'Why?'

Hi everyone

My question is…

Why?

Why do we want to be bigger and stronger?
Why do we ruthlessly commit ourselves to eating the right nutrition?
Why do we sometimes forsake enjoyment or convenience to achieve our goals?

I’m asking this because recently a friend of mine saw me eating a plate of rice and a bag of peanuts in school, and he was completely amazed. He just asked WHY?

He knows I train and am bulking, but that didnt really answer his question. He wanted to know why I had to enslave myself to this plate of rice, to eating protein at every meal every two hours.

I didnt really know what to answer. “To get bigger and stronger” didnt really seem to answer his question.

I guess I just need a little motivation.

Thoughts?

The same reason people pick up guitars or paint brushes…the same reason your friend plays his video games…its just something we started doing and fell in love with…thats it simply.

You just ate rice and peanuts? I also wonder why.

to look good naked

Why not?

[quote]kakno wrote:
You just ate rice and peanuts? I also wonder why.[/quote]

Yeah, I’d have to ask you why as well.

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:

[quote]kakno wrote:

S[/quote]

peanuts and rice unlock your true anabolic muscle growth potential. Just like creatine in your socks. Jeeze Stu, you’re a pro BB and you don’t know this yet? haha.

You also put creatine in your socks?

The rumours are true…

If it feels good do it.

gotta get those fats n’ carbs in eh OP? lol

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:

[quote]kakno wrote:

S[/quote]

x3. Exactly what I thought.

To lift or not to lift, that is the question.

It is hard, there is no doubt about that. But if everything were easy, thered be nothing to strive for, nothing to live for. I push myself to the brink Daily in the gym. I do exercises that leave me gasping for air in a pool of sweat on the floor. I do it because it makes me feel alive. Gives me some sort of parameter in which i can measure myself in growth as a person. Yea ive gotten stronger, yea ive gotten more muscular, but look at this. Look at my dieting- Its gotten more complex, its gotten more scientific. Im testing the affects of certain foods and supplements on my body. Im learning. Look at my training journals. Sets, reps, exercies- they all have meaning. There is purpose behind them. They are me focusing on certain things, highlighting aspects and attempting to bring up others.

They are arranged in order so that strength doesnt dip too much over the duration of my workouts. They are grouped in a way that Secondarys dont get pounded during a different day than when they were wrecked. They are taking into account muscles that most dont even KNOW of. Dedication has taken on a whole new meaning. I am able to sit in the gym and train how i need to for as long as i need to. A lengthy duration of cutting brought that to a different level. Waking up, without a word, and getting on my bike for morning cardio. Finishing a lengthy workout only to walk over to the ellipticals and continue pounding away another 30mins. Driving 20mins out of the way for the simple purpose of doing 25min of HIIT work on an “Off” Day.

Yes, there are times when the load becomes too much. There are times from whence we collapse to the ground, and believe that we’d be unable to find the strength to stand. But it is those moments that are absolutely necessary in our personal growth; we are one giant muscle- for us to grow, we must face and overcome Great Trials. What do they say? “The reason we fall is to learn to pick ourselves up” Well, it doesnt get much truer than that.

Yes, i do it because of the strength, because of the feel, the look- but i also do it because without it id probably still be a spoiled little fatty, unwilling to work for things. Its about taking a few steps back and just looking at the grand scheme of things…

I put on a shit-eating grin and say “It’s good for you”. This usually gets a laugh and takes the conversationg elsewhere. If you actually say some crap like “I’m trying to get stronger” or “I’m making sure I get some good protein” yada yada then they’re only going to ask more questions. If you’re uncomfortable with it, then don’t lead them on.

And I’ll repeat: why are you eating rice and peanuts? Did I miss some research breakthrough?

A very strong man once wrote:

[quote]Talking to a family member recently, I was asked an innocent enough question; “What’s next?”

