WIDE Flat Shoes for Good Squats!

Hello dear T-Nation forum!!

I’ve read MANY threads, before you critique me.

I basicly need some ideas for WIDE, flat, Totally incompressible shoes that have enough upper-sole support for medium-to-wide squats (heels a bit wider than shoulders. I will attatch an image of my squat with 160kg. No it is not touched or bro-supported.

I have heard them all:
Chucks, VFFs, Vans, Oly Shoes (12 brands), Adidas Samba and the rest of the Power Family (powerlift, powetrainer, adistar) and the Ironcast, Inov8, New balance…

I own a pair of some random cheap sneakers chucks style. Problem with them is that the outsole is too damn cheap and with heavier loads it gets unstable and can literally rip apart. Not the best feel in the world, although the shoes are quite minimalistic (VERY flexible, almost no compression, very thin and flat).

I have a pair of Rogue Do-Wins (1/2"). They are amazing but uncomfortable for my squatting style. I like to use a lot of hip momentum and i do not want to turn the squat into upright quad type of squat. I use low-bar and also go Raw.

I have a pair of Vibrams. GREAT for deadlifting and Pressing, but today i tried them for squats - they sucked.
I like being able to feel the center of my foor in terms of balance and weigth distribution - cant do it with the VFFs (KMD sports model).

The problem is that i have VERY wide feet - even with other people using vibrams (having the toes spread) - compared to them i really have wide feet.
I just cant get my feet in Chucks or Vans.

So i would love to find the VANS for the wide feet.
Have been looking over some Vivobarefoot shoes and other minimalistic shoes… But the hard part is that i live in Bulgaria and have to order (meaning pay 200$) for a risky size/fit shoe.

Anyone with ideas is very appreciated!!

SABO Deadlift Lifting shoes?

they have more support than for instant chucks and total flat sole

Reebok powershoe, it was designed by mark bell for your exact situation

I’m worried that the SABO will be uncomfortable because of a little narrowing point in the middle of the foot, see?
That is the same thing that the wrestling shoes have. Also how wide is the SABO?

This reebok Powershoe looks dead on the target!
Gotta research it a bit and i might actually order a pair.

Still open to suggestions!

Russian lifters have lifted enormous weights with shitty equipment for many, many years. Things like these demand your consideration… If you’re squatting big weights, moving to and beyond 300 kg.

FWIW Mit, I’ve had twice what your pic has on the bar in good ol chucks. Your shoes are probably not a problem. Pretty much any of the shoes you listed will work. It boils down to what you like. We cannot tell you this. but yeah the Reebock “crossfit” shoes Bell made up are great and are reasonably priced, at least here in the states. Not sure what all you have in your part of the globe…

edit -

[quote]Mitizaro wrote:
I like being able to feel the center of my foor in terms of balance and weigth distribution - cant do it with the VFFs (KMD sports model).[/quote]

Most people that squat wide like that would advocate being on the outside edge of the foot and balanced mostly on the heels and that whole “spread the floor” thing.

tell you what, You send me a Bulgarian AK with a few circle 10 mags, I’ll send you whatever shoes you want. :slight_smile:

No, chucks are fine.
I would love to wear Vans and be done.

Problem is not the stability of chucks or the compression of the sole…
Its that they’re fucking too narrow. I have fucking wide feet thats why half the shoes that do the job fine are to small for my feet to get in.

I do realize my squat ain’t that big, its just that in my current 8$ “sneakers” it feels already unstable squasshy to the side.

And i thank to EVERYONE who posted here! :slight_smile:

[quote]Mitizaro wrote:
Problem is not the stability of chucks or the compression of the sole…
Its that they’re fucking too narrow. I have fucking wide feet thats why half the shoes that do the job fine are to small for my feet to get in.
[/quote]
Mark Bell powershoes. Also only 70 bucks right now looks like.

I’ll add another suggestion for Mark Bell’s powershoes. Very happy with how they’ve worked for me, and I also have wide(ish) feet.

Nice @TB284
Please, Please, Please dude - can you tell me if the sole is hard or soft? Thats what i cant get from the online reviews…

Is it like vans (without the footbed) hard, or even like VFFs hard? That would sum up the last point i want for them (besides that Reebok basicly told me they dont ship overseas…)

[quote]Mitizaro wrote:
Nice @TB284
Please, Please, Please dude - can you tell me if the sole is hard or soft? Thats what i cant get from the online reviews…

Is it like vans (without the footbed) hard, or even like VFFs hard? That would sum up the last point i want for them (besides that Reebok basicly told me they dont ship overseas…)[/quote]
Eric lilliebridge takes over 1,000 pounds in them, I think they’ll suit your needs.

What do you need shoes for? Just squat nekkid!

you may find these videos helpful.

I’m also gonna recommend the reebok powershoe. Owned them since they came out and they’re great, I use them for everything including strongman.

The sole is hard. They’re just like an Oly shoe with no heel, basically.

I use Chucks but without the inner sole. I pulled the sole out and it is much wider.

How wide? I use New Balance Minimus and really like them. Before my retina detachment I was squatting 465 for reps and the shoes were great. No issues at all and I’m 2E width.

Amazing… gonna get the reebok powershoes then!!

Sad thing is they dont sell from USA to BUL, so i cant get the low tops but… gonna see what i can do about this.

Ordered the shoes - Reebok Powershoe. I wear 47 Nikes, i hope that 13.0 will be just fine.

Gonna post review (short) when i get them.

I thank EVEYRONE for the input!!

The Reebok Power Lift or whatever it’s called looks like a clown shoe but it feels great. It’s labelled Crossfit for some reason though.