Will Mr Olympia 2009 be on TV?

[quote]jt561 wrote:
Will mr olympia 2009 be on t.v.? If so, how do i watch it. I will pay for it if it’s pay per view. I have comcast[/quote]

LOL! Just go to any carnival/freak show.

[quote]pech24 wrote:
It is shown on PPV. I remember seeing it last year. Has nothing to do with “mainstream media” it has to do with Weder getting a station to buy the rights to televise it. It is not a big enough draw to make money off of. [/quote]

Well, considering that theres a large portion of people on this forum who think anything above 16 inch arms is WAY TOO BIG…

Kind of off topic but the 2008 summer olympics (China) barely showed the weightlifting events.

trust me somebody wants your money, if enough of you want it for them to sell ads they will gladly show it.

[quote]jt561 wrote:
That’s a bunch of bullshit. These are some of the best athletes in the world, with the best physique’s in the world. Beyond that, steroids is common in just about every main sport out there.

Where can I watch it online? Though I wish I didn’t have to sacrifice quality.[/quote]

False… they are not some of the best athletes in the world. If they were theyd play sports. BB’s use more performance enhancing drugs than any other sport - 100% of professionals use. And its a pageant. Not taking anything away from them, they are good at what they do and there is a begninng intermediate and advanced level of competition. But athletes they are not

I don’t see how getting that big and in that extreme conditioning is “not a sport”

[quote]rassy wrote:
jt561 wrote:
That’s a bunch of bullshit. These are some of the best athletes in the world, with the best physique’s in the world. Beyond that, steroids is common in just about every main sport out there.

Where can I watch it online? Though I wish I didn’t have to sacrifice quality.

False… they are not some of the best athletes in the world. If they were theyd play sports. BB’s use more performance enhancing drugs than any other sport - 100% of professionals use. And its a pageant. Not taking anything away from them, they are good at what they do and there is a begninng intermediate and advanced level of competition. But athletes they are not
[/quote]

I disagree but I understand what you mean. It isn’t really a display of athleticism, but they are athletes, and it is a sport. I mean, if cross country skiing and fox hunting are sports, BBing is a sport. Are they more athletic than athletes in the 4 major sports here, no. But they are athletes with a unique set of skills nonetheless.

[quote]rassy wrote:
jt561 wrote:

Where can I watch it online? Though I wish I didn’t have to sacrifice quality.

[/quote]

That’s one hell of a dumb ass assumption.

Many of the top pro’s either played professional or college level sports.

Not to mention that they have the most sought after genetics in the athletic world, to not call them athletes is just dumb.

That’s like saying Jerry Rice or Michael Jordan aren’t athletes because they have retired, doesn’t make much sense does it?

Also, what does the dose of the drug have to do with anything here? We aren’t arguing about dosages, there is drug use in all sports, that’s all that needs to be said.

[quote]BulletproofTiger wrote:
They show WSM and not the O because nobody knows what the O is. Moreover, WSM satisfies the average person’s need to see buff dudes, but spares them from looking at scary muscle mass in a speedo. Fact is most people find that unappealing. We are the minority. Accept it proudly. Darts doesn’t get an “Eww, gross” reaction, therefore ESPN or FSN or what have you fills programming gaps with it. It sucks; I know. Go call your cable company or something.[/quote]

This is exactly right! I watched WSM before i started lifting weights but i wouldn’t ever thought of watching a BB show because there is no appeal in watching men prance around on stage in a speedo. However now that i actually enjoy it i prolly would watch it but only because i am into the sport somewhat.

[quote]Sarev0k wrote:
I don’t see how getting that big and in that extreme conditioning is “not a sport”[/quote]

You don’t understand that everyone may have a different definition of what a sport is?

[quote]Sarev0k wrote:
I don’t see how getting that big and in that extreme conditioning is “not a sport”[/quote]

I will reiterate my point… I am not taking anything away from them. They are good at what they do, they can add symmetrical aesthetically pleasing muscle and achieve insanely low bf levels. HOWEVER lmfao they are not conditioned and it is not a sport. Have you ever met a pro bodybuilder? they get gased going up stairs… they are far from conditioned. And as for comparing it to other sports like “fox hunting and darts” those arent sports either. By definition they are games not sports.

