T Nation

Width Specialization

[quote]kerplunk wrote:

[quote]hungry4more wrote:

[quote]kjmont wrote:

[quote]kerplunk wrote:
some people make this shit WAY too complicated.[/quote]

I wasn’t trying to make it complicated. I said the standard IBB setup, how is that complicated.[/quote]

Standard I,BODYBUILDER setup is rather complicated by default…[/quote]
^this

I think some of these programs are written by people who just are forced/expected to come up with the next big thing/program.

but whatever gets you through the day I suppose… thats just me.[/quote]

Idk i just find it works. but i see your point…just saying i didnt throw in terms to make myself seem smart

hungryfomo, why not go all the way to the bottom on a pull-up? I try to get a stretch.

[quote]kjmont wrote:

[quote]kerplunk wrote:

I wasn’t trying to make it complicated. I said the standard IBB setup, how is that complicated.[/quote]

CT’s training protocols are complicated by default.

Rack Pulls
Deadlifts
Pullups
Upright Rows (too many just rely on laterals for the medial delt)
CABLE Lateral raises (park the ego)

[quote]jo3 wrote:

[quote]kjmont wrote:

[quote]kerplunk wrote:

CT’s training protocols are complicated by default.[/quote]

Complicated sells. Simplicity does not.

Alan

[quote]kjmont wrote:
I’d say do the back phase on IBB, but also read Dr. Clay’s article “Builder a Bodybuilder Back” and substitute workouts in. Ex:
Current IBB
Day 1 - Rack Pulls + Deadlifts + Medium-Grip Pull-Ups + Cable Rows
Day 3 - Rack Pulls + Barbell Rows + deadlifts + medium-grip pull-ups + cable rows
Day 5 - Power cleans from hang & db rows + med. ball slams & pulldowns

Possible Width Spec.
Day 1 - Rack Pulls + Medium-Grip Pull-Ups + V-Bar Pulldowns or Nuetral grip Pull-Ups (this is just a personal thing, i can really feel my lats) + Cable Rows
Day 3 - Rack Pulls + V-Bar Pulldowns/Nuetral-Grip Pull-Ups + Deadlifts + Cable Rows + Medium-Grip Pull-Ups
Day 5 - Med. Ball Slams & Pulldowns Or V-Bar Pulldowns + Power Cleans from Hang & DB rows

This is just how id do it, im not saying this is 100% the right way to do it.[/quote]

No offense, but don’t bastardize programs. Coaches set up and pick the exercises they do for a reason. If you want to follow said program, great. Otherwise make up your own.

[quote]spenserd wrote:

[quote]kjmont wrote:
I’d say do the back phase on IBB, but also read Dr. Clay’s article “Builder a Bodybuilder Back” and substitute workouts in. Ex:
Current IBB
Day 1 - Rack Pulls + Deadlifts + Medium-Grip Pull-Ups + Cable Rows
Day 3 - Rack Pulls + Barbell Rows + deadlifts + medium-grip pull-ups + cable rows
Day 5 - Power cleans from hang & db rows + med. ball slams & pulldowns

Possible Width Spec.
Day 1 - Rack Pulls + Medium-Grip Pull-Ups + V-Bar Pulldowns or Nuetral grip Pull-Ups (this is just a personal thing, i can really feel my lats) + Cable Rows
Day 3 - Rack Pulls + V-Bar Pulldowns/Nuetral-Grip Pull-Ups + Deadlifts + Cable Rows + Medium-Grip Pull-Ups
Day 5 - Med. Ball Slams & Pulldowns Or V-Bar Pulldowns + Power Cleans from Hang & DB rows

This is just how id do it, im not saying this is 100% the right way to do it.[/quote]

No offense, but don’t bastardize programs. Coaches set up and pick the exercises they do for a reason. If you want to follow said program, great. Otherwise make up your own.

[/quote]
I wasn’t trying to bastardize the program, its a great program, but its directed slightly more towards thickness than width. And i was trying to say that just by switching a few exercises you won’t entirely disrespect it and you’ll get the width you want.

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
hungryfomo, why not go all the way to the bottom on a pull-up? I try to get a stretch.[/quote]

Your lats are pretty relaxed at the bottom of the movement. Stretched, but relaxed. This is bad imo. I do them pretty much how Matt Kroc does in this vid:

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
hungryfomo, why not go all the way to the bottom on a pull-up? I try to get a stretch.[/quote]

Your lats are pretty relaxed at the bottom of the movement. Stretched, but relaxed. This is bad imo. I do them pretty much how Matt Kroc does in this vid:

so you would say Kroc in that video is not going all the way down?
I am assuming your define all they way down as shoulder blades fully extended?
I am saying this b/c most people at the gym believes top 10% is Full rom.
Btw, I do it like Kroc.

[quote]ghdtpdna wrote:

so you would say Kroc in that video is not going all the way down?
I am assuming your define all they way down as shoulder blades fully extended?
I am saying this b/c most people at the gym believes top 10% is Full rom.
Btw, I do it like Kroc.
[/quote]

Lol, maybe my point of view is a bit skewed, being so used to Marine pullups. Anyways, no, maybe like 3-5 of his reps go far down enough for marine corps standards. How far down he goes is how far I like to go for pronated pullups. For chinups, supinated hands, I generally do the same thing to keep tension on biceps. Usually I only “lock out” at the bottom when doing pullups for a PFT, cuz I have to obviously lol.