T Nation

Will Biking Affect Strength?

So, I have biked to work in the past. I wasn’t hardly training at all at the time.

Since then I’ve worked on almost strength only for 2 years and am getting into strongman and have competed in powerlifting and making steady gains

So from a strength training perspective. If I biked to work 2 or 3 days a week, I may lose weight, thus increasing my wilks but How much strength will be lost in the process?

it’s a 26km ride at about 1 - 1.25 hours, a couple of longer hills then pretty flat.

It seems to be that the biggest issue would be not having energy/strength to complete strength training. If I brought my nutrition to meet the biking needs would I lose strength and mass?

[quote]MurderTrain wrote:
So, I have biked to work in the past. I wasn’t hardly training at all at the time.

Since then I’ve worked on almost strength only for 2 years and am getting into strongman and have competed in powerlifting and making steady gains

So from a strength training perspective. If I biked to work 2 or 3 days a week, I may lose weight, thus increasing my wilks but How much strength will be lost in the process?

it’s a 26km ride at about 1 - 1.25 hours, a couple of longer hills then pretty flat.

It seems to be that the biggest issue would be not having energy/strength to complete strength training. If I brought my nutrition to meet the biking needs would I lose strength and mass?[/quote]

Not a big deal once your body gets adapted. I do hiit before my 2 leg days each week. Strength has been going up

I have a history of both powerlifting and road cycling. Although you may notice an improvement in your high-rep. training; cycling that distance will certainly impact your ‘top-end’ work.

You can’t be YOUR very best at everything at the same time.
You can be both a good husband and a whore monger in your lifetime, but not at the same time.

Just did the math, that’s 16 miles and change. Is that one way or there and back? How hard are you pushing? Is it a comfortable pace or are you blowing it out? Not sure how much weight and strength you’ve gained in the past 2 years, but I wouldn’t expect too much of a drop as long as you’re not currently completely out of shape for everything but the weightroom, and you’ll gain back the little you’ve lost and then some looking and feeling a whole lot better.

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:
I have a history of both powerlifting and road cycling. Although you may notice an improvement in your high-rep. training; cycling that distance will certainly impact your ‘top-end’ work.

You can be both a good husband and a whore monger in your lifetime, but not at the same time. [/quote]

So is powerlifting or bike riding equivalent whore mongering?

I’m also trying to figure out which is the whore mongering.

Basically there are 2 hills, (climbing over a bridge) that’s pretty tough, the rest is flat.

The thing is I don’t want to be the BEST at road cycling. I just want to ride to work. I assume the first few days I’ll have some doms from it. I go for 3-5k runs but everything else is sprint work, sled pulls, farmers, yokes. That kind of thing.

I think the first few days will effect my top end strength more from energy depletion and tired legs rather than catabolism or any such thing.

You can be both a good husband and a whore monger in your lifetime, but not at the same time. [/quote]
I was thinking he was talking about riding to work and not trying to really push the cycling and only 2-3 times a week is hardly enough to affect strength unless these are balls out rides

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:

I was thinking he was talking about riding to work and not trying to really push the cycling and only 2-3 times a week is hardly enough to affect strength unless these are balls out rides[/quote]

It was described as 1 to 1-1/2 hours on a bike with several hills for 16 miles; several times per week. (11-16 m/hr pace) That sounds like at least moderate intensity/endurance to me. IMO…it is the length of the session as much as the effort in this case.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

So is powerlifting or bike riding equivalent whore mongering?[/quote]

That first 8 miles on the bike can be a real ‘bitch’ particularly in the winter; the same can be said for the last 8 during the summer.

[quote]MurderTrain wrote:

It seems to be that the biggest issue would be not having energy/strength to complete strength training. If I brought my nutrition to meet the biking needs would I lose strength and mass?[/quote]

1. Is it 26km one way or round trip?

2. do you have an approximate idea of distance and grade of the “couple of longer hills” you mentioned?

3. What is the smallest gear on your bike? Better yet, count the number of teeth on your smallest front chain ring and the number of teeth on your largest cog (that’s on your rear wheel).

I presume your estimate of “1-1.25 hours” is based on your current level of fitness (which can be improved upon based on your post). If that is the case, you may be able to have your cycling/strong man cake and eat it as well.

I cannot take a stance on which side until I know the answers to the above three questions.