Wife's Blood Test Results

Wife went in for blood work a few months ago and her TSH came back pretty high (4.7 mcU/mL). They did additional work and the following was found:

T3 total 84 ng/dL (104-260)
Free T4 1.00 ng/dL (0.7-1.9)

They did not test for TBG. Her doctor told her that these levels are “normal.”

She has an extremely tough time getting lean, could this be why? Is there anything else they should be looking for?

If I left something out, please let me know.

Thanks to all who respond.

See that, this is exactly why I didn’t respond… I was waiting to learn the answer myself.
Thanks BBB… Applause!

Thanks for the response BBB. I also should have mentioned that my father in law and his mother are also hypo and take meds for it (not sure what but I’ll find out).

Thank you for also giving a natural option, as I’m not sure she’s mentally ready for life-long hormone replacement. She will probably try that first and see what her blood work looks like. How long should this take to normalize things?

Avoiding salt?

Sea salt does not have iodine.
Kosher salt does not have iodine.

This condition can easily cause problems with weight, but for some women, this would not be the only cause. She can easily have low progesterone levels and estrogen dominance. You can get OTC 2% progesterone cream. Some women find that applying at bed time helps sleeping. But a few spontaneously convert some to cortisol and that causes sleep problems, so some need different schedules.

Have you both read about symptoms of hypothyroidism? Feeling cold easily and having low body temps when waking up are classic.

If she can get some thyroid meds to try out, she will know what her next step will be.

[quote]KSman wrote:
This condition can easily cause problems with weight, but for some women, this would not be the only cause. She can easily have low progesterone levels and estrogen dominance. You can get OTC 2% progesterone cream. Some women find that applying at bed time helps sleeping. But a few spontaneously convert some to cortisol and that causes sleep problems, so some need different schedules.

Have you both read about symptoms of hypothyroidism? Feeling cold easily and having low body temps when waking up are classic.

If she can get some thyroid meds to try out, she will know what her next step will be. [/quote]

She does feel cold easily, but she is also a woman. I thought they were all like that. Unsure of body temp when waking, but since the blood work is done, that seems irrelevant since T3 is low and T4 is low-normal with high TSH.

I would not be surprised if she is estrogen dominant, because she stores literally ALL of her fat in her butt, thighs, and boobs. I have suggested that she see an endocrinologist because she is currently going through her PCP. I would think an endo should be able to perform better analysis of her blood work results.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:
How long should this take to normalize things?[/quote]

Hard to say because if there is a deeper cause (eg. gut inflammation) preventing absorbtion of the necessary substrates for thyroid hormone production, then just addig more substrate wo’t necessariliy help much.

So I would suggest a 6 week elimination diet (get rid of gluten, dairy, anything artificial, minimise use of stims/caffine, etc)), plus 8g glutamine (to aid gut health) ED.

This should help in a few ways. Firstly she will lose weight/fat and gain energy and focus. She will have better sleep patterns and be more awake during the day.

Most important of all, she will have a markedly healthier gut, enabling proper digestion and absorbtion of vitamins etc. It may be possible to bring her thyroid (and other hormoes, to a degree) back into her previously healthy range, not just some doctors ‘acceptible healthy’ range, even without the iodine supps.

If you want to know more, read the ultramind solution. I’m doing my own bastardised version (tailored towards athletes and bodybuilders) and it’s fantastic. I am leaner than I have been in maybe 5 years, yet with plenty of motivation and energy to train. I’m no longer sluggish and tired during the day and unable to sleep restfully at night. In fact the only downside so far is that I’m a little constipated, but then these things can take time to re-establish a natural balance.

Good luck!

BBB[/quote]

It’s funny you say that, because she does have a chronic stomach problem, which is why the blood work was done in the first place.

I will check it out. Thanks again for the help.

BBB: iodine - thyroid connection, as you suggested earlier. Some are not getting iodine with their use of salt.

Estrogen Dominance: Docs will prescribe progestins which are a dangerous bunch. I think that every woman needs progesterone, the real thing, as she ages as all women have a decline in progesterone levels starting around 35 year of age. In the USA, 2% progesterone cream is OTC and there is no reason to not use it. There is also 2% OTC estriol cream too. Definitely avoid birth control pills because of the progestins. Doc will want to prescribe high progestin birth control.

Estrogen Dominance can lead to cysts on ovaries and enlargement of the uterus, which may be simple thickening of the lining of the uterus, but can also involve fibroids; as well as painful breasts and PMS. I have seen progesterone cream resolve these problems.

Progestins can cause constant spotting/bleeding. Progestins can resolve some of the above issues, but progestins do not provide the cardio-protective effects of progesterone and that is why birth control pills come with a warning about increased risks for strokes and heart attacks. Progesterone has very low oral nonavailability. Progestins are an attempt to make a water soluble progesterone. But there is something about how progestins affect gene expression that create cardio risk problems.

I think BBB is saying that you SHOULD use Iodine ENRICHED Salts.

And BBB I am inetersted in hearing about this program. I have some gut issues that mainly just cause a lot of discomfort, don’t mean to thread jack, but PM me or start a new thread if you would.

Thanks