[quote]rassy wrote:
Sarev0k wrote:
I don’t see how getting that big and in that extreme conditioning is “not a sport”

I will reiterate my point… I am not taking anything away from them. They are good at what they do, they can add symmetrical aesthetically pleasing muscle and achieve insanely low bf levels. HOWEVER lmfao they are not conditioned and it is not a sport. Have you ever met a pro bodybuilder? they get gased going up stairs… they are far from conditioned. And as for comparing it to other sports like “fox hunting and darts” those arent sports either. By definition they are games not sports. [/quote]

Have you ever met a pro bodybuilder?

Have you personally watched one walk up stairs and get “gassed”?

This shit doesn’t happen rofl, god you’re an idiot.

[quote]rassy wrote:
Sarev0k wrote:

I will reiterate my point… I am not taking anything away from them. They are good at what they do, they can add symmetrical aesthetically pleasing muscle and achieve insanely low bf levels. HOWEVER lmfao they are not conditioned and it is not a sport. Have you ever met a pro bodybuilder? they get gased going up stairs… they are far from conditioned. And as for comparing it to other sports like “fox hunting and darts” those arent sports either. By definition they are games not sports. [/quote]

Wow. I have met pro bodybuilders and even trained along with one. Idrise Ward-el does not get winded walking up stairs and you would probably think he played pro football if you simply saw him walk in the gym. Where the fuck are you getting these assumptions from?

It is pretty damn clear your experience is limited. Are you just quoting Shugart?

When I was young I remember seeing televised strong man comps, rowing airplanes, lifting cars and all sorts of crazy shit. That’s what sparked my interest in health.

[quote]rassy wrote:
Sarev0k wrote:

Just because Shugart typed it doesn’t make it true.

[quote]phishfood1128 wrote:
Kind of off topic but the 2008 summer olympics (China) barely showed the weightlifting events. [/quote]

Yes, I remember they were all on at 2-5 AM.

Bullshit, that was right before I had a DV-R too.

[quote]Chi-Towns-Finest wrote:
When I was young I remember seeing televised strong man comps, rowing airplanes, lifting cars and all sorts of crazy shit. That’s what sparked my interest in health.[/quote]

They used to show the Mr. Olympia and even when they quit showing that, they had American Muscle on randomly which very often show cased “natural” bodybuilders. That was when I first heard of Kai Greene back when he was competing at over 225lbs all natural…which was bigger than I was at the time which blew my mind.

ESPN clearly has an agenda and someone is making the decision to avoid showing bodybuilding at all. You really have to wonder why this irks some people so much. How confused must someone be about their own sexuality to see a bodybuilding competition and focus on their underwear?

This current steroid witch hunt has thrown the baby out with the bath water.

[quote]rassy wrote:
Have you ever met a pro bodybuilder? they get gased going up stairs… they are far from conditioned. [/quote]

There are a few that train at my gym, one of which is an IFBB pro (eddie abbew), and a couple others that probably soon will be.

Now that considering their preferred method of preparing for a show is going up the stairmill for 60 minutes (roughly 200 floors) 4-5x a week, I’d say that they can go up stairs just fine ;).

P.S - The stairmill is fucking difficult.

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:
rassy wrote:
Have you ever met a pro bodybuilder? they get gased going up stairs… they are far from conditioned.

There are a few that train at my gym, one of which is an IFBB pro (eddie abbew), and a couple others that probably soon will be.

Now that considering their preferred method of preparing for a show is going up the stairmill for 60 minutes (roughly 200 floors) 4-5x a week, I’d say that they can go up stairs just fine ;).

P.S - The stairmill is fucking difficult.[/quote]

Ronnie Coleman does this for HOURS without getting winded and he was 300 fucking pounds.

So, again RASSY, who the fuck do you know of who is a pro bodybuilder but can’t climb stairs?

Hell, do you even know any current pro bodybuilders competing in the next Olympia?

Why the fuck do guys who know the least insist on informing all of us on how much they don’t know?

Bodybuilding is not a sport in the classic sense of the word but in the new age definition it is. Any physical activity with standard rules and a competitive aspect is technically a sport. I’m not exactly sure how standard bodybuilding’s rules are though. It seems that there is a relatively high subjectivity involved plus the supposed political aspect.

Bodybuilding is also not inherently athletic. There are athletic bodybuilders but the “sport” itself does not require a high level of athleticism. I realize that people associate muscle with athleticism and so bodybuilding lends itself to people thinking that it is an athletic event.

My personal opinion is that “bodybuilding” is more of a mental condition than a “sport”. lol

That being said, I would much rather ESPN show the Olympia and Arnold events than poker every night and bowling, pool, and darts.