Will Push-Ups Maintain Strength?

Ive noticed that my muscles recover fast but my tendons are still sore. I usually dont feel anything until i start to lift. Its the tendons around where my biceps connect into my chest. I was going to take two weeks off, but I was wondering if doing pushups in the meantime will maintain my strenght?

I want my biceps to attach to my chest. Is there a surgery for that?

[quote]ucallthatbass wrote:
I want my biceps to attach to my chest. Is there a surgery for that?[/quote]

Yes but you can’t flex your arm anymore.

Hey smartasses lookie here:

http://www.drmoch.com/images/shoulder_biceps.jpg

http://www.southwest-ortho.com/images/sports/proximal-biceps-tendons.jpg

http://tendonitissymptoms.com/shoulder-tendonitis/

It’s called biceps tendinitis.

If pushups irritate the tendons then don’t do them. You can always put some weight on your back to increase the weight for the pushups and put your feet on a stool to increase the weight on your arms. Maybe do flyes or something to work the pecs. Do whatever doesn’t bother your tendon and don’t worry about your potential losses. The weight on the bar will go up if you let your injury heal.

did an '09er just pwn two people? why yes he did.

It depends. If your “strength” is comprised of being able to bench roughly less than your body weight a handful of times, then yes.
If your strength is comprised of being able to bench much, much more than that, then no. I don’t see how a stimulus weaker than what you’re body has adapted to will allow you to maintain your current strength levels.

[quote]thefederalist wrote:
did an '09er just pwn two people? why yes he did.[/quote]
How was that pwnage? All of those images clearly illustrate the the bicep does, in fact, not connect to the chest.

He pwned them on anatomy but not on treatment.

How are weighted pushups not going to aggravate his tendonitis especially if he adds plates on his back?

Seems like his real question was if BW pushups were going to maintain his strength.

[quote]Sharp4850 wrote:

How was that pwnage? All of those images clearly illustrate the the bicep does, in fact, not connect to the chest.[/quote]

Don’t try to understand 09er

the bicep tendon he refers to doe sin fact cross the shoulder joint, and a typical injury to that area would be acerbated by pressing movements, leading to a description of the pain as aggravating his chest. you two got pwned for being smartasses and making no attempt to help.

i think clip11 has a shoulder problem, and 2 weeks wont solve anything. look into shoulder dislocations, incorporate more pulling as opposed to pressing, and look up some shoulder rehab articles but Eric Cressey and Mike Robertson

i didn’t read the link…self pwn

No, you wont maintain strength on bench with just pushups unless its just a week or two. BUT, you need to read the above article, learn to bench correctly (so that you dont tear a pec) or just stop benching all together. The choice is yours, tuck them elbows

[quote]Eli B wrote:

How are weighted pushups not going to aggravate his tendonitis especially if he adds plates on his back?

Seems like his real question was if BW pushups were going to maintain his strength.[/quote]

Did you read the first part of what I said where I said don’t do them if they aggravate the injury?
My guess is that any pressing movements will bother them.

I’ll say just like I do every single time, that I’m weak as shit (read my log, I suck), but having dealt with this injury earlier I can say that it’s either caused by too much volume, too much weight too fast, or incorrect technique. I found that if I bench with my elbows too close to perpendicular to my body, then I have more likelihood of developing this.

And yeah, it’s more of a shoulder issue than a chest issue, but it feels like it’s occurring on the lateral part of the superior pectorals if you don’t know what’s going on. Given that the OP is injured, I gave him the benefit of the doubt.

OP search for shoulder savers. Some of your issues and future issues will probably be on there.

I tore my labrum in my left shoulder right where the bicep tendon attaches. Pressing movements definitely bothered my bicep more than it did my injured shoulder. Just my two cents

.greg.

No I did not! Don’t worry about it. I’m an idiot.

My pushups don’t even work the same part of the delt than my bench press. And doing pushups with extra weight on your back is an excellent exercise. Probably won’t keep your strength though but will help.

[quote]Eli B wrote:

Seems like his real question was if BW pushups were going to maintain his strength.[/quote]

Fuck no… I’ve had shoulder surgery, with 3 different procedures done. I know shoulder anatomy and function. The OP’s question was not stated in an intelligent fashion at all.

The long head of the bicep tendon crosses the anterior of the shoulder, through the rotator interval, and attaches to the labrum. It can be overly recruited in pressing movements when poor form and other muscle imbalances in the shoulder are present.

If in fact it is the OP’s bicep tendon, then he should ice the front of his shoulder immediately after benching, use proper form, and bench solely on an incline for the time being or take a break from benching. Work on muscle imbalances and scapular control.

Keep in mind that poor rowing form can also adversely effect the anterior shoulder capsule if shoulder retraction and depression is a problem and the pec minor is tight or shortened. In addition to the above, the OP should check his upper body posture and see if he has anterior head carriage. Take some fish oil, Advil, use ice, and consider all 09ers and 010ers PWNED

Greg you had a SLAP tear correct?

I have an overly stretched anterior shoulder capsule with a tear from a dislocation. Had an anterior capsular shift, rotator interval closure, and a bankhart repair. It’s been 3 years since the surgery and benching over 75 dbs still suck. In fact, any form of benching or flyes hurt, but surprisingly dips and military presses don’t.

I was misdiagnosis by 3 doctors, with everything from bicepital tendinitis and RC tear, to slap tear, and partial shoulder replacement. The arthogram showed no tear, but all the dye pooled in one spot that was all stretched out.

jump off a bridge, and read my posts above.

[quote]ucallthatbass wrote:
I want my biceps to attach to my chest. Is there a surgery for that?[/quote]

I meant the area where my biceps connect to my shoulder and the arean between the top part of my bicep and the edge of my chest