Widening Grip For Bench Press

Hi, I’ve been playing around with different grips for the bench press and I’ve found that I don’t have a specific preference for any particular gripping. I do find that the range of motion is significantly shortened when I put my pinkies on the furthest ring, I do however experience some stress on my wrist. Would it be wise for me to try to adopt to the wider grip and just strap on some wrist wraps to remedy the stress on my wrists? I’m currently using a standard bench press grip, not too far and not too close. I started off benching using a fairly narrow grip.

Play around with different widths and setups, big arch, moderate so on…There is no one right way to bench for everyone. I have always felt strongest with a close grip but I still train with a wider grip also.

I would add that whatever grip you choose as your competition grip, still mix in both wider and narrower as accessory movements, as it will make your comp grip stronger.

My pointer fingers are on the rings, like above have said, no best way to bench, just a best way for you. I can only push like 330 though, which is my body weight, so meh

Go with what works for you. I get best results with the widest grip legally possible but it did hurt my wrists a bit at first. Tight wraps help, and so does time. Your wrists will adapt.

I have recently switched my bench grip to wider because I was over-tucking the elbows and the bar was behind my elbows which started causing me arm pain. Powerlifting says tuck the elbows, but there IS a thing as too much tucking so I have to focus on flaring now mostly. It feels like my elbows are out at 90 degrees, but they’re actually at 45.

I would recommend you grip it where the bar ends up being directly over your elbows when the bar is on the chest, on the top sternum. My bench is a lot more solid now and no pain.

[quote]Benanything wrote:
Hi, I’ve been playing around with different grips for the bench press and I’ve found that I don’t have a specific preference for any particular gripping. I do find that the range of motion is significantly shortened when I put my pinkies on the furthest ring, I do however experience some stress on my wrist. Would it be wise for me to try to adopt to the wider grip and just strap on some wrist wraps to remedy the stress on my wrists? I’m currently using a standard bench press grip, not too far and not too close. I started off benching using a fairly narrow grip.[/quote]

I agree with Parker. Play around and find something that works for you. Wide, but not too wide to kill your leverage. Depending on your build, height and arm length too.
Unfortunately, not everyone can be 5’7 with a 60in chest.