you eliminate structural balance stuff?

Of course. I ask a question and people are calling me a douche bag. I’ve been training seriously for close to 2 years.

I didn’t say this is a copy of Single’s Club. I said that I liked the concept behind it. I get hounded for trying to think something up.
It’s like people take personal offense. lol

And yeah… I’ll add in squats replacing the leg press and replace the leg curls with Glute-Ham raises and cut the sets down too.

Well for people who wanna know… I have a meso-endo body type and I’m 16. My current 1 rep maxes are…

bench press 225lbs
military press 125lbs
hang clean 180lbs
squat(atg) 340lbs
deadlift 355lbs

Sorry, I misinterpreted it to mean you were using the Single’s Club format.

I didn’t ‘remove’ anything. This is copied and pasted from Single’s Club article.
If you meant relative to OP’s routine, I do Internal Rotation and External Rotation, but I am a breakdancer so I have a specific reason (for air-chair strength, and shoulder health).

If you look at the Single’s Club format, there is no structural imbalance, there is just no ‘assistance’ excercises, the lack of which isn’t to do with the point of the format.

[quote]bench press 225lbs
military press 125lbs
hang clean 180lbs
squat(atg) 340lbs
deadlift 355lbs[/quote]

How much do you weigh? and roughly what bf% are you? They are good numbers considering you are a beginner, but I don’t know your previous training history. What have you done in the past 2 years?

[quote]forevernade wrote:
I based it on training idea that Chad Waterbury proposes with The Singles Club and I added some exercises that help with the major lift.

Sorry, I misinterpreted it to mean you were using the Single’s Club format.

forevernade - just curious, why did you eliminate structural balance stuff?

I didn’t ‘remove’ anything. This is copied and pasted from Single’s Club article.
If you meant relative to OP’s routine, I do Internal Rotation and External Rotation, but I am a breakdancer so I have a specific reason (for air-chair strength, and shoulder health).
If you look at the Single’s Club format, there is no structural imbalance, there is just no ‘assistance’ excercises, the lack of which isn’t to do with the point of the format.

bench press 225lbs
military press 125lbs
hang clean 180lbs
squat(atg) 340lbs
deadlift 355lbs
How much do you weigh? and roughly what bf% are you? They are good numbers considering you are a beginner, but I don’t know your previous training history. What have you done in the past 2 years?[/quote]

I’ve played football in my first year of high school, and I just train now because I want to get stronger. I’ve been doing Mark Rippetoe’s Starting Strength and a football program consisting of olympic lifts and heavy compound lifts… if that is what you mean.

Well keep doing what you are doing, sounds like you are on the right track.
I still don’t know how much you weigh, so I cant tell how strong you really are.