T Nation

Wide Stance Squats and Strongman

I have been doing high bar, close stance squats for quite a while and was wonder if wide stance squats to a box will help me strengthen my hips and glutes?

Thanks
Will

Yes! But don’t totally quit the high-bar squats. Maintain that specific strength by using a 3x3 once per week or something. You may even alternate these with wide/box squats every other leg workout.

I alternate every 12 weeks.

Use Sumo deadlifts with olympic style full squats for 12 wks and then after that cycle I perform traditional deadlifts with slightly below parallel wide stance power-squats for my lower body work.

They seem to compliment each other very, very well.

A cent.

Amir

[quote]AMIRisSQUAT wrote:

Use Sumo deadlifts with olympic style full squats for 12 wks and then after that cycle I perform traditional deadlifts with slightly below parallel wide stance power-squats for my lower body work.

A cent.

Amir[/quote]

This sounds like a good idea.

I agree and the carry over and bringing the streght gained from sumo to convwention was fairly quick

Phill

A cent.

Amir[/quote]

Yeah, a real good idea.

A cent.

Amir[/quote]

Not to be the echo in the room… but that really is a great idea.

Not trying to promote my genius idea :), but since I’ve tried this I’ve blown through previous PR’s like cake.

There’s an amazing carryover.

I got the idea somewhat from a Marc Bartley article over at Elite. Working well for me, but I havent had any of my training partners use it YET, but after my last pulling and squatting session Im sure they’re interested :slight_smile:

It’s pretty easy to figure out WHY it works. Just want to see how long I can keep it working.

Anyone that tries, please let me know.

Amir

P.S I use somewhat the same concept for upper body but Im too lazy too type it all down.

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
AMIRisSQUAT wrote:

A cent.

Amir

Not to be the echo in the room… but that really is a great idea.
[/quote]

P.S I use somewhat the same concept for upper body but Im too lazy too type it all down.
[/quote]

Come on, dont be a tease…

I’m coming from the opposite end of the spectrum. I’ve powerlifted for 19 years and box squat very wide for many years, now I’m doing strongman and am doing a lot more close stance squats with a belt. It’s very weak right now in that stance. Now my quads are the weak point. I’m not going to completely lose touch with the wide stance squats though. Just throw them in sometimes as well.

[quote]KBCThird wrote:
AMIRisSQUAT wrote:

Come on, dont be a tease…

[/quote]

Yes… Please?

A cent.

Amir[/quote]

Amir,
So each week you do either a sq or deadlift? or do them both each lower body session?

Thanks
Will

Well, this is my current plan - working well - but nothing works forever.

4 session per week - 2 upper body 2 lower body

Tuesday - Upper
Thursday - Lower
Saturday - Upper
Sunday - Lower

Tuesday would look like this -
Dynamic effort Unit -
a1.clap push-ups - 3sets of 4
a2.jump chin-ups - 3sets of 4
Maximal effort Unit -
b1. Incline bench press - 3x3@9 (RPE)
b2. Chin-up or Pull-up - 4x3@9 (RPE)
Repetitive effort Unit
c1. standing db presses - 3x10@7-8 (RPE)
c2. t-bar rows - 3x10@7-8 (RPE)
Assist work - if I have the gas 2x12
Lower trap work
face pulls
side raises
db bicep curls

I take Surge right after the rep work so I usually DO have the gas to get the assist work in -

On Thursday Ill simply switch over the movement patterns -

Thursday would look like this -
Dynamic effort Unit -
a1.clap incline push-ups - 3sets of 4
a2.explosive inverted rows - 3sets of 4
Maximal effort Unit -
b1. Military press - 3x3@9 (RPE)
b2. BB rows - 4x3@9 (RPE)
Repetitive effort Unit
c1. Flat db presses - 3x10@7-8 (RPE)
c2. close grip pull-downs - 3x10@7-8 (RPE)
Assist work - if I have the gas 2x12
Lower trap work
face pulls
side raises
db bicep curls

Now I would normally use flat bench in place of the incline to make it more of a horizontal push but I’ve had a left shoulder issue for a few weeks and the flat hurts.

Ill do a 4 week cycle of the above
then a 4 week cycle where the
Dyn effort becomes - 4x3
Max effort becomes - 4x2
Rep effort becomes - 3x8
Then the third 4 week cycle
Dyn effort becomes - 5x2
Max effort becomes - 5x1 (work upto max)
Rep effort becomes - 3x6

Then I make my mind-bogglingly genius switch between movement patterns and repeat. Now repeat after me -

Linear periodization still works :slight_smile:

Amir

Linear periodization still works :slight_smile:

Amir [/quote]

The short cycles look like a nice way to use linear progression. I think most of the problems of linear progression “not working” come from those long 12-14 week cycles. Those can be rough on a lot of people.

For Will -

It looks like this, the lower body days -

Thursday -
Dynamic effort Unit -
Jump deads - 3x4
Max effort Unit -
Traditional deadlift - 3x3@9 (RPE)
Repetitive effort Unit -
Power Squat - 2x10@7-8 (RPE)
Assist -
Band pullthroughs - 2x12@7-8 (RPE)

Sunday -
Dynamic effort Unit -
Jump squats - 3x4
Max effort Unit -
Power squat - 3x3@9 (RPE)
Repetitive effort Unit -
traditional deadlift - 2x10@7-8 (RPE)
Assist -
Band resisted back raise - 2x12@7-8 (RPE)

Do this with the same type of linear progression I outlined below for my upper body and then I’ll switch the pattern.
Recently, I’ve been thinking that maybe I need to add some heavier assist work instead of using band resisted movements. May try that and see how it works.

Amir

[quote]Will42 wrote:
AMIRisSQUAT wrote:

A cent.

Amir

Amir,
So each week you do either a sq or deadlift? or do them both each lower body session?

Thanks
Will[/quote]