Why Use a High Box?

[quote]Pemdas wrote:
johnnytang24 wrote:
Yeah, high box squats are ridiculous, just like board presses are ridiculous, and floor presses are ridiculous, and rack pulls are ridiculous, and any other type of partial is ridiculous. There is absolutely no use, ever, for doing partials in one’s routine.

Some ridiculous people do use them to get used to heavier weight in the stronger part of the movement.

I hope this sarcasm because otherwise you made yourself look like a retard.

High box squats are a good lift to train your deadlift with because your hips are in approximately the same position as the would be at the start of a deadlift. [/quote]

You really need to get your Internet Sarcasm Detector checked out dude. Johnny Tang’s answer is the best of the thread that I’ve read thus far. Not to mention that not everybody competes in the squat. I’m toying with the idea of doing above parallel squat for a while and seeing if that helps my strongman events.

I use high box squatting all the time.

Why? To stroke my ego for one thing.

But mostly because it builds strength just like any other partial and when used appropriately it works well.

[quote]johnnytang24 wrote:
Pinto wrote:
I used to like a higher box. The logic was that I never had depth issues at meets so I might as well put some real weight on the bar and squat high. I was also doing these to train my sumo pull (I have since switched back to conventional) and the higher hip postiiton mimicked my sumo starting position.

So do you not believe in using a higher box anymore? Why not?

Thanks.[/quote]

I think it’s still a useful training technique. However, I really don’t do much in the way of raw box squats anymore. When I box-squat now, I usually am going heavy with tight briefs, and suit/wraps on the top sets. I feel like my gear-technique is best suited by squatting to legit depth on a box. Besides, the gear is still gviing some pop off the box so you can still take some serious weight to depth.

I think you can get a similar effect by doing reverse band squats to a parallel box. I really like these as a raw/light gear lift.

Why do above parallel box squats?
The appropriate height for box squats varies for every athlete. If you can’t do a parallel box squat without excessive rocking or if you fall onto the box, then you’ll need to use a higher box.

And High Box Squats aren’t really that high. There’s a big difference between an 18’ Squat Box and a 24’ Squat Box.

[quote]Hanley wrote:

My hips are good til just about two inches above //, then they shoot back so I can be in a better position to finish the rep out Squat 170x5 - YouTube

[/quote]

They do shoot back. That’s interesting. I have never seen that before. It is definitly a problem. If anything you should be pulling your hips forward. Do you consciously spread the floor with your knees. It looks like they might be coming in a little, but it is hard to tell. Regardless of whether or not they are coming in, I think if consciously force them out as hard as you can your hips will automatically come forward instead of shooting back.

[quote]FightingScott wrote:
Why do above parallel box squats?
The appropriate height for box squats varies for every athlete. If you can’t do a parallel box squat without excessive rocking or if you fall onto the box, then you’ll need to use a higher box.

And High Box Squats aren’t really that high. There’s a big difference between an 18’ Squat Box and a 24’ Squat Box. [/quote]

agreed. If you guys aretalking about the boxes they use for the athletes at my highschool, all they do is teach them that partial knee bends are tthe way to go. They are 24" or higher easilly. as in they also use the boxes for jump drills in plyos.

Not to mention it’s way unsafe for a kid in a weighttraining class who’s lifted for maybe 4-5 months to be using a weight probably 50+ pounds more or higher then he actually should be using. Also since there are maybe 10-12 guys at my school total who squat to even close to legal depth, I blame the ridiculously high boxes for teaching them dumb bad habits. My school is horrible when it comes to strength.

We have all the dumbshit people+ some 250+ pound lady who doesnt excercise, and talks on her cell phone the entire time working the desk at the weightroom. She also plays the shittiest pop music there is. I want her to die.

In my opinion a 24’ box by itself is a silly thing. It’s too high for squatting, and too low for box jumps. High-rep box jumps are stupid, so arguing that a 24’ box is useful for a set of 10 box jumps is also stupid.

I could see them being practical for…

Heavy or De-conditioned trainees who are progressing through different box jump heights.

Weighted Box Jumps

1-Legged Box jumps

But really, if you have a 24’ box you should also have a box 36’ or higher.

[quote]FightingScott wrote:
In my opinion a 24’ box by itself is a silly thing. It’s too high for squatting, and too low for box jumps. High-rep box jumps are stupid, so arguing that a 24’ box is useful for a set of 10 box jumps is also stupid.

I could see them being practical for…

Heavy or De-conditioned trainees who are progressing through different box jump heights.

Weighted Box Jumps

1-Legged Box jumps

But really, if you have a 24’ box you should also have a box 36’ or higher. [/quote]

they have those too, they stagger then usualy when they do jumps, but all the shitheads use them to squat onto too (the 2 foot ones).