Why you can lift more with sumo

[quote]Raging_Teddy wrote:

I’ve pulled 560 single ply.

I placed 4th at 2013 USAPL College Nationals with a 622 squat, 475 bench, and 560 deadlift in the 205 weight class. I wouldn’t say I’m advanced, but I’m certainly not a beginner.[/quote]

Are you the writer? Sorry, but when I saw your vids i saw a 330 bench, 385x5 squat, and no real pulls. in my gym we’ve got at least 10 guys capable of the same numbers and it’s a commercial one.

Once again, def not trying to be insulting… and I’d agree, not a beginner.

Honestly tho… making definitive statements is going to get you in trouble. I can appreciate that you don’t really care, cause I did the same thing when i was younger and really regretted it… I wish I could go back and take a LOT of things back.

I can only say that tho because I did it… and if i didn’t, I’d probably be a wuss and not even typing this.

I’m going to give one more piece of unsolicated advice - Learn the anatomy of the deadlift, have someone who’s gone to school for that sort of stuff explain to you what muscles are firing and what’s happening.

YOu know how Louie would always say how his dead lift wouldn’t go up by doing heavy rack pulls? Don’t you think that’s kind of weird? All that posterior chain strength going up and the deadlift itself doesn’t go up?

Louie rarely trained his quads, watch a deadlift start, the legs are EXTENDING to start the lift… that’s quads. as the bar passes the knee that’s when you use your hamstrings, glutes and low back to extend the hip for a lockout.

There’s a lot of misinformation out there and you can’t trust anyone… especially me… Maybe I’m totally retarded, you don’t know… be critical of what you read man.

Personally, all I had to do to find out if your article was right or not was ask my gf who’s getting her PHD in Human kinetics and has been the best lifter at Nationals.

If you’re going to make such bold statements I think it will come across better with a bit of anatomy in there as opposed to playing your only card of being a physicist?

Other than that, I enjoyed your blog post, i’m happy I read it, I sincerely hope that my comments will be helpful and have not come across as trying to put you down.

[quote]Mathew Bertrand wrote:

I placed 4th at 2013 USAPL College Nationals with a 622 squat, 475 bench, and 560 deadlift in the 205 weight class. I wouldn’t say I’m advanced, but I’m certainly not a beginner.[/quote]

Are you the writer? Sorry, but when I saw your vids i saw a 330 bench, 385x5 squat, and no real pulls. in my gym we’ve got at least 10 guys capable of the same numbers and it’s a commercial one.

Honestly tho… making definitive statements is going to get you in trouble. I can appreciate that you don’t really care, cause I did the same thing when i was younger and really regretted it… I wish I could go back and take a LOT of things back.

I can only say that tho because I did it… and if i didn’t, I’d probably be a wuss and not even typing this.

I’m going to give one more piece of unsolicated advice - Learn the anatomy of the deadlift, have someone who’s gone to school for that sort of stuff explain to you what muscles are firing and what’s happening.

YOu know how Louie would always say how his dead lift wouldn’t go up by doing heavy rack pulls? Don’t you think that’s kind of weird? All that posterior chain strength going up and the deadlift itself doesn’t go up?

Louie rarely trained his quads, watch a deadlift start, the legs are EXTENDING to start the lift… that’s quads. as the bar passes the knee that’s when you use your hamstrings, glutes and low back to extend the hip for a lockout.

There’s a lot of misinformation out there and you can’t trust anyone… especially me… Maybe I’m totally retarded, you don’t know… be critical of what you read man, tho T-Nation is good, it’s the only board i go on now.

Personally, all I had to do to find out if your article was right or not was ask my gf who’s getting her PHD in Human kinetics and has been the best lifter at Nationals.

If you’re going to make such bold statements I think it will come across better with a bit of anatomy in there as opposed to playing your only card of being a physicist?

Other than that, I enjoyed your blog post, i’m happy I read it, I sincerely hope that my comments will be helpful and have not come across as trying to put you down.[/quote]

Not to derail, but what do you mean by “not a real pull”? Do you mean sumo deadlifts, or did he not even pull from the floor? Or perhaps did you mean you never saw any deadlifting in ‘insert video’?

Not really sure what got this started but, I have smashed my conventional best by switching to Sumo and it has only gotten stronger over the past month. Also I pulled 515 for a double today Sumo so you can trust I have a slight idea by your standards.

