T Nation

Wide Stance Squat Hip Pain

So I am a terrible squatter - pound for pound it is my worst lift between my main lifts.I have Celtic hip, so as far as I know there is nothing I can do about it other than change my form. To get around this I squat with a wide stance and use a yoke bar. Lately I have been getting pain on the outside of my hips. I am not sure what is causing the pain, as I have not going particularly heavy lately as I am dieting. Do you guys know of any fixes?

Have you ever tried squatting with oly shoes with a more forward knee travel, for me personally if I squat wide often my left hip that has labrum torn in it gets very pissed off, if I use more of a narrow stance not so much.

The “outside of your hip” I am assuming you mean around the greater trochanter, probably IT band tightness, not really hip pain. Get a foam roller or some pvc, roll it out. Works wonders.

I have had similar issues, I used a lacrosse ball to fix it. Lay on your side with the ball between your hip and the floor and look for areas that hurt, when you find a spot just stay on it (up to several minutes) until the pain decreases or you feel the muscle twitch. It will probably hurt like hell, but it will fix the issue unless you have something else going on like a torn labrum. Look for a trigger point chart online, there are lots of different muscles that can cause pain in other areas when they get tight.

You are sitting back way too much and you are nowhere near depth. Also, it doesn’t really make sense to post a video for a form check with you using the SSB because your technique will be different from a low bar squat. However, the SSB makes it easier to hit depth so you really have a problem. Watch some how-to-squat videos on YouTube, there a hundreds.

Your lower back is rounding because you are hyperextending your spine, when you go lower your femurs have nowhere to go which causes your back to round to allow for more depth. There are no two ways about it, you need to fix your technique. It probably won’t be an overnight fix either, it will take time to correct your movement pattern.

I doubt that this has anything to do with pain on the outside of your hips though, use a lacrosse ball (or other hard and small ball) to loosen up the muscles in that area.

If you can front squat to depth then your problem has nothing to do with “celtic hip” or anything like that, it’s 100% technical. Especially since the leverages with the SSB are similar to a front squat. Do you plan to compete in powerlifting? If you do, then I can give you some advice that should help to sort you out. If not, then it really doesn’t matter, you can squat however you want.

For me, lack of ankle dorsiflexion on my right side causes hip pain on my left side… I’ve found the same bilaterally with a few buddies. Try improving your dorsiflexion. The Gait Guys have good stuff for this.

Have you tried taking a much narrower stance on back squats?

On a general note, I don’t really get why people are in such a rush to squat with such a wide stance when they don’t seem to have the requisite flexibility. For advanced lifters and/or competitive powerlifters the upsides are obvious, but for general strength training a more moderate stance seems much easier on the joints and makes it easier to hit depth.

I don’t know anything about your back squat since you didn’t post a video, you posted a video where you are doing something like a good morning with too much knee bend using a safety squat bar. That’s why it “more about back strength than leg strength”. The SSB gives you leverages more similar to a front squat because the angle of the bar puts the weight in front of you, the biggest difference is that you won’t fail a rep by not staying upright enough like with a front squat because the bar will stay on your back and you can use more glutes and hamstrings to finish the lift. If you can front squat just fine then the only reason your SSB squat would look like that is because you are trying to do something totally different. It looks like you are just pushing your hips back and bending the knees slightly rather than sitting down as you are supposed to do in a squat. You would go deeper if you bent your knees more and sat down instead of whatever it is you are doing.

What is your plan? What do you hope to accomplish? If you want to learn how to squat I can give you some advice, and the first thing is to stop squatting that way.

Work on your hip and ankle mobility.

My research has been taking up all my time. I haven’t had a chance to reply. Anyway, right now Im losing weight so if I can build any kind of strength that’d be great, but I dont expect huge numbers now. Like I said, Ive never been a good squatter, for whatever reason decent technique has alluded me for years, which is why I continiously give up and restart. I dont have this problem with other lifts

By chance do you know any knowledgeable guys in your area guys that might actually compete in powerlifting whom might be able to help you in real life.

You didn’t use a lacrosse ball on your hips yet, did you?

Regardless of whether youre narrow or wide, you need to open your knees enough so your body can sink in between your thighs. At the bottom range of your “squat” your belly is landing on tp of your thighs. You cannot sink lower because of this. Buy and read Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. If afer digesting his recommendations, get a live coach. Your form is not correctable without starting over from scratch. By “from scracth” I mean with a broomstick This has nothing to do with flexibility, mobility, or other silly crap. This is technique related.

What I teach people to do is sit on a stool that is below parallelwith your feet shoulder width apart and your knees spread apart. Flatten out your back and try to stand up. If you cant, move your feet out half inch at a time until you can. When you can stand up with a flat back, congratulations - you just squatted. Then you practice EVERY DAY for LOTS OF REPS with a broomstick until you can do it without thinking with your eyes closed. The idea is to ingrain the movement pattern. A famous golf coach, Bruce Harmon said it takes a minimum of 1,000 repetitions before the body learns ANY new tweak to a movement pattern. Let that sink in.

When this is perfected, then you are ready for the empty bar. Once you start with the empty bar stay away from leg presses, front squats, hi bar squats and ANY other type of squatting until you MASTER THE SQUAT. This will take some time, maybe a few years.

There are a few people who can achive depth with straight ahead thighs. Look up Dennis Reed, and Mauro DiPasquale. These people though are few and far between.

Good luck