T Nation

Wife Wants to Get Big, but w/ a Trainer

My wife can’t stand trying to learn from me, so she’s in search of a trainer. How do I find a trainer that will be good for her in Utah. Price is a non-issue.

Well golly gee. If price is a non-issue then you’re set. I knew I found my gym when I walked in and told them I was a dancer and he listed off 20 questions about my joints, past injuries, whether I was a turner or a jumper, balance and power. When people know what they’re talking about, it makes me happy in my panties.

I just did a google search for Utah Gyms. This is a page full of them: http://www.usgyms.net/utah.htm

Pick one. Important criteria: proximity to either house or work, and decent equipment. Interview some trainers. Find someone who your wife is comfortable with, but who also knows shit. Ask them how they would go about helping her reach her goals. Listen to what they’re saying. Ask what their certification is.

Though there are good trainers from all walks, I would ask where they got their certification from (CSCS is something nice to hear) and where they got their BSc (some don’t have them, it’s not required, but CSCS does require it for certification).

Bonus points go to a gym with the cool shit we talk about here: prowler, kettlebells, tire/sledgehammer, foam rollers. If you see someone doing bicep curls in the squat rack then walk away. If it’s one of the staff members, run.

Happy hunting.

[quote]BeefyBoy wrote:
My wife can’t stand trying to learn from me, so she’s in search of a trainer. How do I find a trainer that will be good for her in Utah. Price is a non-issue.[/quote]

When you say she “wants to get big”, what exactly does that mean? What’s her training experience: never trained before, just started training, was in shape but hasn’t trained in a while, in good shape looking to turn it up a notch, etc.?

Does she have exact goals? Do female (natural) bodybuilders or figure competitors inspire her?

Like Actionbabe suggested, make sure she talks to the trainer first (not sure if she’d be comfortable with you doing the talking for her") and be sure you ask to see before/afters of previous clients.

I’d place more of an emphasis on seeing/talking to past clients than I would on the trainer’s certifications. There are CSCS’s that get crap results and uncertified trainers that get great results, with no guaranteed correlation between education and experience.

In any case, I think Jen Heath is based in Utah. She might be worth tracking down, but I don’t know if she does in-person training. Find out if your wife is looking for a trainer to be in the gym with her, guiding her through each workout, or if she’ll be able to put herself through a program designed by someone who knows what they’re doing.

If it’s the former, it’ll require more footwork to make sure you get a quality coach, not some Average Joe trainer. If it’s the latter and money really is no object (you Humble Harry, you) it’s as easy as contacting almost any contributor here for consulting.

Oooh what he said, about the clients thing.

Also, tell your wife to keep her eye open when she goes gym shopping. If she sees a woman in there who looks the way she wants to look - that would be a good person to talk to.

[quote]BeefyBoy wrote:
My wife can’t stand trying to learn from me, so she’s in search of a trainer. How do I find a trainer that will be good for her in Utah. Price is a non-issue.[/quote]

A bit on the psychological side here, but be supportive of her and don’t bitch about her not wanting to learn from you. She, as most people do in some area of their life, suffers from “proximity bias” and that is why she doesn’t want to listen to you.

So, good on you for trying to find a coach/gym who knows their stuff. But also make sure you’re not bitching, subtly or otherwise, about her not listening to you. It will make things better in the long run I think. Proximity bias can be fought but only very carefully and supportively.

[quote]BeefyBoy wrote:
Wife Wants to Get Big[/quote]

[quote]BeefyBoy wrote:
My wife can’t stand trying to learn from me, so she’s in search of a trainer.[/quote]

What are you doing?

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
BeefyBoy wrote:

When you say she “wants to get big”, what exactly does that mean?[/quote]

Buy her cheesecake and doughnuts and chocolate cakes.

On the serious side, I don’t trust trainers. I see them all the time usually with females or old people doing stupid stuff. There might be good ones out there. I just haven’t seen them.