Widowmaker Circuit

I’m finishing up Pervertor on Monday and have spent too long deciding where to go next. I’ve been toying with a higher frequency program short term as a change of pace, but also looking at: Building the Monolith, Coffinworm, and Wendler Classic.

Something just wasn’t clicking with any program I was considering, and I went back to the Forever book and was leafing through and found just what I was looking for: Widowmaker Circuit. It has PR’s, widowmakers (duh), and a cool bodyweight circuit as assistance. Everything that are may favorites. Also, with prescribed assistance, I won’t have a chance to sabotage it by trying to throw in too much volume.

Anyone else try this?

2 Likes

I haven’t, but looking forward to your review :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually going to give Pervertor a run myself after this Anchor cycle.

1 Like

I have a couple of questions on the logistics, after running it for one week.

Summary: The protocol is for a PR set, a widowmaker, and then a pretty challenging circuit (weighted pull ups, weighted dips, and KB cleans; with some options for variety).

Question 1: a PR set followed by a Widowmaker is brutal, especially for squats and DL’s. Is it okay to do the PR set, then the circuit, and finish the workout with the widowmaker?

So:
531 with PR
5 rounds of circuit training
Widowmaker

Instead of:
531 with PR
Widowmaker
5 rounds of circuit training

Question 2: Should you always do the Widowmaker at the FSL weight for a given week? Or hold it at a certain % throughout an entire cycle? I ask because even using an 85% TM, I can’t quite get to 20 reps using FSL weight on the lightest “5’s” week. I can reach between 14-16 depending on the lift. So, when I move to the 3’s and then the 1’s, those numbers will go down even more. Should I stick with the same weight for the Widowmaker until I can at least hit 20 with it, or keep waving it up as I move through the 5, 3, 1 weeks? (hope that’s clear).

Thanks!

Hey sorry to play necromancer here, but 2 quick questions about the circuits. I can do a set of 12 chin-ups, but that’s a max set so I probably shouldn’t include them in the circuits. Think there’s any harm in super-setting sets of 5-7 with the main work on Bench/Press days and using inverted rows in the circuits?

Also, did you ever include any isolation-y movements in your circuits? I always felt like I got a lot out of doing plate raises, curls, and calf work; but, it looks like only compound movements are encouraged in the book. Thoughts there as well?

Holy shit this was brutal. One of the most intense workouts I’ve ever done in my life. This is a very overlooked program. Every rep felt valuable. No wasted time

Agree. I’ve run several 531 programs, including the full 17 weeks of Krypteia, Building the Monolith, Building a Bigger Yoke, Pervorter, and several BBB variants. I find this workout the most challenging and it’s not particularly close. If you’re in good shape, the others are challenging but quite doable. But the back-to-back PR sets at the heaviest weight followed by the FSL weight followed by a challenging 5 round circuit takes the cake.