T Nation

Wife is Sleepy After a Workout

My wife is complaining of being completely wiped out after a workout. Says that she is not just tired but sleepy. Complains of being unmotivated and just wanting to sleep all the time. We have suffered a tramatic loss of a child in Febuary, could this be depression?

First and foremost, seek medical assistance.
It could be a depression, could be some deficit in her bloodwork,...
Most people aren't doctors here, so I suggest you see one.

I agree. She has seen her regular Dr and the gyno and they both did basic blood work. She is 39 years old so the hormonal thing was my first thought. She works out in the morning on an empty stomach, so I'm gonna have her eat a little something before her workout thinking that maybe she is having a blood sugar drop.

Well, major depressive disorder (MDD) is a mental disorder characterized by a pervasive and persistent low mood which is accompanied by low self-esteem and by a loss of interest or pleasure in normally enjoyable activities.

MDD is not the first thing that comes to mind when someone "just" feels exhausted. Perhaps it's her diet, something with her thyroid, or even the onset of type 2 diabetes....

Can't tell you how sorry I am to hear that, man. All the best to you both.

My first instinct, since it sounds like it's mostly noticeable after a workout, was some kind of blood sugar thing like you mentioned. Having a basic protein and carb shake during training would be the first step to work on that. It should also cut down on soreness in general, so double bonus.

If the bloodwork from all the docs came back fine, I wouldn't think it's anything major. Exercise usually has anti-depressant effects (endorphins and all that good stuff), so unless she's having the same symptoms seven days a week whether she trains or not, I'd lean towards thinking it's something training-related that can, hopefully, be corrected inside of a week or two. Obviously though, I'm not a doctor, I'm just a knucklehead who tells people how to workout.

Other than that, maybe re-examine her program and diet. If her calories are too low or if the training volume and/or intensity is too high, she could be due for a cheat day, an increase in total calories, a deload, or a change in overall routine.

I feel like i had the same problem when i was preping for my first (and only so far) comp, in the last 3 weeks pre comp i was really low on calories and after my workouts i didnt know what to do with myself, i couldnt be around people and i just wanted to sleep although i couldnt actully get to sleep. I belive it was due to a few things. The cal defect is the main thing. Make sure she is eating enough and possibly something during her workouts, I would go as far to suggest a dextrose based drink during the last 10 minutes of the workout/immediatly after, that helped me alot but im sure there are better ways. And another thing for me was my caffine intake before my workouts was to high and it turned out to just be a major crash.

Sorry to hear about your loss
Hopefully some of this helps

Thanks for the replies. I am off from work next week so I'm gonna go workout with her and try to see first hand what's going on. We try to have a post workout recovery shake and I suggested that she start on it while she's working out rather than after. I'll report back .
Thanks again.

its possible she is overtrainning, especially if she dosent get 8 full hrs a night,this is from my experience ,usually when i work out 6-7 days without a day or 2 off .

It might be a sugar crash. I might be wrong but if she gets a coffee with sugar it boosts but each wave comes with an up side and a down side. Training without eating is OK by itself but i would suggest she drinks a cup or 2 of water with some fresh squeezed lemon juice(not a concentrate nor a limonade) when she gets up(about half a lemon for 2 cups). Also doing about 30% less for a week per work out is an option worth trying.
All the best to both of you !