This question pertained to powerlifting competitions, but it can be applied to virtually any pursuit in life. Why do people do crazy, seemingly pointless things? Why do we stare in awe when others accomplish what we thought impossible, even if there is no apparent benefit to anyone? Why do people run marathons or squat 1000+ lbs? Why do we want to see how fast a person can drive a car? Why do otherwise sane people go bungee jumping? I believe the simplest answer is the best one; some of us live to push things to their limits and beyond. Itâ??s part of being fully alive.

One can breathe moment after moment, wake up morning upon morning, go to work, eat lunch, come home to a wife and kids, fish on the weekends, go to church on Sundays, complain about having a bad case of the Mondays, and there is nothing dishonorable about that. But, for some, that is not enough. Some people donâ??t want to be remembered for knowing the best jokes, making a good cup of coffee, or being a great accountant. Those things arenâ??t enough for me. Iâ??m driven to do what Iâ??ve been told is impossible. Is it to prove the naysayers wrong? Is it to feel good about myself? Is it to be famous or attain a superior sense of security? Maybe none of the aboveâ?¦maybe all of them. What I AM sure of is that I wonâ??t settle for â??decentâ??. Good enough isnâ??t good enough for me; when it comes to my thing (powerlifting), I need to do what intimidates most people. I need to do things that make people cringe when they think of doing half that.

It is this passion that keeps me really and truly alive. No, not the specific passion of powerlifting, but simply HAVING a passion that I actively pursue. I donâ??t look down upon distance runners, swimmers, sprinters, mathematicians, scientists, artists, or any others with a serious pursuit. These people are comrades that share my passion, albeit in different areas of life. They share my love of breaking down barriers, pushing themselves mentally and physically, doing things weaker people cower at. I respect them and only ask that they respect me. They donâ??t have to love what I love, or do what I do. Itâ??s the fire inside, driving us tirelessly, which separates us from everyone else. They say, â??You canâ??t.â?? We think, â??I will.â?? Mistakes are not failures; they are lessons. Obstacles arenâ??t an excuse to give up; theyâ??re a reason to persevere, thinking of those whoâ??ve gone before us and knowing they faced the same problems, but still pressed on. â??Am I able to press on?â?? is the wrong question. The correct one is, â??Will I?â?? We always have a choice.

So I answered the question honestly: â??Beating my last total.â?? Every session, I seek to improve myself in some manner: bring up a weak point, prevent potential injuries, challenge myself mentally to build toughness. Along the way, the rituals of my passion do become a sort of comfort. Pre workout foods and supplements, the drive to the gym, filling my water bottle there, making mental notes throughout my warm-up sets, setting goals for the session, the tightness and difficulty breathing in the middle of a heavy set, leaving drenched in sweat, still breathing heavily, post workout shower and shake. They help put my restless mind at ease for an hour or two, bring me calm and a resolute sense of purpose, and bring everything into perspective. Eventually, you realize how much you love not just the end product but also the process itself. The struggle helps shape us into who we are, and that is nothing to apologize for.

Stay hungry.[/quote]

[quote]kakno wrote:

x11

People at work always ask me why I eat steak for lunch or why I’m mixing white powder with my orange juice. I tell them “Because I like it” and 90% of the time it ends there. If they’re the few that go to the gym on lunch break, then I’ll explain to them just in case they really want to know.

[quote]kakno wrote:

Me thinks maybe the OP is a vegan?

…hence combining food types (grains with nuts) to make complete proteins. In which case, it’s probably more than just his bodybuilding that his friend is questioning.

OP - you do know that you can make food taste good? :wink:

[quote]Blaze_108 wrote:
peanuts and rice unlock your true anabolic muscle growth potential. Just like creatine in your socks. Jeeze Stu, you’re a pro BB and you don’t know this yet? haha.[/quote]

With all the different Natty Federations, you never know what may cause a ‘false positive’… Poppy Seeds, HOT-ROX,… Rice and Peanuts -lol

S

I do it for these 3 reasons:

1. Look good
  2. Live longer & healthier
  3. It gives me something to do :slight_smile:

and in this order unfortunately.

