T Nation

Wide Grip Lat Pulldowns

What muscle group is worked with the wide grip lat pull down?

you sir, are retarded

[quote]eatliftsleep wrote:
you sir, are retarded[/quote]
Oh I know the answer I was just curious to hear other peoples opinions, its not the lats…care to try again? …sir

Lats, lower traps, biceps.

By the way, what muscles are worked during an exercise is not a matter of opinion.

Aww yea

Walnuts
Peanuts
Pineapple smells
Grapes
Melons
Oranges
And
Coconut shells

Aww yea

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

By the way, what muscles are worked during an exercise is not a matter of opinion. [/quote]
Agreed, your opinion is incorrect. Le me rephrase the question maybe you can answer more specifically…what are the prime movers in the wide grip lat pulldown.?

WTF is this? The bodybuilding forum or a help group for structural kinesiology?

The quads?

[quote]buckeye girl wrote:
WTF is this? The bodybuilding forum or a help group for structural kinesiology?[/quote]
Care to answer the question?

[quote]youngster543210 wrote:

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

By the way, what muscles are worked during an exercise is not a matter of opinion. [/quote]
Agreed, your opinion is incorrect. Le me rephrase the question maybe you can answer more specifically…what are the prime movers in the wide grip lat pulldown.?[/quote]

He just told you?

[quote]texas man wrote:
The quads?[/quote]
Lol good one, but on a serious note, what muscle group do you think it is?

Why are you asking this? Trivial pursuit bodybuilding edition? No ones going to give you a serious answer
Wide grip lat pull downs will hit the lats plenty of guys use it for there lats
That being said the wider grip does hit your middle back more
So that whole trap rhomboid jazz and more rear delt

OP needs to read a book.

[quote]texas man wrote:
The quads?[/quote]
Lol good one, but on a serious note, what muscle group do you think it is?[/quote]
IME it hits my teres muscles more than anything. If I was intending to hit lats on the lat pulldown, I would instead do close neutral grip with torso straight up.

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

[quote]texas man wrote:
The quads?[/quote]
Lol good one, but on a serious note, what muscle group do you think it is?[/quote]

IME it hits my teres muscles more than anything. If I was intending to hit lats on the lat pulldown, I would instead do close neutral grip with torso straight up.[/quote]
correct, the teres major is the primary mover. The lats are minimally involved. Anyone need proof? Simulate a pullover in the air and feel your lats contract, now simulate a wide grip pull down, you see, almost no lat activation

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

[quote]texas man wrote:
The quads?[/quote]
IME it hits my teres muscles more than anything. If I was intending to hit lats on the lat pulldown, I would instead do close neutral grip with torso straight up.[/quote]correct, the teres major is the primary mover. The lats are minimally involved. Anyone need proof? Simulate a pullover in the air and feel your lats contract, now simulate a wide grip pull down, you see, almost no lat activation[/quote]
And you’ve been hit by…
JAGERBOMB!!

Thanks for reading another chapter of Broscience for dummies

Next Chapter <>

Depends on elbow positioning. I always angle my elbows forward to target my Lats more. But hey, maybe I’ve been doing it wrong.

S

Maybe, just maybe we’re all doing it wrong…

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
Depends on elbow positioning. I always angle my elbows forward to target my Lats more. But hey, maybe I’ve been doing it wrong.

S[/quote]
When you allow the elbows to come forward it will hit your lats to some degree…but its not nearly as effective as just doing a close grip pull down, its also not as effective for the teres to do a wide pull down with the elbows forward…its a medium between the two, we should all think about doing pulldowns behind the neck for our trees and lower traps and focus on narrow grip movements for lat development.

[quote]ChrisWaddle wrote:
Maybe, just maybe we’re all doing it wrong…[/quote]
I believe Bonez/Cephalic_Carnage (where is that dude?) said the same thing. Wide-grip pulldowns worked well for their teres but lats, not so much. I got the close/neutral w/ erect torso tip from Bonez and I believe Stu said the same thing. Works well for me as well.