[quote]DSSG wrote:
Not to derail, but what do you mean by “not a real pull”? Do you mean sumo deadlifts, or did he not even pull from the floor? Or perhaps did you mean you never saw any deadlifting in ‘insert video’?[/quote]

never saw any vids

[quote]Reed wrote:
Not really sure what got this started but, I have smashed my conventional best by switching to Sumo and it has only gotten stronger over the past month. Also I pulled 515 for a double today Sumo so you can trust I have a slight idea by your standards. [/quote]

Cool man, my Buddy Kade Weber pulled sumo until he missed 700 at the knees at a meet, 4 days later he pulled it conventional then has gone onto pull 850… everyone is different and there’s no definitive answers out there

And the OP posted his blog, and thought better of it. I didn’t expect him to take it down… I feel pretty bad now actually

There’s a lot of misinformation out there and you can’t trust anyone… especially me… Maybe I’m totally retarded, you don’t know… be critical of what you read man.

Other than that, I enjoyed your blog post, i’m happy I read it, I sincerely hope that my comments will be helpful and have not come across as trying to put you down.[/quote]

Yes. I’m the writer. The reason those are the only vids on my channel is because I just started filming. I’ve only been doing anything raw for a couple months after years of single ply.

I knew this would be very controversial, and that’s why I posted it. I don’t know what else you saw in my blog, but there’s nothing else anywhere near that polarizing. I try to keep things informative and less speculative, but I also wanted to post this to bring some attention to myself.

Honestly, since writing it, I’ve had alot of great conversations about the differences in styles, and I’m beginning to reconsider.

As for the bit about quads, I cite an EKG study that shows that quads are more involved in sumo than conventional. In regard to your comment about working my quads more; You’re absolutely right. I realized that a few months ago, and have been working on it.

edit: I didn’t take my blog down, the mods did. I guess you can’t link a blog on here.

Yes. I’m the writer. The reason those are the only vids on my channel is because I just started filming. I’ve only been doing anything raw for a couple months after years of single ply.

I knew this would be very controversial, and that’s why I posted it. I don’t know what else you saw in my blog, but there’s nothing else anywhere near that polarizing. I try to keep things informative and less speculative, but I also wanted to post this to bring some attention to myself.

Honestly, since writing it, I’ve had alot of great conversations about the differences in styles, and I’m beginning to reconsider.

As for the bit about quads, I cite an EKG study that shows that quads are more involved in sumo than conventional. In regard to your comment about working my quads more; You’re absolutely right. I realized that a few months ago, and have been working on it.

edit: I didn’t take my blog down, the mods did. I guess you can’t link a blog on here.[/quote]

I forget where I heard it, but this isn’t the first time hearing that sumo uses more quads than conventional. Got any keywords I can use to find your blog?

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:

edit: I didn’t take my blog down, the mods did. I guess you can’t link a blog on here.[/quote]

I forget where I heard it, but this isn’t the first time hearing that sumo uses more quads than conventional. Got any keywords I can use to find your blog?[/quote]

Try checking out this video of me sucking at raw deficits, and look in the video description.

Hey man,

i’m really relieved that you didn’t take it down, after my first article for T-Nation I had guys that I thought were close friends delete me off facebook and get in a big huff over the whole thing.

I try not to let anyone or anything control my emotions but me… but that was upsetting.

I really like your attitude about all the conversations you’ve had and how you’re thinking more about it.

Why don’t you take this experience and turn the article into this:

Deadlift debate - conventional or sumo? which is better?

Submit it to T-Nation, they love articles that you can use the same day you read it. Nothing to lose from submitting. Bryan Krahn is an awesome editor and is pretty much the only reason I got published on here, he helped me out a ton.

I’d love to help you out with anything you might need, I’m just getting started in writing myself, but my first article was quite the education of what T-Nation is looking for, I should be submitting my next article this week.

Hey man,

i’m really relieved that you didn’t take it down, after my first article for T-Nation I had guys that I thought were close friends delete me off facebook and get in a big huff over the whole thing.
[/quote]

That seem like silly thing to get all riled up over…

I’ll probably write something like that eventually. The problem is I’m having a hard time getting past the physics of it and looking at anatomical factors since I’m a physics guy and know only very basic anatomy, but I’ve accepted that the human body isn’t as cut and dry as I’d like it to be.

I definitely have a lot more research to do before writing it though.

[quote]

Submit it to T-Nation, they love articles that you can use the same day you read it. Nothing to lose from submitting. Bryan Krahn is an awesome editor and is pretty much the only reason I got published on here, he helped me out a ton.

I’d love to help you out with anything you might need, I’m just getting started in writing myself, but my first article was quite the education of what T-Nation is looking for, I should be submitting my next article this week.[/quote]

I’ll PM you about this, if that’s ok?

Hey man,

[/quote]

That seem like silly thing to get all riled up over…

I’ll probably write something like that eventually. The problem is I’m having a hard time getting past the physics of it and looking at anatomical factors since I’m a physics guy and know only very basic anatomy, but I’ve accepted that the human body isn’t as cut and dry as I’d like it to be.