*after a while you actually get used to the food and it tastes good.

#1-Because it’s not a negotiation.
Eventually everything else…work, relationships with friends, family, your children, everything is a negotiation. When I walk into the gym it’s all up to me. It’s my workout, fueled by my diet, based on my beliefs. Sure I love to talk about what works for others with people that are serious about their training, but in the end the decision is mine alone. It’s always there, waiting, consistent, true, and offers no quarter. When I succeed it is the result of my hard work, a confirmation of my methods and discipline. When I fail I must humble myself and learn, re-group, and return with greater commitment and resolve. It provides a lifetime of challenge.
#2-You meet some great people along the way!!

Why?
By Jim Wendler
For EliteFTS.com

Weâ??ve all been there. Whether it be in front of our families, while lying in bed with a significant other or while sipping on a few cold drafts with a new acquaintance at a bar, weâ??ve all encountered the question; â??Why do you powerlift?â?? Dave Tate addressed this very question in his article â??Could this be it?â?? But after attending a seminar in Nazareth, Pennsylvania I think I finally found my reason why.

During the seminar, Bob Youngs asked John Bott, Mike Miller, Bill Crawford and I all to come up with reasons of why we lift weights and do what we do. I have to admit that I was a bit caught off guard. This is rare and I was able to put together a fairly reasonable answer. But after that weekend which was full of numerous PRâ??s, tremendous camaraderie, great stories, excessive food intake and a few beers I know why.

The funny thing is that you know why, too.

I donâ??t have to sit here at my computer giving you reasons for the hours of time Iâ??ve spent on the phone with customers talking about such things as why I like 4 board presses better than rack lockouts.

Or why Dave and I sit around and pass ideas around for hours; most of which end up being absolute trash.

Or why Bob Youngs calls every single day and we talk about everything and anything.

Or why Iâ??ve got a can of super adhesive glue made for white water rafting sitting in my kitchen in an attempt to alter my squat suit.

Or why the bench shirt has given me (and everyone else) more stress than a rogue collection agency.

Or why I spend thousands of dollars every year in an attempt to total â??Xâ?? amount of weight with no plans on making the money back.

No one ever asks a collegiate, professional or an Olympic athlete this question. It is assumed that either money, fame, â??love of the gameâ??, or pride in oneâ??s country all play a role in these athletesâ?? motivation. This is assumed and it is accepted.

There is a growing trend in powerlifting to unify all organizations with an attempt to mainstream the sport. There is talk of putting powerlifting in the Olympics. Iâ??ve even heard of rumors of getting rid of the powerlifting equipment because â??normalâ?? people donâ??t understand why some canâ??t get 600lbs of bar weight to their chest when bench pressing.

I donâ??t understand.

Iâ??m not in this sport to make money. Iâ??m not in the weight room in the early morning so that normal people will accept me. Iâ??m not concerned with those that say a bench shirt is cheating. I donâ??t care where you lift or what your rules say. I donâ??t care if you donâ??t like the IPA and the supposedly bad judging. I certainly donâ??t care who squatted what weight in what gear and in what federation.

I care about strength.

Itâ??s that simple and for some, itâ??s too confusing.

They want me to visit the online forums and rant and rage because someone says that Westside is all about gimmicks and drugs. They want to trap me into an argument about some random training philosophy that may or may not contradict Louie Simmonsâ?? latest article. They want me to make an effort so that the â??Average Joeâ?? will be able to understand my drive and my dedication.

Nothing frustrates them more than silence and success.

During the Nazareth seminar, I had the opportunity to meet Mike Miller and help spot him during a 1000lbs. box squat. There wasnâ??t a single person in that room that needed to ask Mike Miller â??why would you want to do that?â?? Everyone in that weight room new why. So when Bob Youngs asked me that question, I think that my answer didnâ??t really matter. Everyone knew.

So the next time someone asks you that tired, boring question, respond with the one word, â??Strengthâ??. If they donâ??t understand, donâ??t waste your breath.