Will a Belt Help?

I have been living for a couple years now. Last year I got hurt at work and it knocked me out for months. I ripped my groin tossing a box of backribs. I have had a back problem for a while it kind of feels like a disc is out but I love the dead lift. Today I was warming up and it popped my back and now I look like a 80 year-old man walking around. would a belt really help me from continuously injuring my back. I need to get back to my shape and I can’t keep having these set backs. Any input would really help thanks.

[quote]aFatBlackJEDI wrote:
I have been living for a couple years now. Last year I got hurt at work and it knocked me out for months. I ripped my groin tossing a box of backribs. I have had a back problem for a while it kind of feels like a disc is out but I love the dead lift. Today I was warming up and it popped my back and now I look like a 80 year-old man walking around. would a belt really help me from continuously injuring my back. I need to get back to my shape and I can’t keep having these set backs. Any input would really help thanks.[/quote]

Short answer is no, a belt will not keep you from getting injured.

I have had a back problem for a while it kind of feels like a disc is out but I love the dead lift. Today I was warming up and it popped my back and now I look like a 80 year-old man walking around. [/quote]

Might want to get that checked out my man.

That’s disappointing. I hate when this happens and I was hoping that it would help limit the possibility of it happening frequently. I don’t have health insurance so I can’t go get it checked out. I guess some r&r and get back slow it will be.

how do you intend to rehab it?

[quote]Yogi wrote:
how do you intend to rehab it?[/quote]
I will wait till it starts to feel better and have to use some light weights and higher rep sets to strengthen it. Add in one good mornings and just try to get a solid base around it

[quote]Yogi wrote:
I will wait till it starts to feel better and have to use some light weights and higher rep sets to strengthen it. Add in one good mornings and just try to get a solid base around it [/quote]

You should try doing some glute activation work, band walks, lateral leg raises, glute bridges, back extensions.

[quote]nkklllll wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:
I will wait till it starts to feel better and have to use some light weights and higher rep sets to strengthen it. Add in one good mornings and just try to get a solid base around it [/quote]

You should try doing some glute activation work, band walks, lateral leg raises, glute bridges, back extensions.[/quote]
As part of warm ups?

As rehab before you get back to doing deadlifts and good mornings. There is obviously some disfunction in you performance of these lifts somehow, doing them for rehab will not help correct the problem.

I disagree about the back extensions. I would just do glute and core stuff.

I mean . . . back extensions are a pretty awesome glute and hamstring exercise.

[quote]nkklllll wrote:
I mean . . . back extensions are a pretty awesome glute and hamstring exercise.[/quote]

I agree that they are in theory, but most people just turn them into a workout for the erectors, and considering most with back problems have tight erectors and sleepy glutes, I’d leave them out just in case.

That’s been my experience, anyway. Personally I would leave them out but I guess they’d probably work in some situations.

Some good advice in the posts above.

Injuries suck and you need to work with them in your training. I have herniated my L5-S1 twice within a year apart. NOT FUN

You need to work your core like a bastard and reprogram your body.

Examples - I used to squat on my heels, I now squat with the middle of my foot, which changes my motor recruitment pattern (which muscles activate first).
I do core work like dead bug, super man, plank, side plank EVERY DAY. If I slack off my back starts to hurt again. I now do core work first in my workout instead of last.
I can not (at this moment, but progressing) deadlift from the floor, it compromises my back. I now deadlift of the first pin my power rack and change my form to a more “squat” style of deadlifting.

Also as mentioned above;to do glute work.

Realize it may be a long road or depending on your injury you may have to change things like I did in your exercises and workout program.

Good luck brother