Why you can lift more with sumo

[quote]Mathew Bertrand wrote:

Post the study. I’d like to learn more about this as well.

Think about it this way.

A deadlift bar is 7 feet right? so if the shortest range of motion is best than why not put your feet out to the plates, do the splits, and stiff leg sumo the bar? That would be the shortest distance right?

So why would that suck? Hopefully I don’t actually have to explain it, but will if ppl don’t get it.

Why do some lifters feel they can lift more at a defecit? I’ve felt the same thing, and summed it up to being able to have more bar speed to get through my sticking point at my knees.

please discuss
[/quote]

I find this topic really interesting…it seems like y’all are talking about the relative advantages of each type of deadlift. However, the original post seems to have disappeared and I could not elucidate from the earlier conversations the exact and original “thesis statement” of this discussion. Could someone provide that? Thanks! PS – MB, had another PR today (SUMO). Think the form is improving and tried a few deadlifts to the knees today :slight_smile:

[quote]Raging_Teddy wrote:
Study: An electromyographic analysis of sumo and conventional style deadlifts - PubMed

Haha, just found the same one: http://lib.bioinfo.pl/paper:11932579

I’ll look into it further when I get home from work…might have more saved on my computer.

[quote]rfstef2 wrote:

[quote]Mathew Bertrand wrote:

Post the study. I’d like to learn more about this as well.

Think about it this way.

A deadlift bar is 7 feet right? so if the shortest range of motion is best than why not put your feet out to the plates, do the splits, and stiff leg sumo the bar? That would be the shortest distance right?

So why would that suck? Hopefully I don’t actually have to explain it, but will if ppl don’t get it.

Why do some lifters feel they can lift more at a defecit? I’ve felt the same thing, and summed it up to being able to have more bar speed to get through my sticking point at my knees.

please discuss
[/quote]

I find this topic really interesting…it seems like y’all are talking about the relative advantages of each type of deadlift. However, the original post seems to have disappeared and I could not elucidate from the earlier conversations the exact and original “thesis statement” of this discussion. Could someone provide that? Thanks! PS – MB, had another PR today (SUMO). Think the form is improving and tried a few deadlifts to the knees today :slight_smile: [/quote]

Pulls to the knee are always good man, so are PR’s!