Wife Witnessed A Crime

She’s got nothing to worry about.

I didn’t read every reply, but if your friend hasn’t done so already, have him file a complaint with the PD. I don’t know how it is down there, but in NY the NYPD has a specific unit that has to investigate every citizen complaint.

to get back to the unmarked car thing, i think that should be illegal. they do say that you are allowed to inform the officer that you are not comfortable exiting said vehicle and call 911 and they will either identify the guy as an officer or send a marked car there as well, which i think is pretty reasonable. But from everything ive heard, cops do not take well to this, which then causes more problems.

personally itd be a crapshoot if i got out or not. It would depend a lot on time of day, people around, is it an “unmarked car” with proper lighting etc, which i know still can be very easily done by anyone who wants to, or does it appear to be a personal car. i can firmly state that under no circumstance would i exit my vehicle if it looked to me like a personal vehicle, way too many scenarios that can go badly there. as for an “unmarked car” that i personally believed to be an actual cop, maybe if it werent dark or in the middle of nowhere.

I think they are taking this way too far with the unmarked cars. as someone stated above, I also saw a car pulled over by an unmarked minivan not too long ago, all i could do was laugh and think is this real??

[quote]Mick28 wrote:
sad day when you have to fear the police[/quote]
Then we’ve had a few decades of bad days.

Good Luck bro! Thanks to Houston,I have a (un)healthy fear of Cops.

[quote]DJHT wrote:
^ Wife said it was cops personal vehicle, no lights or anything remotly cop like. Guy was not even carrying a gun only had a hand held radio. At first she actually thought it was a NASA security off duty, due to the fact it was right outside NASA. [/quote]

That sets off red flags right there. If a completely unmarked car pulled up in front of me and blocked the road, I’d drive around it. What if someone got of the vehicle with a handgun pointed at you? No sirens, no lights, no badge, Fuck that guy. If something like this happened that really damaged my life, like, caused me to lose my job, I would stalk the fucker and make his life horrible.

civil suit FTW

Once again proving cops are worse then the criminals.

Speaking to the wife last night, they also refused to get him medical care. His wife had to take him to the ER when she finally got him bailed out late yesterday evening.

After seeing the video linked early on here, Harris county has multiple civil and criminal law suits against county deputies. I told the wife to send that link to our friends and my advise was to contact those lawyers already involved. Piggy back onto an already existing case. Maybe that will also lesson the repercussions on everybody involved.

[quote]DJHT wrote:
^ So you think my wife should contact our personal attorney? or wait to hear from our friends attorney to find out what my wife will need to do. [/quote]

She should of course get her own who acts in her interest.
Your friends lawyer will act in your friends interest.

Aside from that, don t let your friend alone in the rain. You should definetely tell the truth.

Like other have said -

make sure your friend has a lawyer willing to prosecute this assault. I would sue the FUCK out of that cop IF it went down the way you said.

Fucking pathetic. Several have posted that your wife’s testimony won’t make a difference. I wouldn’t even pay attention to that.

You mentioned you were worried about being harassed - I can’t even imagine how/why they would harass or intimidate you as it would add fuel to the fire.

Fuck this noise - I hope your friend gets rich.

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]TommyGunz32 wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]TommyGunz32 wrote:
She should just tell the truth

It wont matter though, Rules/Laws simply do not apply to cops

Is it right? No, its just the way it is.

Sorry your wife had to see that.

Hope your friend the best, its prolly best not to even fight it maybe try to settle out of court.[/quote]

Okay but what if a convection will cost him his lively hood? I would lose my license to practice medicine with that type of convection. I do not know exactly what he does, something with the port authority. Would you just roll over and take it?

This is not fantasy life we are talking about. [/quote]

I mean I don’t know the entire situation so I can’t comment specifically.

Generally, if he didn’t do anything too malicious they will allow you to plead guilty to a lesser charge (hopefully misdemeanor) just to move the case along and avoid unnecessary court time. He should definitely lawyer up.

Just seems to me trying to fight he said she said with two cops as witnesses is going to be throwing money/time/stress at a lost cause.

What exactly is he being charged with?
[/quote]

My wife was the person to notify his wife about what happened. He is still in jail and has been charged with assault on an officer and resisting arrest. HE DID NOT do anything. He was sitting in his car, how do you assault someone standing outside your car window? This event happened in a few seconds, she of course could not hear what was being said. However what the hell could he have said to make a cop suddenly start punching him in the face? [/quote]

Standard Operating Procedure to throw an Assault on an Officer and Resisting charge on someone whose ass they just kicked. Think about it; what else can they say? “I kicked his ass because…he was minding his own business?”

I forgot one VERY IMPORTANT THING.

Go back to the area he was stopped and determine if there is any surrounding bank, ATM, business, ANYTHING, that might have a surveillance camera trained in that direction. If so, have his lawyer immediately serve notice and take whatever measures necessary to preserve the tape from that day and time - unless of course he’s guilty, in which case you’ll want to bribe someone for the tape and destroy it :slight_smile: Just saying…

And another thing…did your wife notice any other witnesses passing by or sitting in their cars?

^ Yes she did, however I do not think she will be able to witness to make, model etc. She was pretty much glued in on the assault, kind of one of those things where you are not believing what you are seeing.

Good idea about the survelience cameras, I bet NASA has some. My father in law actually was a security for NASA for 20 years, he just retired from there in November of 2009. Have to remember to ask him.

Not to derail this thread, but I have a related question for some of you guys.

Given that you find yourself in the same situation that DJHT’s friend ended up in, would you have retaliated on the spot while the “officer” was assaulting you as you sat in your car (assuming you truly had no means for positively identifying the assailant as an officer of the law)?

^ I’ve learned not to put the window all the way down, even for a cop.

Unless you can get the door open easily, the way I see it the person in the car is at a major disadvantage. Unless you have a gun, of course.

[quote]Tex Ag wrote:
^ I’ve learned not to put the window all the way down, even for a cop.

Unless you can get the door open easily, the way I see it the person in the car is at a major disadvantage. Unless you have a gun, of course.[/quote]

Yeah, I think my first reactions would be to duck and shove open the door hard into him.

[quote]on edge wrote:

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:
Cops should not be allowed to pull people over in unmarked vehicles, regardless of the situation.[/quote]

In my town half the cops are now driving unmarked vehicles. I see people pulled over by minivans now. They do have the lights inside.[/quote]

call 911 and ask the dispatcher if the cop is legit, have done it before.

The situation sucks, I can’t make my recommendations in a tangible form though.