Wide vs Close Stance Squats

[quote]nolecat wrote:
I know that virtually every powerlifter practices wide(and I mean wide) stance squats. I am trying to make a transition to a wide stance, but I just don’t feel like I have any exposive strength out of the hole. My medium/closer stance enables me to move much more weight. Should I still try the wide leg style or just stick with what works?[/quote]

Considering this question and only this question, I would say work heavily on your posterior chain strength. Not every powerlifter uses it but I see you are not asking for a debate on that. If you are determined to made the transition than your posterior chain must be your focus. Some earlier posters told you the exercises for that so I won’t rehash. Your last question only you can answer. If you want to put in the time to make the transition then go to a wide stance. If you don’t, then stay with what you know.

I don’t see a debate coming out of this question. He didn’t ask the benefits of each or for a comparison.

I do see a bunch of big internet swinging dicks trying to espouse their opinion on this when it was not warranted. IMO.

[quote]apwsearch wrote:
maraudermeat wrote:
Hanley wrote:
The sit back wide stance is their method of choice because it allows them to get the most out of their gear.

I’ve been reading through this thread and this, in my opinion, is why the wide stance is used mostly in powerlifting. I know that if I put on a squat suit, I put up the most weight with a wide stance and really sit back as I go down. Now if I go raw, I have to bring the stance in and squat more down than out to put up big weight.

If you are wearing gear- go wide, if not, a more narrow stance is beneficial.

my opinion,
meat

If only it were that simple.

It may be simple… but it works for me. I think many people over analyze things. I lift big weights with a very simple westside template. no bands or chains, just straight weight. you can sit and debate back and forth anything. Bottom line- find what works for you. That’s why I always preface my answers with “it’s my opinion”.

meat

[quote]Rock2324 wrote:
A different question but on the same subject. Taking into consideration that the exercise is done with good form, is there any long term damage to the knees due to wide stance squatting? Someone in my gym had told me this but I think they are full of S%^$ and want to make people believe that they know more than they actually do. You know the squat rack curl type.

Rock[/quote]
To the knees- hell no. Actually, that is why I went to a wide stance to begin with- before I got interested in powerlifting and lifting in gear. I was having a lot of knee pain squatting shoulder width.

Unless you have a problem with your knees buckling inward, which can usually be addressed by simply pointing your toes out, wide stance is typically easier on the knees than narrow. However wide stance can be tough on your groin. Briefs help, but your are simply doing more work with the muscles that attach in the groin area when you squat wide.

i dont really have a problem with what most of you are saying…but if you only olympic squat without doing the olympic movements and their variations you will not develop your posterior chain correctly…and will eventually be injured…

most people need to improve their posterior chain strength to even get in the proper olympic squat posistion…

if you do decide to squat close…make sure you use proper form…i advise you to watch top olympic lifters squat…and do posterior chain work whether it be olympic lifts or other special exercises…but it must be done or their will be a quad imbalance

It depends on the persons body. One of the only aspects that is good about a powerlifting squat is that it is easier. Just like a leg press is easier. Wide stance squats are the leg presses of squats because you dont move as far and you can load more weight on the bar. There I said it. Any other application and it is a good tool too switch up at best.

Hanley’s right. Watch the videos of the IPA vs. IPF. The gear is different. Supportive gear helps you more out of the bottom. I would encourage you to squat however you feel comfortable with while hitting legal depth. I myself use a medium close stance. I used to squat wide, but found this stance much stronger. Of course you will find some people who can squat wide due to different limb lengths, muscle strengths, etc.

beef

[quote]TTewell342 wrote:
olympic lifts really have nothing to do with competition powerlifting squatting. If that were the case all the top powerlifters would be cleaning massive weights. I’m not a good clean-er but i can squat a very big amount of weight. With an olympic lift all of your joints are in dfferent positions and use different leverages. It’s all about speed and explosion off the floor. I’m sure that there are outstanding OL lifters out there that can’t squat shit.

How the hell did this turn into a fucking discussion about olympic lifts anyway?? Squats are an absolute strength movement and olympic lifts require much more speed and use of momentum. I really don’t give a shit about olympic lifts but THEY ARE NOT SQUATS! [/quote]

Lets see someone not able to squat put up a 2x bw C&J (VERY mediore by Interational Standards).

It isn’t all about speed. You have to have a ROCK SOLID squat to put big lifts. Sure HUGE squats may not give you HUGE lifts but big lifts will almost certainly give you respectable numbers.

On youtube you have a 69kg lifter FRONT SQUAT 200kg for 5reps. Rock solid, text book form. Amazing. His reps were fast also.

PL squat different as they want to leverage the most from their sport. Some will wear gear, this is fine to thier federation rules. Wide, low bar lets them lean forwards and maximise their weights.

As Hanley and others have mention some guys will use a narrower squat.

Just do what works for you. Like some OLIfters have a freakishly wide Jerk grip! Some have a really narrow now.

Your wide squat is poorer as your not use to it. I wouldn’t be able to wide squat worth anything as I don’t do it.

Koing

[quote]beefcakemdphd wrote:
Hanley’s right.[/quote]

I fucking LOVE hearing that. Thanks beef!

As Koing said, you don’t clean and jerk big without a good squat.

I don’t know if you’ve ever been to an oly meet in person, but one thing I noticed at my first one was how the weight really crushes down on the liter after he racks it. There’s no way you’re recover from that position without a freakishly strong pair of legs and core.

Also, a 2x BW being medicore. That’s just disgusting.

wide stance squats put alot of pressure on my balls and it doesnt feel good so i dont do them

does anybody know about possible hip troubles with squatting wide in time/heavy weights?
-i’ve been warned of this but havn’t come up with much information besides a couple personal stories (same with sumo deads)

[quote]Hanley wrote:
beefcakemdphd wrote:
Hanley’s right.

I fucking LOVE hearing that. Thanks beef!

As Koing said, you don’t clean and jerk big without a good squat.

I don’t know if you’ve ever been to an oly meet in person, but one thing I noticed at my first one was how the weight really crushes down on the liter after he racks it. There’s no way you’re recover from that position without a freakishly strong pair of legs and core.

Also, a 2x BW being medicore. That’s just disgusting.[/quote]

Sick isn’t it? 2x bw C&J and it is mediocre unless your 105kg, but even then isn’t anything special. A lot of weight but nothing approaching special.

They are all freaks!

Koing