Why Use Powerlifting Gear?

For me, I would solely be interested in using gear to crank up my body’s tolerance to heavy loads.

[quote]LUEshi wrote:
For me, I would solely be interested in using gear to crank up my body’s tolerance to heavy loads.[/quote]

Does a squat suit provide support like a belt?

Unless I’m mistaken, the lifter’s core still has to support the weight. That would be some real functional training: holding up more than you can squat raw, as you’re squatting it.

[quote]tom8658 wrote:
but if that’s the only advantage, why doesn’t everyone just save their time and money and compete raw?[/quote]

It’s a bit like sailing, you basically have to define some rules to keep it fair within classes. Then you leave it to the competitors to get the most out of those rules then govern them so that they don’t go outside the bounds.

Some classes are like the America’s Cup, the rules are set up to encourage pushing the boundaries of the gear; and others are like a “one-design”, everyone has to compete in the same gear.

At the end of the day the best sailors usually still win.

There’s tons of analogies about PL gear but I do like that one ^^^ DragnCarry

I use it because its part of the game

[quote]hoosegow wrote:
Forgive me if this is wrong. An old power lifting friend of mine explained that originally they were developed to increase stability and prevent injuries. People found that they could also lift heavier. Consequently an arms race ensued. Now different federations have different rules and to each their own.
[/quote]

I think the history goes something like:

Powerlifters noted they could lift more wearing tight jeans than loose gym clothes; hence the birth of the squat suit.
Knee / wrist wraps: a development of “ace” bandages.

Belt: development of the olympic belt; PLers turned it around to have the wider part at the front for more ab support, it soon developed into a belt 4" along it’s length.

Deadlift suit: a development of the squat suit.

Bench shirt, I’m not too sure but I think it was developed by inzer to lift more AND provide stability.

If anyone thinks some feds have rules that allow ridiculous gear, remember that they still have rules: I’m pretty sure ther is no “anything goes” fed (yet).

Finally I believe one of the first (USA or ‘World’) championships didn’t really have set rules for gear; thus some lifters were said to have used knee wraps with tennis balls behind the knee (not sure if I’d try it!) and whole torso wrapped in sheets, sort of a super supersuit.

I think it boils down to:
Gear helps you lift more (lifting more feels great!)
Different feds allow different ‘levels’ of gear, so its easy to find a level you comfortable with.
Anyone who objects to, or simply doesn’t like, gear doesn’t have to use it NO MATTER WHAT FED they lift in, read that again; gear is NOT compulsory in any fed I’ve ever heard of. Many lifters are ‘lifting against their self’ so it doesn’t matter if others beat them using gear.
Ther are, of course Raw competitions too.

Go lift where you please, as has been said each to his own.

Gear is fun. Squatting with 4 plies of poly fighting me on the way down is to belt &wraps squats what firing off a clip in an AK-47 on full auto is to plinking PBR cans with a .22 rifle. I train in gear year round- partially to get better at it and partially because that’s how I like to train.

Even if I decided gear wasnt’ really my thing anymore, I would still use light gear- breifs for squats and an old Inzer Blast to bench in. I’m no kid anymore and a little gear can make a big difference in how long you can continue to train heavy.

[quote]tom8658 wrote:
At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot, what’s the point of gear? Once you learn to use it, you can lift more weight, but if that’s the only advantage, why doesn’t everyone just save their time and money and compete raw?

Or is it some sort of equipment arms race? [/quote]

There is an equipment arms race. Look- we are men. Men like to have cool stuff- the highest quality shit we can buy. As long something better keeps coming out, I will keep buying.

[quote]tom8658 wrote:
At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot, what’s the point of gear? Once you learn to use it, you can lift more weight, but if that’s the only advantage, why doesn’t everyone just save their time and money and compete raw?

Or is it some sort of equipment arms race? [/quote]

Why bring a knife to a gun fight! Otherwords, why compete against other guys that are using equipment. There are federations that offer raw divisions, but I like using bp shirts.

Squat suit: squat more
Bp shirt: bp more
Dl suit: dl more

Simple as that!

TRAIN HARD

“BIG WILLIE” J.T. HALL

Someone one want to send a link to some cheap solid squat briefs? and how exactly do they work

[quote]bignate wrote:
someone one want to send a link to some cheap solid squat briefs? and how exactly do they work[/quote]

I would honestly start with a suit, just wear it straps down. That way you have the option to go straps up if you choose to.

