Will Bench Progress on Starting Strength?

Alright everyone thanks for all your help!

Your bench will definitely not increase as fast as your deadlift or squat. However, you’re still young enough that if you’re gaining weight and total body strength it’ll increase. Start off a much lighter than you could, with a load that you could do for 8-10 good reps. Then increase the weight by 5 pounds every time. After a couple weeks you should see some real good improvement in your benching, not to mention a good 10 pounds. If the benching slows, then focus on a week to week progression. If it stalls completely then reset again and work back up.

Starting Strength is a great program. Keep on it as long as that squat and dead keep getting bigger.

[quote]HBergeron wrote:
One final thing. Mark Rippetoe recommends that skinny teenagers drink a gallon of milk a day (GOMAD) when they are doing Starting Strength.
… It is a little extreme though.[/quote]

I don’t think that’s extreme at all.

[quote]sluicy wrote:
HBergeron wrote:
One final thing. Mark Rippetoe recommends that skinny teenagers drink a gallon of milk a day (GOMAD) when they are doing Starting Strength.
… It is a little extreme though.

I don’t think that’s extreme at all. [/quote]

lol. I’ve done it, and it can feel a little extreme at first, especially if you don’t space the milk out throughout the day. But you’re right, it’s not too extreme for a fourteen year old boy to do it.