T Nation

Will My Preworkout Break My Fast?

I’ve been doing IF and almost all of lifts fasted and I love it, it works for me.

But I have this sick ass preworkout with dmaa in it that I love taking. However it has a little bit of creatine and like 30 calories per serving in it. Will this break my fast?

Yes.

But also, it has dmaa in it. That’s more what you should worry about.

2 Likes

How would you define fasting?

Why are you fasting? Fat loss, health benefits? If it is simply to eat larger meals later in the day, who cares?

im mainly fasting because I saw a bunch of studies that said you get a massive increase in H Growth Hormone from it. The getting to each larger meals later in the day is just an added bonus i guess.

If that is it, do not worry about it. There is no massive release.

I was about to denounce this as another ‘Oh no, not another “If I ingest X will it break my fast” thread’ when I looked up the Oxford dictionary and it defines a fast as to: “Abstain from all or some kinds of food or drink, especially as a religious observance.” So reference to “some” clearly leaves the door open to a million more such threads. Thank you Oxford dictionary boffins!

Theres’ your problem. Merriam Webster has fasting as:
“1: to abstain from food
2: to eat sparingly or abstain from some foods”

So in their eyes, drinking is fine and some food can be acceptable. They’ve got the right idea. :wink:

If that’s the reason you’re fasting (the effectiveness being a whole separate issue), then anything that’s not plain water will break the fast and reduce the supposed benefits.

1 Like

Yes, this is one of the reasons why Michael Mosley’s 5:2 annoys me. If it was a total fast he wouldn’t make all that follow up cash from the 5:2 cookbooks, etc!

Never heard of it till now. Seems like a heavy stimulant that is banned in the UK? Linked with heart attacks, have I got the right one?

Yup.

I’ve got absolutely zero knowledge on this but will amphetamines have a bigger affect on hgh than fasting? And health in general?

Get off the damn speed, and just have a cup of coffee mixed with creatine.

Braaah you just ask yourself:
"Is it really safe …to look this awesome?(are livers really that important??:upside_down_face:)…