Wide vs. Narrow Dips

[quote]forlife wrote:
Being short rocks :P[/quote]

Whatever helps you sleep at night. :wink:

[quote]matko5 wrote:
thorax wrote:
I can’t do wide dips at the gym, so I sometimes do them at the garage, between to desk (the grip changes cause I have to grab the edges of the desks). Its harder and hits the pecs nicely but it feels strange with my shoulders and kind of kills my wrists.

Hey, I tried dipping last night on my friends fence. Well, not on his fence, but on conrete colums about 5 feet of the ground, my grip was like yours strange and wide, but my shoulders were better than on dipping station in the gym.[/quote]

The pain I get is different from the ‘typical’ shoulder pain. It’s more in the front delt. I think it’s connected with the different wrist position. I’d have to give the exercise a try for several times to see if it’s serious or only a matter of adaptation.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

Wide is relative, though. Since you’re short, those are wide grip dips for you.

I can’t do wide grip dips, period. The station simply doesn’t go wide enough because my arms are so damn long. I’ve never felt dips in my chest. At all.[/quote]

I have a solution for you.
I know what you’re talking about, I’m 6-4. When I want to do wide grip dips, I do them in the power rack. What you do is: put the safty pins a little above waist height, then put 2 barbells on the safty pins. Make sure 1 barbell is against the front of the rack, the other is against the back of the rack. Distance between the barbells is 30in, so grip width is the same as benching index on rings. Grab the barbells in the middle, one hand on each, pick your feet up, and do some dips! Do you get what I’m describing?

the best dipping station is located at my grandma’s balcony, in a corner
 hell, it literally destroys my chest, and easier on my shoulders than the parallel bar grip

[quote]nate dawg wrote:
LankyMofo wrote:

I can’t do wide grip dips, period. The station simply doesn’t go wide enough because my arms are so damn long. I’ve never felt dips in my chest. At all.

I know what you’re talking about, I’m 6-4. When I want to do wide grip dips, I do them in the power rack. What you do is: put the safty pins a little above waist height, then put 2 barbells on the safty pins. Make sure 1 barbell is against the front of the rack, the other is against the back of the rack. Distance between the barbells is 30in, so grip width is the same as benching index on rings. Grab the barbells in the middle, one hand on each, pick your feet up, and do some dips! Do you get what I’m describing?[/quote]

So you’ll need 2 barbells and 4 safety pins, right?

[quote]Westclock wrote:
forlife wrote:
I saw something weird in the gym this morning. A guy was doing wide dips, but was facing away from the station rather than toward it. Has anyone tried this?

For people that do narrow dips, are you facing the station or away from it?

It doesn’t matter, its the same thing unless the station leans.[/quote]

With the dip station I use the handles are not quite parallel, they flare out a little so if you face the station your hands are slightly pronated. I recently tried facing away from the station, with hands slightly supinated, and it seems a little more comfortable. I’ve been wondering which way you’re “supposed” to do it (presumably however you want) and what effect it has.

Ok, now I understand why he said it doesn’t matter
my dip station is the same as yours, with the wide part flaring out and the narrow part flaring in. On that type of station, it is a different lift depending on whether you face the station or away from it.

flaring out and the narrow part flaring in. On that type of station, it is a different lift depending on whether you face the station or away from it.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
nate dawg wrote:
LankyMofo wrote:

I can’t do wide grip dips, period. The station simply doesn’t go wide enough because my arms are so damn long. I’ve never felt dips in my chest. At all.

I know what you’re talking about, I’m 6-4. When I want to do wide grip dips, I do them in the power rack. What you do is: put the safty pins a little above waist height, then put 2 barbells on the safty pins. Make sure 1 barbell is against the front of the rack, the other is against the back of the rack. Distance between the barbells is 30in, so grip width is the same as benching index on rings. Grab the barbells in the middle, one hand on each, pick your feet up, and do some dips! Do you get what I’m describing?

So you’ll need 2 barbells and 4 safety pins, right?[/quote]

No, 2 barbells and 2 safety pins. Or I guess you could use 2 barbells and 4 j-hooks.

With my set-up, the safety pins are holding the barbells up, and you’re using the barbells as dip bars. When you do dips like this, you’re inside the rack, facing towards the side of the rack. The grip width is the distance from the front of the rack to the back of the rack. When you’re doing dips, 1 safety pin is in front of you, the other is behind you, and you have a barbell on each side of you. The 2 bars and 2 pins form a rectangle. You have to duck under the bars to get in and out of the rack. Do you understand what I’m saying better?