Check eBay. They usually have some old inzer and titan suits on there for around 20 bucks or so. Also check out the classifieds on Fortified Iron.

[quote]bignate wrote:
someone one want to send a link to some cheap solid squat briefs? and how exactly do they work[/quote]

Briefs pack the meat, bone and lard in your ass tightly like a strong sausage casing. Making it harder to break at the hip and push back. The more you push back, the more the briefs load up the recoil.

Do yourself a favor- spend some real dough and get some solid gear that will last and give you some real carryover.

Titan Boss Briefs kick ass. They will put you back about $170- and they are worth every dime. I have a pair that I have used almost every week for three years. I also have avery tight pair I have used for meets for about two years. Ken Anderson sells Titan stuff and is very reponsive:

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Titan_support.php

I hear the Metal Ace briefs are good (never used the briefs- but I like my Ace suit). Some people like the Inzer Predators. Like the Boss briefs, these are heavy duty briefs that cost $160-$200 and will provide a lot of support for a long time.

/small hijack

What is the difference between erector shirts and normal squat/dl suits? I saw one guy wearing one at my comp (only comp).

Would an erector shirt be a good start before you use squat/deadlift suits?

[quote]bignate wrote:
Someone one want to send a link to some cheap solid squat briefs? and how exactly do they work[/quote]

Going off of what Pinto said, if you want top of the line briefs, Metal Ace, Inzer Predators or Titan Boss briefs are all options.

I have a pair Metal Ace briefs and love them. I also know several guys with huge squats that would take Predators over the Metal Ace briefs any day.

I have a pair of predators that I’ve never been able to get into (anyone interested in a pair of basically brand new predators size 28??) so I don’t know, maybe they are the best.

Just keep in mind, different feds have rules on briefs, and all of the briefs mentioned are double ply. I know nothing about single ply, just don’t get Frantz briefs and expect to get much out of them.

[quote]wiiwii wrote:
/small hijack

What is the difference between erector shirts and normal squat/dl suits? I saw one guy wearing one at my comp (only comp).

[/quote]

An erector shir is nothing like a bench shirt or suits. In my opinion its just a waste of money, they have not been proven to work.

[quote]Pinto wrote:
I hear the Metal Ace briefs are good (never used the briefs- but I like my Ace suit). Some people like the Inzer Predators. Like the Boss briefs, these are heavy duty briefs that cost $160-$200 and will provide a lot of support for a long time.[/quote]

I wear preds for training and Ace for competition. The preds don’t give a whole lot for me, but the Ace are fucking sick. Huge pop and support from them.

[quote]wiiwii wrote:

[/quote]

No, waste of money.

Stone the crows! We are in danger of having a rational, resonable debate regarding powerlifting equipment! Good stuff :slight_smile:

As others have said there is no reall need to come up with an analogy. Gear developed for whatever reason and that is now the sport of powerlifting, or at least the majority.

Gear is hard work but fun. I personally think in general it’s more physically and mentally demanding than raw work.

[quote]IainK wrote:
Stone the crows! We are in danger of having a rational, resonable debate regarding powerlifting equipment! Good stuff :slight_smile:

As others have said there is no reall need to come up with an analogy. Gear developed for whatever reason and that is now the sport of powerlifting, or at least the majority.

Gear is hard work but fun. I personally think in general it’s more physically and mentally demanding than raw work. [/quote]

Agreed, going into a raw competitions I am much less stressed. Gear brings to light many different variables.

[quote]Pinto wrote:
There is an equipment arms race. Look- we are men. Men like to have cool stuff- the highest quality shit we can buy. As long something better keeps coming out, I will keep buying.
[/quote]

What a great explanation.

In a sport that’s about lifting the most weight, shit that lets you lift more weight is clearly an advantage.

And who doesn’t like to buy cool new stuff?

Thank you for the replies, no need to waste my money on erector shirts then.

I don’t know that I would get the top of the line gear for first time users. Just because you can, doesn’t mean you have to. You can get something cheap that is gentle and comfortable, which won’t give you much, but will give you a feel for what it’s like. And if you decide you like raw lifting better, then the cheap stuff will have a greater carryover.

I have a pair of legless (Crain’s) briefs that are comfortable enough to put on before I drive to the gym. I always wear them. I can do Olympic squats with no weight with them on. But they feel good.

I also have other two ply briefs and a couple of squat suits that I wear. It’s addicting. But I always wear those briefs. It’s like training raw without the pain.