T Nation

Why Wait 2-3 Years Before Using Steroids?

Why wait 2-3 years before using steroids?

I'm not planning on using steroids any time soon, but . . .
I have been lifting for about 1 year 6 months
continuously, dieting properly, I take protein, creatine, amino acids etc
I'm 31 yrs old, I train 1-2hrs 5Xper week, etc.
But I don't understand why I need to wait 2 more years
before I can consider it.

The way I see it is, if I do a cycle now I will improve
my size faster (more protein absorption=getting bigger),
so why not do it (properly, carefully, etc)
I would love bigger shoulders asap.
Then in January/February do a cutting cycle getting ready for summer.
Please some one explain why I shouldn't do a cycle now, why wait 2 more years.
Thanks

WHo told you to wait?

Do what you want. Youre an adult

what? great answer!! thanks, that helps a lot!!
You solved my dilemma,

Only mature answers with some kind of logic please.

Thanks

WHAT DILEMMA?

WHat's your reason for waiting?

I've read a lot that I have to wait 2-3 years before I do a cycle.
That if I do a cycle now I will loose my gains. That it's better to use my natural
testosterone before I do a cycle, that I have to plateau before using, etc.
But there isn't much info on when it is proper to do a cycle. I will not do
it until I know for sure what I'm doing. That's why I ask, is it proper to do
a cycle now? Will i retain my gains? Will a get a considerable muscle gain?
It's not in my plans to do it, I'm just playing with the idea.

Not a dilemma, wrong choice of words.
More of a question.

Will you retain the gains? That doesnt have much to do with when you cycle. Its more of how you go about coming off, which includes how fast you recover and what type of training and eating methods you use after the cycle.

How much you gain depends on a lot things. How much you eat, how much shit you use, how well you respond, how good your genetics are etc.

Whether you do a cycle is a personal choice. If you think you can make the gains youre looking for without steroids than maybe you shouldnt use. If youre worried about health risks, then maybe you shouldn't use.

If you just want opinions on whether youre ready, most will say no simply because you've been training for virtually no time at all.

And Id say that for most people the 2-3 years thing applies at the point when theyve "perfected" their diet and training. Not just 2-3 years in the gym doing who knows what while learning what works best for the particular person

I think you see people being told to wait more due to age. Often you will see a 16-18 year old who has trained "seriously" for 4 years and weighs in at 150lbs at 6ft tall asking about a cycle because they just can't possible gain without it. Even if you put aside the age in this case, this is a not a person who should bother with a cycle.

The general idea, at least on this board, is that you should know what you are doing before you try to push things. If you aren't gaining weight, then odds are your diet isn't as perfect as you claim. If you aren't getting stronger or bigger, then your training and diet probably aren't as perfect as you claim. People tend to think of steroids as a magic bean to cure all their woes. But if you can't take care of business without a cycle, then the cycle is going to be wasted anyway. So why bother. The wait for a while advice is more about helping the person in this case, not just telling them to wait for some arbitrary timeline.

In the end, people are free to do what they want. But wanting everything right now damnit! is just asking for trouble in the long run. Perhaps instead of thinking of it as a "wait 2-3 years", it would be better put that folks should learn to walk before they run.

I think the whole 2-3 years of diligent lifting past the age of 25 for a healthy male is regarding a natural base; or having progressed beyond a 'novice' level of training. If you have only worked out for 6-12 months you have maybe just begone to learn how to train, or maybe just hit your first plataeu. At the end of the day, it is your own choice.

There are many valid reasons though for why many on this sight have criticized/chided different people who come on here looking for advice regarding their first plunge into the world of steroids.

I'd start early. I'm fucking sick of protein powder.

Steroids are quite a large and tedious thing to manage.

Trying to use steroids when your new to lifting and proper diet/eating is like strapping rollerblades to a child that can barely walk.

They go faster downhill sure, but bad shit tends to happen, and the incident of horrible damage goes up significantly.

Even if nothing horrific happens, they still end up with little benefit and look retarded.

Alot of guys take steroids before they know what their doing and end up having really funny looking builds.

I have been lifting on and off for many years, but I have never put the effort and dedication to it 100% like I am doing now. I know how and what to do in the gym. I keep learning new stuff all the time, not perfect, but I have seen progress because of my consistency.
I know a lot about diets carbs, protein, fats, calories, etc, I've been on a diet my whole life trying to loose the last 10 lbs.

Now I want to get bigger, no more low carb diets.
I have been getting bigger, I notice it, and people say so too.
I'm doing all the supplements protein, amino acids, creatine, no-xplode, vitargo, multi vitamins.
I'm 31 not 20, so I want to look good as soon as possible.
I won't do it until I feel sure about what I'm doing. Thats why I ask about the 2-3 year waiting deal.
Thanks for the help everybody.

What you are talking about rocknrock, is exactly what a lot of us on here look for in someone who will eventually be ready to 'take the plunge' and will be informed, responsible, and have as close to maximal benefit with little detriment/risk. Keep doing what you are doing, and in maybe another 15lbs of muscle, or 50lbs per exercise, or 6 months from now; OR WHENEVER it is prudent, you should take that next step if it is what you want.

Just remember that once you enter the world of the performance enhanced, steroid taking 'darkside' it is opening up a lot of doors... and potentially closing others :wink:

What you are talking about rocknrock, is exactly what a lot of us on here look for in someone who will eventually be ready to 'take the plunge' and will be informed, responsible, and have as close to maximal benefit with little detriment/risk. Keep doing what you are doing, and in maybe another 15lbs of muscle, or 50lbs per exercise, or 6 months from now; OR WHENEVER it is prudent, you should take that next step if it is what you want.

Just remember that once you enter the world of the performance enhanced, steroid taking 'darkside' it is opening up a lot of doors... and potentially closing others :wink:

I think that any adult can make up his mind regarding this.

However, since you would like advice:

As others have recommended, I feel that gaining experience is extremely helpful before adding in the variable of AAS.

While experience cannot be directly attributed to temporal parameters (i.e. many people who have years in the gym still have no idea what they are doing or how to improve), I do feel that experience is well correlated to such parameters.

If you train intelligently, constantly assessing the variables at play in relation to your current level of progress, and changing certain variables to see how your body reacts and what works best for you, you will understand a great deal that will deeply benefit you throughout your training.

If, however, you add in the variable of AAS BEFORE you have an understanding of all other variables, it may well be (and this is true for many people I know), you will never understand your bodies reactions well, and use AAS as somewhat of a crutch rather than a support and asset to the rest of your training, diet, etc.

When making hard, even slow progress, and having to own up to a shitty diet slowing your progress, or poor sleep patterns, or few stress management skills, it forces you to deal with these issues in order to resume progress. You have a greater opportunity to perfect many aspects of training.

But, to reiterate BONEZ suggestion: You're an adult. AAS is a personal decision. Do whatever you want.

MID

Midnight amnesia makes a perfect statement regarding this... Bravo old chap buahahahhahahahahhaha!