T Nation

Wide Grip Split Jerks

Has anybody tried doing split jerks with a wider grip? I wonder if its possible to split jerk more weight if you increase the width of your grip once you rack the weight on your shoulders so that the range of motion of the jerk is less.

Do any experienced weightlifters have any comments?

A lot of weight lifters do this to reduce the ROM in the jerk. I don’t like it, but it comes down to preference.

It’s a good idea in theory, but the problem is maintaining a proper rack position. Many guys will widen their grip a bit after the clean portion (a couple inches on either side), but I’ve never seen anyone at the elite level using any drastic positions like a snatch grip.

-Dan

Yes there is an advantage in that the bar won’t have to move as far, but there is a trade off in that the bar is harder to balance overhead and harder to hold in proper position on your chest (I find so anyways). I know a few guys with awful shoulder flexibility that tried it and liked it.
I Remember seeing a very good cuban lifter and one bulgarian/quatarian do this.

ive tried it once but i like to use a regular grip just like when u bench.

vanev used a very wide grip after the clean, he also started kinda wide too. I find that a wider grip in the jerk does help me jerk more, but the rack is a little compromised. experiment with how far to go and you may be pleasently surprised

[quote]buffalokilla wrote:
It’s a good idea in theory, but the problem is maintaining a proper rack position. Many guys will widen their grip a bit after the clean portion (a couple inches on either side), but I’ve never seen anyone at the elite level using any drastic positions like a snatch grip.

-Dan[/quote]

Actually, if you have the 1995 World Championship OL videos from Iron mind; you can see Sergei Syrtsov perform jerks with his pinkies on the snatch marks. He went on to win silver in that competion.

[quote]Mr Kobayashi wrote:
Has anybody tried doing split jerks with a wider grip? I wonder if its possible to split jerk more weight if you increase the width of your grip once you rack the weight on your shoulders so that the range of motion of the jerk is less.

Do any experienced weightlifters have any comments?[/quote]

I think it’s just a matter of how wide you can have your grip while still racking it effectively and comfortably.

Thanks for the input, I’ve only started doing olympic lifts and I’m mainly working on technique. I’ve been practising split jerks using a ‘conventional’ close grip style my coaches say NOT to do wider grip jerks, but maybe I’ll try a slightly wider grip.

[quote]Olympiclfter wrote:
Actually, if you have the 1995 World Championship OL videos from Iron mind; you can see Sergei Syrtsov perform jerks with his pinkies on the snatch marks. He went on to win silver in that competion.[/quote]

Cool, I haven’t seen that one. I’ll try to get my hands on it.

Have a good one,

Dan

the ROM does decrease but the disadvantage is in that the shoulders while have to compensate much more for stability/balance and the tension place on the shoulders would be highly significant. in terms of the rack position to me sometimes it depends on the wrist flexibility and how well you can position the weight on the clavicular head of the chest.