T Nation

Will I Get Fat Whilst Bulking?

Hi
Started a clean bulk a couple of weeks back. Im really skinny as it is at 122 pounds, but im afraid by the end of the year, im going to look fat.

Can anyone give me some info as to how much fat I might gain on a bulking diet? My calorie surplus is 3000. I know because im skinny, SOME fat gains will be good, just dont want to look like iv’e put on a ton of fat at the end.

If you are a) eating healthy resl food , not processed junk and b) training hard and trying to get stronger every week, then you will not look like you got fat. As long as both of those things are taken care of you will be ok.

Besides which any fat you gain will take only a few weeks to get rid of, compared to months of gaining muscle.

Also, i think you mean your total calorie intake is 3000, not your surplus.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
If you are a) eating healthy resl food , not processed junk and b) training hard and trying to get stronger every week, then you will not look like you got fat. As long as both of those things are taken care of you will be ok.

Besides which any fat you gain will take only a few weeks to get rid of, compared to months of gaining muscle.

Also, i think you mean your total calorie intake is 3000, not your surplus. [/quote]

Orite, thanks once again man :slight_smile:
So how proportional is fat to muscle gain?
Does this mean I wont have to cut at the end?

[quote]LindenGarcia18 wrote:

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

Also, i think you mean your total calorie intake is 3000, not your surplus. [/quote]

Orite, thanks once again man :slight_smile:
So how proportional is fat to muscle gain?
Does this mean I wont have to cut at the end?
[/quote]

There is nothing set in stone here man, because everyone is SO vastly different. Many can gain good, quality lean muscle with a lot less fat than others. Some people have to be meticulous with their diet and training where others can cruise by a little easier.

If you’re like 120 pounds, you have so far to go before you should be worrying about this. I would definitely focus on making sure of a few things,

1.) As mentioned above, keep getting stronger. Eat. Period.

2.) Make sure your PANT’S WAISTLINE continues to fit without issue. The mirror can be deceiving and screw with you (you see yourself every day,) more often than pants sizing is a very underrated aspect to keep an eye on. This should dictate and be a good reminder of your current level of leanness.

3.) You need to take your shirt sizes, and probably wear two sizes more than you do now before you should really worry about this. I honestly have no idea how tall you are but the fact is is that unless they’re little hipster girls or something, most girls won’t really care how lean you are if you’re not supporting a noticeable amount of muscle.

Just my .02 but seriously, this shit takes a long time and requires a lot of patience and fortitude.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

I will say I disagree just slightly, you can get fat off clean foods, calories in calories out.

However, nutrient dense foods, it takes a lot more volume of food to actually eat the equivalent of calories that you’d find in junk food. So at the end of the day it is harder to over indulge when eating clean than if you were to eat junk. In return you’ll have less chance of accumulating an excess of fat.

[quote]austin_bicep wrote:

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

I will say I disagree just slightly, you can get fat off clean foods, calories in calories out.

However, nutrient dense foods, it takes a lot more volume of food to actually eat the equivalent of calories that you’d find in junk food. So at the end of the day it is harder to over indulge when eating clean than if you were to eat junk. In return you’ll have less chance of accumulating an excess of fat.[/quote]

Yeah you can certainly get fat off clean foods. I was just emphasizing the fact that at 120 lbs, the OP needs to forget about the mirror and just worry about if strength is increasing.

The pants size tip is a good one. Excellent point–my only caveat is that you might give an inch leeway, just due to gaining muscle around the midsection. I wear 1-2 inches wider around the waist than when i was 90 lbs smaller just due to gaining muscle around the obliques and abs.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

processed food doesnt make people fat, a large surplus of calories does.

[quote]ryan.b_96 wrote:

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

[/quote]

Nope, calories in calories out is an outdated paradigm.

Someone eating 3000 calories from Krispy cremes is going to look vastly different to someone getting 3000 calories from lean meat and vegetables.

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:

[quote]ryan.b_96 wrote:

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

[/quote]

Someone eating 3000 calories from Krispy cremes is going to look vastly different to someone getting 3000 calories from lean meat and vegetables.[/quote]

Would someone eating 3000 calories of ice cream look the same as someone eating 5000 calories of meat and veggies? Cuz I think that’s basically how I’ve lived my life lol.

Nope, calories in calories out is an outdated paradigm
[/quote]

yes BUT…
Once your food selection is on track, THEN yes, calories do count.

Mat’

[quote]ryan.b_96 wrote:

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

[/quote]

Someone eating 3000 calories from Krispy cremes is going to look vastly different to someone getting 3000 calories from lean meat and vegetables.[/quote]

If you eat less calories than you burn no matter what the food is you will lose weight.

Will you have different body compositions, well duh, but will you gain weight on a caloric deficit? No, and I don’t care what the food is.

Macros are the most important thing when making muscular and fat changes in a physique. Krispy Creme donut diet would be very high in carbs, fats and have little protein which is essential for building muscle.

3000kcal @ 122lbs is gonna make you fat as fuck no matter what

[quote]Kooopa wrote:
3000kcal @ 122lbs is gonna make you fat as fuck no matter what[/quote]

No matter what?

[quote]ryan.b_96 wrote:

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

[/quote]

eating in a deflict will cause weight loss no matter what food you eat.

weight gain and weight loss is simply a function of calories in vs calories out.

I started @ 130 and ate about 3,000 each day. I was 6 punds heavier after two months and slowly lost my lean club card = not ‘fat’ by any means. But I’m a terribly skinny fucker by nature. start with 2,200, work hard on squats, deadlifts, presses and pull ups and see how heavy you are in two weeks. If you haven’t gained 2-4 pounds, eat more; if you’ve gained more (unlikely), eat a bit less.

I have nothing to add, but I always snicker at the thread title.

You are 122 pounds.

I’d say you just need to eat.

Your profile says you are 16. Your metabolism at that age will give you more leeway than someone older as long as you are honest with clean bulk and are eating the majority of your 3000 calories from good clean foods e.g. lean protein, good carbs then I think you will be fine.

Your hormone levels at this age are ideal for you to make amazing gains if you eat enough and lift heavy.

Quit looking for the magic formula. You will naturally increase your appetite through training properly and training hard; just feed the hunger, keep it clean, and get proper rest. If you’re getting stronger, don’t worry about your size.

You’re young and a beginner. Don’t be so focused on the end result that you lose track of what needs to be done today. Otherwise, you’ll always be searching for some new miracle ratio/program/supplement/diet. It’s not rocket science…yet.

[quote]Kooopa wrote:
3000kcal @ 122lbs is gonna make you fat as fuck no matter what[/quote]

BROSCIENCE!!!

Dudeness–where was your avatar picture taken? Looks a lot like Horsecreek ranch in arkansas…