Love your attitude man, you’ll go far.

Just remember, anatomy is what’s holding you back right now… you’ve got the phsyics down, and likely there won’t be anyone else out there who’s able to talk about the physics of lifting the way you can… that’s your strength. i’ve personally made the mistake of focusing on my strengths too much… don’t neglect tho. Get into the biomechanics, once you have that, even just a good grasp, your writing will take off and you’ll be able to help a lot of people.

And that’s the point right?

Take care

I’ve never really done a lot of sumo. But I’ve developed a bone spur on the front of my tibia from conventional pulling to the point I can do it very well any more. So the decision got made for me. Trying to become a sumo puller.

[/quote]

I can appreciate the scientific approach since I’m a chemist -we’re not quite as math-oriented as you physics folks, but close. I think you oversimplified things a bit, though; there’s an old adage that applies here: you can’t get something for nothing. The missing variable in your analysis is how the application of force changes with respect to the change in stance.

Have you ever noticed how even the best conventional deadlifters in the world fail their deadlifts closer to lockout, and rarely fail to break the bar off of the ground? And the best sumo deadlifters in the world either look like they’re doing a warm-up or never move the bar at all? In a conventional deadlift, the force produced to move the weight should roughly match the weight that is on the bar, since the force is applied mostly in the y-axis; in a sumo deadlift, the force is applied at an angle, so there is force “wasted” in the x-axis. Someone like Andrey Belyaev can lock out just about any weight he can move off of the ground, but Konstantin Konstantinovs might not be able to lock out a weight he gets all the way up to his knees (loss of grip notwithstanding).

Ultimately, your point about quad vs. hip activation was the key component here: your quads are far more active in a sumo deadlift because you have to supply far greater force with your legs to get the bar moving at all, compared to a conventional deadlifter’s hips having to be able to extend to finish the comparatively more difficult lock out. Its a trade off, so personal leverages/strengths are always going to be the deciding factor on which side of that trade you find yourself.

My buddy Willie Albert started pulling sumo and my other friend Sam Dube’ told me during that time he quit every time for months.

That was like 10 years ago and Willie went on to pull 325kg and 82.5 sumo.

Keep at it to the guy above

As a physics guy myself, I have found that any profound knowledge of physics beyond force vectors, torque, etc. really don’t help for any lift–quantum field theory doesn’t have huge applications when it comes to lifting iron. Bio-mechanics, on the other hand, I have found to be much more helpful in improving lifts.

If you mean EMG, then I have read more than one study that supports what you say.

[quote]TB284 wrote:

[/quote]

I can appreciate the scientific approach since I’m a chemist -we’re not quite as math-oriented as you physics folks, but close. I think you oversimplified things a bit, though; there’s an old adage that applies here: you can’t get something for nothing. The missing variable in your analysis is how the application of force changes with respect to the change in stance.

Have you ever noticed how even the best conventional deadlifters in the world fail their deadlifts closer to lockout, and rarely fail to break the bar off of the ground? And the best sumo deadlifters in the world either look like they’re doing a warm-up or never move the bar at all? In a conventional deadlift, the force produced to move the weight should roughly match the weight that is on the bar, since the force is applied mostly in the y-axis; in a sumo deadlift, the force is applied at an angle, so there is force “wasted” in the x-axis. Someone like Andrey Belyaev can lock out just about any weight he can move off of the ground, but Konstantin Konstantinovs might not be able to lock out a weight he gets all the way up to his knees (loss of grip notwithstanding).

Ultimately, your point about quad vs. hip activation was the key component here: your quads are far more active in a sumo deadlift because you have to supply far greater force with your legs to get the bar moving at all, compared to a conventional deadlifter’s hips having to be able to extend to finish the comparatively more difficult lock out. Its a trade off, so personal leverages/strengths are always going to be the deciding factor on which side of that trade you find yourself.[/quote]
Nice explanation.

[quote]HeavyTriple wrote:

If you mean EMG, then I have read more than one study that supports what you say.[/quote]

Post the study. I’d like to learn more about this as well.

Think about it this way.

A deadlift bar is 7 feet right? so if the shortest range of motion is best than why not put your feet out to the plates, do the splits, and stiff leg sumo the bar? That would be the shortest distance right?

So why would that suck? Hopefully I don’t actually have to explain it, but will if ppl don’t get it.

Why do some lifters feel they can lift more at a defecit? I’ve felt the same thing, and summed it up to being able to have more bar speed to get through my sticking point at my knees.

please discuss

Study: An electromyographic analysis of sumo and conventional style deadlifts - PubMed