Why the Hate for Nickelback?

*Anvil Levgrine

There’s plenty of us, buddy.

I would rank Nirvana as one of my favorite bands, but I don’t agree with this at all. (I mean this in a non-argumentative way, as music tastes like this are subjective. I’m just providing my viewpoint). I wouldn’t say I hate the Foo Fighters, just like I don’t hate plain yogurt or unflavored seltzer water. It’s like 90’s-themed elevator music with no personality or creativity.

Grohl may very well be a nice person, but so is my Aunt and I won’t be listening to an album she puts out. To me, he oozes inauthenticity, cheesiness, and cringe-worthiness. But not in a calculated or manipulative way, more in an “Olive Garden” bread sticks kind of way.

1 Like

From his generation, who would you put ahead of him as a frontman?

And curiously who would you pick as the top 3 rock bands of the last 25 years? Not your favorite 3, but the best 3.

Wrong, he’s the Devil. I have video evidence:

2 Likes

From the 90’s, and going for more “frontmen” so I’m leaving off people like J Mascis, David Berman, and Stephen Malkmus who fronted awesome bands but wouldn’t be compelling frontmen:

Eddie Vedder
Chris Cornell
Chris Robinson
Layne Staley
Mike Patterson
Ian MacKaye
Shannon Hoon
Michael Stipe
David Yow
Kurt Cobain
Thom Yorke
Jack White
plus lots of others, but these are quick ones I can think of.

This is tough. 25 years goes back to 1995, so I’ll limit it to bands that produced their best work in this timeframe. This takes out Dinosaur Jr, Pavement, Black Crowes, Blind Melon, Fugazi, Pearl Jam, U2, and REM, who still put out music since then, but not their best stuff.

Quite possibly:
The Hold Steady
Drive By Truckers
Wilco
My Morning Jacket. (although their recent stuff not as much)
Built to Spill

1 Like

He ain’t no David Gilmour.

Wowee Zowee came out in 1995.

Craig Finn, now there’s a God.

1 Like

Because Les Claypool, as the kids say, slaps.

2 Likes

On subject, though, I always mentally confuse Nickleback with Puddle of Mudd. Anyone remember them?

These guys suck. It sounds like they’re all playing a different song at the same time.

1 Like

Great album. But their three best are Slanted and Enchanted, CR/CR, and Woowee Zowee, and 2/3 came out before 1995.

And twangs:

Just looking for an excuse to post a this because I think it’s awesome

1 Like

Yeah, I try to forget Puddle of Mudd every day since Wes heard he sounds like Kurt Cobain and tried to be him.

Some genius filtered out all the other stuff and put a video of just Wes, a capella on that song.

They’re both disasters, but if you need a good laugh and don’t mind cringing uncontrollably, give them a watch.