Will Glucosamine Help?

Hello all,
My cartiladge, especially in my knees, is not the best. What is the verdict on Glucosamine? Thanks!

JF

It works. 1500MG a day.

Yes, Glucosamine sulfate is the best form, The sulfate aspect is vital. Small doses often say 750mg 3-4 times per day.

[quote]george1977 wrote:
Yes, Glucosamine sulfate is the best form, The sulfate aspect is vital. Small doses often say 750mg 3-4 times per day.[/quote]

The sulfate aspect is vital.

Based on?

Even being the “stick in the mud” that I am, I too value glucosamine/ chondoitin (1.2-1.5g* each).

My lumbar stiffness (likely osteoarthritis after 15+ years heavy squatting) was reduced some after 2-3 months of just one daily capsule. And after I upped it to a full dose (2 capsules wholesale club brand) I can no longer feel any problems.

I’ve spoken to and read comments from several physicians who seem to concur that about 1/3 of patients significantly benefit. I admit, though: I stacked the cards in my favor with 3g fish oil (EPA+DHA) most days, too. (Also supportive of joint stiffness and cartilage integrity.)

I started taking Glucosamine sulfate a couple weeks ago more for prevention than anything else. I’ve been taking 2 caps a day (1,000mg total) to make it last longer (dose is 3 per day). Should I be taking the normal dose for it to be effective, or should 1,000mg work for my purposes?

I take glucosamine chondroition religiously, and I really notice a difference. My brand, Puritan’s Pride, also has some MSN in it. I also get plenty of EPAs and DHAs from fish oil. Green tea extract is also reputed to be an anti-inflammatory. Not sure how validated this is, but I take it along with icing, compression, and massage when my knees are acting up.