T Nation

Why the Weight Fluctuations?

So, i started a sensible bulk, measuring my self every 2 weeks to see if i should up the cals.
I went from 2100cals to 2400 cals, 2 weeks later my weight went up 65.7kg to 66.3. i thought that was sensible progress.
weighed my self the next week just for shits and giggles and came in at 67.1kg. i thought blimey that was an increase, anyhoe i weighed my self today (day after the 67.1kg) to double check if i had really gone up so much and my weight was 65.7kg!

everytime i weigh my self i do it first thing in the morning after going to the toilet, why the drastic changes, i did remeber feeling bloated on the 67.1kg weigh in which is why i weighed myself again today, i also measure my waist line which has pretty much jumps around like my weight.
any tips on how to find an accurate weight. i have a very accurate digital scale, so i know its not my scales!

weigh yourself once a week on the same day, in the same shorts, at the time, same food content, etc.

and chill the fuck out, are you getting stronger? muscles are probably growing then, just keep at it.

I agree with daneq. It’s either water weight or new muscles. You have probably read many times to weight yourself weekly… it’s because scale numbers jump up and down after a few days for different reasons.

Even if you were able to gain, hypothetically, several pounds in one week, it wouldn’t be solid muscle weight anyway. There are many things to consider when you weigh yourself. Water is the biggest culprit of ‘magical gains’. Just like taking a crap the morning after a huge pig out meal will create a magical weight loss (I looked so shredded, WTF?!) -lol

S

[quote]daneq wrote:
weigh yourself once a week on the same day, in the same shorts, at the time, same food content, etc.

and chill the fuck out, are you getting stronger? muscles are probably growing then, just keep at it.[/quote]

this is spot on, and don’t worry about the exact numbers, your weight can fluctuate 2-5 lbs easily one day to the next, it is trends over an extended period of time you are looking for. this will then tell you wether to increase/decrease calories depending what your goals are.remember,this takes TIME!

[quote]alit4 wrote:
<<< your weight can fluctuate 2-5 lbs easily one day to the next, >>>[/quote]

Or even in the same day over several hours.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
alit4 wrote:
<<< your weight can fluctuate 2-5 lbs easily one day to the next, >>>

Or even in the same day over several hours.[/quote]

Even over the course of a shit, if you do it right (or is it wrong?).